Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise ŕ jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2023, 12:30 am

I was in Chelsea lounge today and overheard two guests next to me discussing how they had bought an AA award seat in F, just so that they could access Chelsea instead of Soho, and then cancelled the ticket... Presumably on a different flight so that they didnt have multiple seats on one flight.
But surely AA tracks this stuff? Feels risky for some Krug...
Old Feb 19, 2023, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by djdw905
I was in Chelsea lounge today and overheard two guests next to me discussing how they had bought an AA award seat in F, just so that they could access Chelsea instead of Soho, and then cancelled the ticket... Presumably on a different flight so that they didnt have multiple seats on one flight.
AA explicitly list this action as being against their Conditions of Carriage

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...f-carriage.jsp

Prohibited booking practicesReservations made to exploit or circumvent fare and ticket rules are prohibited.. Examples include (but are not limited to):
  • Purchasing a ticket without intending to fly all flights to gain lower fares (hidden city ticketing)
  • Buying a ticket without intending to travel, including to gain access to our airport lounges or other facilities
  • Combining 2 or more roundtrip excursion fares end-to-end to circumvent minimum stay requirements (back-to-back ticketing
If we find evidence that you or your agent are using a prohibited practice, we reserve the right to:
  • Cancel any unused part of the ticket
  • Refuse to let the passenger fly and check bags
  • Not refund an otherwise refundable ticket
  • Charge you for what the ticket would have cost if you hadn't booked it fraudulently
djdw905 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 3:06 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
let alone a 50/50 chance of krug! but it would likely take several offenses before the pax were caught out
djdw905 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC
How is this possible if they’re at the airport ? Surely they needed to check in and get the boarding pass to gain entry to the lounge, so how could they then cancel the ticket ?
Old Feb 19, 2023, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Domestic Flagship First tickets could be cancelled easily online if they are fully flexible. Also since the Chelsea Lounge is an AA/BA joint-lounge AA would have evidence on their system that they entered the lounge rather than a contract lounge billing them weeks ahead.

But AA audit is pretty strong as the previous post and they do have a team that follows-up and chases these customers so I'll never suggest doing that.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 7:18 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by VSLover
let alone a 50/50 chance of krug! but it would likely take several offenses before the pax were caught out
More like a 5/95 chance.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 7:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by bafan
How is this possible if they’re at the airport ? Surely they needed to check in and get the boarding pass to gain entry to the lounge, so how could they then cancel the ticket ?
There have been plenty of occasions where people have asked on here about doing the same thing to get access to the CCR (or other lounges). Cancel at the last minute and just leave the airport.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

One can never overstate the quite remarkable propensity of a section (albeit a very narrow section, thankfully) of current-day society to do almost anything to exploit the opportunity for some ‘free’ food & drink, using whatever nefarious means possible. It’s always been a major attraction for certain folk, and always will be I guess.

IIRC, there was once a post here on BAEC about a couple of Silver guys who used to buy the very cheapest same day return in Y, to LHR from Oslo, every month or so, just so they could spend several hours in Galleries …… so not even the F lounge !! Seem to recall their ‘justification’ was that eating out in their home city of Oslo is really expensive ……. and this was their regular treat. They didn’t even bother going into town whilst on UK soil. Go figure !

And then over on the EK forum, there was a guy hatching some bizarre scheme in an attempt to gain access to the F lounge at DXB, more than 24 hours before his departing flight was due. He put his plan to the forum members, to test its feasibility, the vast majority of whom rolled their eyes in despair (metaphorically speaking) ; though a couple of FT-ers were - perhaps not surprisingly - more of the mindset of “good on ya, mate …… I might try that myself next time”
Markie likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 12:52 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by Genius1
You can use the First check-in area, the exit from which leads you to near the front of the security line. Straight ahead is TSA PreCheck, and to the left are the main lines which you merge with if not PreCheck-eligible.
Thank you all; flew back last night! We were initially turned away from fast track as we were already checked in and had no actual luggage to offload. This came from the AA staffer - unusually 'kurt' sadly - but a BA staffer nearby did overhear and took us to the front of the left main lines as described and was delightful, so thank you. Only took two minutes from this point to get to the lifts up.

Lounge experience was even weirder; great experience and great food I found. On sharing pictures in a group it appears we were in the Chelsea lounge, not Soho as we should have been. Absolutely no idea how or why this happened!

Leaving only 90 minutes from Bryant Park to flight departure was probably too close to repeat again!

Overall lounge was great, the staff amazing airside and all in all a great experience!
crazyarmadillo and Arsey00 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Just want to say it was NOT me.... I do want some Krug but i wouldn do that.

Have to say though if you're going to do that I would think it would be smart to have your actual flight on UA or DL or just not a OW airline but to be flying on a diff. AA flight and have the other one just for the lounge is risky. Or even just cancel and leave airport is safer than what it sounds like these people did.

I bought an AA JFK-BOS ticket to get back airside at JFK and cancelled it immediately but I had FFD access legitimately.

At any rate I think that if you only do what they did a few x it probably wont catch up to you.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
One can never overstate the quite remarkable propensity of a section (albeit a very narrow section, thankfully) of current-day society to do almost anything to exploit the opportunity for some ‘free’ food & drink, using whatever nefarious means possible. It’s always been a major attraction for certain folk, and always will be I guess.

IIRC, there was once a post here on BAEC about a couple of Silver guys who used to buy the very cheapest same day return in Y, to LHR from Oslo, every month or so, just so they could spend several hours in Galleries …… so not even the F lounge !! Seem to recall their ‘justification’ was that eating out in their home city of Oslo is really expensive ……. and this was their regular treat. They didn’t even bother going into town whilst on UK soil. Go figure !

And then over on the EK forum, there was a guy hatching some bizarre scheme in an attempt to gain access to the F lounge at DXB, more than 24 hours before his departing flight was due. He put his plan to the forum members, to test its feasibility, the vast majority of whom rolled their eyes in despair (metaphorically speaking) ; though a couple of FT-ers were - perhaps not surprisingly - more of the mindset of “good on ya, mate …… I might try that myself next time”
I remember that (from Norway- not sure where) but didn't they fly into T3? Pretty good lounge options there as gold.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
66 pages and nearly three months in and I don't believe we've had a photo of the steak posted yet.

It may be a coincidence, but the Official Loch Ness Sightings Register hasn't had a reported sighting of Nessie since late October 2022: http://www.lochnesssightings.com/
Old Feb 20, 2023, 2:36 pm

In Chelsea now. Boring to be honest. Just Moët, not even Ruinart Blanc de Blancs available. Overheard manager say two bottles of Dom missing yesterday…… think they have a leak.
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by morat121
In Chelsea now. Boring to be honest. Just Moët, not even Ruinart Blanc de Blancs available. Overheard manager say two bottles of Dom missing yesterday…… think they have a leak.
LPGS was the "guest" last week- has it now gone?
Old Feb 20, 2023, 3:58 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Got to love the JV

Coming in from RNO/PHX heading to ORF via JFK.
Chelsea says "Not sure" then "No go over to Soho"
Soho say "International only got to Greenwich, GGL doesn't matter" Very junior BA and AA staff on this.
Greenwich sends somebody over with me and corrects Soho and makes sure that I get in there.
Complained to AA, waiting to hear back from them.
84/15 I'll just get blown off.
LCSinTexas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.