Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise ŗ jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Feb 1, 2023, 6:31 am
  #886  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 842
Originally Posted by golfmad
Good grief, it's only been a few days. I can't keep up.
I'm not sure the "including transcon" version even lasted a few days

But given it's taken BA 2 months to update the web site - you'd think after all the time faffing around, they would actually get it right.

Clearly they can make quick changes, because they updated it pretty quickly again.
Markie likes this.
zen100 is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:10 am
  #887  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 914
Originally Posted by xenole
I <snip>
It pretty much stems down to what champagne is on offer. The fancier it is, then things are overlooked.
Sorry, I disagree. Think you suggested same upthread - that available champagne was a major decision factor. If it was a choice between, say the LHR T3 QF lounge and JFK Chelsea, I'd much prefer the QF lounge regardless of the champagne/sparkling on offer.

No matter whether it's Krug/LPGS/Other in Chelsea, the place is just not welcoming at all IMHO. For food, atmosphere and comfort any QF lounge wins. The JFK lounges are without any doubt a downgrade in all respects on both the previous BA and AA offerings.

YMMV
EuropeanPete and jjLDNY like this.
David_Doyle is offline  
Old Feb 1, 2023, 11:04 pm
  #888  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: JFK/EWR/SFO/LAX/YYZ <-> HKG, PEK, CKG
Programs: CX, Hyatt
Posts: 158
Looks like things might still be in the chaotic phase.

Last at T8 in Nov, and haven't since the chart.

Given those entitled to a higher tier lounge can access the lower tiers, how would guest access translate over, given the lower tier lounges' access rules do not seem to stipulate such in those events. For example, does one with Chelsea access always get at least 1 guest in Soho / Greenwich, and in which cases / for which lounge 2 guests?
PacificSunrise is offline  
Old Feb 2, 2023, 9:08 am
  #889  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,372
Originally Posted by PacificSunrise
Looks like things might still be in the chaotic phase.

Last at T8 in Nov, and haven't since the chart.

Given those entitled to a higher tier lounge can access the lower tiers, how would guest access translate over, given the lower tier lounges' access rules do not seem to stipulate such in those events. For example, does one with Chelsea access always get at least 1 guest in Soho / Greenwich, and in which cases / for which lounge 2 guests?
Yes, they always get 1 guest, and can be guested into the highest tier lounge accessible for the primary passenger, and the lounges below it. I don't think there is ever a time when one would get two guests, and guesting privileges are usually not stackable. The only exception may be CK where immediate family under a certain age are admitted (not sure if the same is true for GGL), although I don't know if that allowance applies only to Soho.
DMPHL is offline  
Old Feb 2, 2023, 6:54 pm
  #890  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: So Cal
Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Posts: 2,925
Anyone happen to be at Chelsea now? Or even tomorrow would help. Trying to find out if both Krug and LPGS are still there or at least one of them.

Looking at going Saturday afternoon but can fly direct to DCA if no LPGS or Krug.

Thanks in advance
happiest_at_40000 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:52 pm
  #891  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North West, UK
Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,002
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Anyone happen to be at Chelsea now? Or even tomorrow would help. Trying to find out if both Krug and LPGS are still there or at least one of them. Looking at going Saturday afternoon but can fly direct to DCA if no LPGS or Krug. Thanks in advance 
I was in the Chelsea lounge on Fri and Mon last weekend and neither were on the menu.

However, all of the meals on the menu were available.
billinghamn is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2023, 12:32 am
  #892  
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: London, UK
Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGLfL
Posts: 12,200
I wrote to Sean Doyle about the access issues last week and got a call from a team members on GGL on Tuesday. I sent through all the places where the web site contradicts itself on access and she had found others. I found another and sent her a further email. She told me that she has collated all the sources she has found that describe access and has forwarded it to the appropriate BA staff. Let's hope this gets resolved, but I had feeling that it might not be a quick solution.
MaxFlyer, aks120, ExpatExp and 5 others like this.
Markie is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2023, 5:51 am
  #893  
Moderator: Qatar Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LHR/NCE/MIA
Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Posts: 9,048
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Anyone happen to be at Chelsea now? Or even tomorrow would help. Trying to find out if both Krug and LPGS are still there or at least one of them.

Looking at going Saturday afternoon but can fly direct to DCA if no LPGS or Krug.

Thanks in advance
Krug was there on Friday, Sunday & Monday this week on request at the bar only.

M
Football Fan and jjLDNY like this.
msm2000uk is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:18 am
  #894  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: LDN / NY
Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 552
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Krug was there on Friday, Sunday & Monday this week on request at the bar only.
This is good to hear. Various gripes aside, if they step up the F&B (which is the only thing immediately in their control - not getting into the access stuff) at least we can go there expecting to enjoy that time before moving over to the Soho.

I think what we're all waiting for now is to see the long overdue updated food menu if anyone can ask when they next head in. I'm avoiding JFK.

Reminder of the opening menu for the Chelsea with 4 real protein dishes and not the kids meal options of a burger and fish & chips (I love fish & chips, but it has no place as 1 of 3 options on a First class menu).

jjLDNY is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:24 am
  #895  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 13,407
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
I'm avoiding JFK.
You make it sound like youíre avoiding JFK because of the lounge issue. Is that because there are better airport lounges elsewhere? If so, care to enlighten us?

Iím traveling through Boston tomorrow rather than JFK. For the avoidance of doubt itís because I found a far better deal. Nothing to do with lounges.
golfmad is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:40 am
  #896  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: LDN / NY
Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 552
Originally Posted by golfmad
You make it sound like you’re avoiding JFK because of the lounge issue. Is that because there are better airport lounges elsewhere? If so, care to enlighten us?

I’m traveling through Boston tomorrow rather than JFK. For the avoidance of doubt it’s because I found a far better deal. Nothing to do with lounges.
A mix of convenience and there not being any meaningful value for my 'super rare and enviable status for very frequent flyers' from BA's most important NA hub.

To your point, no point paying extra to fly from/through JFK, spending 15 extra minutes in an uber or even opting for BA/OW. I'll use the Centurion lounge and get comparable F&B to Soho with no airline status.
jjLDNY is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:51 am
  #897  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,170
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Sorry, I disagree. Think you suggested same upthread - that available champagne was a major decision factor. If it was a choice between, say the LHR T3 QF lounge and JFK Chelsea, I'd much prefer the QF lounge regardless of the champagne/sparkling on offer.

No matter whether it's Krug/LPGS/Other in Chelsea, the place is just not welcoming at all IMHO. For food, atmosphere and comfort any QF lounge wins. The JFK lounges are without any doubt a downgrade in all respects on both the previous BA and AA offerings.

YMMV
You clearly haven't frequented the Auckland QF lounge...
babyg_wc is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:57 am
  #898  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Posts: 1,446
Originally Posted by golfmad
You make it sound like youíre avoiding JFK because of the lounge issue. Is that because there are better airport lounges elsewhere? If so, care to enlighten us?

Iím traveling through Boston tomorrow rather than JFK. For the avoidance of doubt itís because I found a far better deal. Nothing to do with lounges.
Stay warm. Looks chilly in NE US at the moment.
golfmad likes this.
Rubecula is online now  
Old Feb 3, 2023, 9:26 am
  #899  
Moderator: Qatar Airways
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: LHR/NCE/MIA
Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Posts: 9,048
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
This is good to hear. Various gripes aside, if they step up the F&B (which is the only thing immediately in their control - not getting into the access stuff) at least we can go there expecting to enjoy that time before moving over to the Soho.

I think what we're all waiting for now is to see the long overdue updated food menu if anyone can ask when they next head in. I'm avoiding JFK.

Reminder of the opening menu for the Chelsea with 4 real protein dishes and not the kids meal options of a burger and fish & chips (I love fish & chips, but it has no place as 1 of 3 options on a First class menu).

I will agree that the menu needs to change, but I'll also say the current CCR menu is not to my tastes.

The Chelsea staff, including the manager (who's name I have forgotten) did say they were acutely aware of the issues, and staff have been encouraged to report feedback from customers.

One of the SS staff who looked after me alluded to the menu choices being limited, and then said there is both the Soho buffet and Chelsea bar menu - but also apparently a sit down menu in Soho...anyone tried that?

M
aks120 and KARFA like this.
msm2000uk is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2023, 11:11 am
  #900  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: BA Gold, IB Silver, TP Gold
Posts: 95
I could be wrong but it's the same Menu since 18th December & 11th January 23.
DTCFlyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.