Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise à jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2023, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by zeer0
JFK-SFO or JFK-LAX has tons of F award space that opens last minute (like within 3-7 days of departure). That'll get ya in.
That's a good idea! What's typical pricing with AS, BA, or AA miles?
Old Feb 23, 2023, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare
This thread is way more active than the Soho thread.

So I’ll probably never make it as a GGL, are there “cheap” AA first-class flights from JFK that will give me a chance to check out this lounge for myself? As a OWE, I'm only able to check out Soho.
You can sometimes get $849 JFK-LAX one way in F. Or to San Fran I guess. Usually $1549 is a price I see though and sometimes and often its $2300-3500. With AA miles they have some great web specials. 50K fairly often if its somewhat last minute and Saturdays seem best. 43K has been there a lot lately. By adding a diff city as the final stop you can sometimes get it down even lower. I just got LAX-JFK-ORF for 33.5K miles which is a great price for F on that route. I actually have to go Norfolk so its not really a true hidden city where you just wouldnt fly it. Same flight if I just priced it as LAX-JFK was 55K but went down to 33.5K by adding in ORF.

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
No - the same. The wine selection is also fairly meh unless there is one red that is the carafe then that one is usually a fairly decent around USD $50 red, otherwise it is USD $15-20 for the reds and whites. It is only that they usually have 3 whites, 1-2 rose and 3 reds to select from - so you can usually find one. The bar in SYD/MEL will not make anything that is not on the official and very limited list - you can ask for the ingredients as "shots" and then make your own (e.g. aperol spritz f.ex.) - I kid you not. (much to the embarrassment of the bar person who is not allowed to pour said ingredients in one glass).
Wow thats all really disappointing to hear. I have had QF F at SYD on my bucket list for a while. However, after doing Al Safwa last summer I really think there is no better lounge out there but still I have high hops for QF F down under.

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
QF First Class Lounge at LAX typically offers Mumm, Taittinger and Piper.
Dont recall them having Piper but had Piper at FL before walking over to QF. I think there may have not been a 3rd one at QF F that I tried. Mumm was suggested so I tried that and then inquired about something more premium and was poured some Tattinger. I cant recall which it was but one of them I really did not care for. The Piper was my fav. of the 3 for sure. I'm new to the whole champagne world but if I like Piper over Tattinger by a lot and LPGS over Dom by a lot also does this mean I like a certain type of vintage, grape, production, style, etc??
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by happiest_at_40000; Feb 25, 2023 at 11:04 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old Feb 25, 2023, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Just spent a few hours here before the redeye. As promised, I’ll start with the positives:
  • The mains portion of the menu is indeed an improvement over what I’ll call the “day two” menu.
  • The sole and steak were solid choices. Steak came out rare to medium rare , though I’m not the biggest fan of automatically tossing the butter on top of the steak.
  • Bar staff were quite attentive, could make the cocktails on the menu and acknowledged the shortcomings on the beverage front.
  • Hattingley is in stock I actually prefer it over the other in-stock choices.
  • Lighting is not as hospital-like.
  • It is not a bad lounge, but it is still not on point with its predecessors.
Areas for improvement
  • No LPGS or other legitimate premium offerings (including the blanc de blanc). The “premium” champagne was the LP Rose, which ran out. A manager found a couple of warm cases in the back, which were subsequently chilled.
  • We are all aware that Blue is not stocked, but scotch / whiskey offerings have further declined since my last visit in mid-January.
  • The wine list is no longer offered and choices seem to be based on what’s in stock (the Chianti was good).
  • Food timing - slow. The Sole came out quickly (ordered just before the first bank of TATL flights), but the other orders were slow. I had to depart before receiving the olive oil cake.
  • Staffing - definitely a bit light, which was indicated by the manager collecting glassware etc. from vacated seating areas.

Someone mentioned it up-thread, but spending time here should make one better appreciate the T5 CCR.

Menu has improved.

Cocktails — the Bandolero Ciego was quite good, and I don’t usually go for cocktails.

Not bad, but I make a better salad at home…

Despite its appearance, I’d get again.

Restaurant quality steak frites. Only point of feedback is to not toss butter on top.

And for kicks — the typical “hot” turnaround, just like a rental car. I’m pretty sure the tray area was not wiped down.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 7:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I’m glad to read about the improvements. I’ve only been twice, but the first time I had no meal at all as my order apparently got lost twice (the bar staff did go in the kitchen and find me some soup, salad, and chips just before I left), and the second time I had to have my 4th choice, the curry because they were out of everything else.

I learned a strange tidbit on my second visit—I asked about the ghiradelli squares that used to welcome us in the CCR and everyone rolled their eyes and informed me that those in the know were sure that “first class passengers don’t like sweet things.”
Old Feb 25, 2023, 8:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
… Dont recall them having Piper but had Piper at FL before walking over to QF. I think there may have not been a 3rd one at QF F that I tried. Mumm was suggested so I tried that and then inquired about something more premium and was poured some Tattinger. I cant recall which it was but one of them Ir eally didnt care for. The Piper was my fav. of the 3 for sure. I'm new to the whole champagnge world but if I like Piper over Tattinger by a lot and LPGS over Dom by a lot also does this mean I like a certain type of vintage, grape, production, style, etc??
I think you and I have a very similar palate when it comes to champagne, whilst many on here would take issue with Piper being described as premium, I agree with your ranking … and especially about Dom - I just cannot countenance it!
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I think you and I have a very similar palate when it comes to champagne, whilst many on here would take issue with Piper being described as premium, I agree with your ranking … and especially about Dom - I just cannot countenance it!
Nice !! Ya I was so not impressed with Dom over the summer while on EK F. And def. enjoy Piper and absolutely love LPGS. I really need to try Krug. And I want to try Salon. I am going to be flying JL F very soon but can only do it one way and I am torn between going from LA where the food menu sounds so much better and you get 2 hours longer or going from JL to get Salon.

If you have any other champagnes you like based on our shared style we like plz Pm me.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
. I am going to be flying JL F very soon but can only do it one way and I am torn between going from LA where the food menu sounds so much better and you get 2 hours longer or going from JL to get Salon.

If you have any other champagnes you like based on our shared style we like plz Pm me.
I have always found JL F food to be better ex Japan and the Salon is exquisite

Another Champagne which may suit you is Taittinger Comtes de Champagne
ryanbriar and alex67500 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 7:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Honestly, they're all basic NV Champagnes at roughly similar price points (maybe Taittinger a few $ more), and while I like all three (and thus view the Mumm's Cordon Rouge and Piper as good values) they're not really First class quality bottles. Of course neither is Moet IMO (which, like many of the LVMH-owned houses, I don't particularly care for, for whatever reason). Really wish they could be more consistent at Chelsea. Going in a couple weeks, will keep my expectations low.
Absolutely. If you're going to have a NV champagnes in that price range, then I'd rather have LP like in CX first in LHR T3. Or maybe Bollinger if we're in Taittinger's price range. I was happy to see the Ultra Brut from LP, but nobody has even mentioned it once since the press opening so I'm guessing it isn't going to make an appearance at all...
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
27 Feb Visit 4-630 pm

Not much to say beyond what’s been said above. The LP rosé is a far cry from the Krüg offered three ancient months ago. If you’re a Möet fan this is the place for you.. Ruinart is on the menu but not available.
My first introduction to the staff was one guy chastising the woman who poured my first glass of bubbly for exceeding 5 ounces. Classy. Almost as classy as the loud dishwasher running regularly behind the bar during my visit, and bartenders dumping unfinished food into the trash bin behind the bar and scraping the plates when necessary.
Food was quite good tho. See pics.

Old Feb 27, 2023, 9:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by st530
Not much to say beyond what’s been said above. The LP rosé is a far cry from the Krüg offered three ancient months ago. If you’re a Möet fan this is the place for you.. Ruinart is on the menu but not available.
My first introduction to the staff was one guy chastising the woman who poured my first glass of bubbly for exceeding 5 ounces. Classy. Almost as classy as the loud dishwasher running regularly behind the bar during my visit, and bartenders dumping unfinished food into the trash bin behind the bar and scraping the plates when necessary.
Food was quite good tho. See pics.
That bloody dishwasher! What an absolute racket, although it IS the only thing in the whole lounge that stops people overhearing each others’ conversations.

I can only imagine that it was installed in the bar by the same committee that designed the sinks in the toilets!
Markie, Football Fan and st530 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
That bloody dishwasher! What an absolute racket, although it IS the only thing in the whole lounge that stops people overhearing each others’ conversations.

I can only imagine that it was installed in the bar by the same committee that designed the sinks in the toilets!

I personally love the ambiance of a very loud industrial dishwasher . I’m petty sure that it is louder than the one at this wings place I worked at. It doesn’t help that the bar is curved / open so there’s minimal sound proofing.

Having said that, I’d gladly tolerate it if they addressed the sink faucet situation. It also mitigates the risk of running out of glassware, which plagued the legacy FL.
HFHFFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
I arrived at the Chelsea Lounge (first visit) this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting something akin to the Manchester T1 Escape Lounge after reading the reviews 😉 I found lighting quite relaxing, though why they did not design the lounge with windows is beyond belief given they started with a clean sheet of paper.

There are five other people in the lounge and a very peaceful environment. I had lunch by the fire but moved afterwards to one of the chairs on the wall opposite the wine dispensers which offered a little more privacy. Food was good, had the prawn cocktail and steak frites, though a steak knife was not provided and a regular knife proved challenging. I could hear the barman training other staff so still work in progress. No Krug but life too short… Staff were very helpful and attentive. Will explore the Soho Lounge later! I had not experienced the JFK Concorde Lounge but no major complaints with Chelsea Lounge other than lack of windows.

Old Mar 1, 2023, 2:48 pm

Definitely more staff training required. I was enjoying the Gewürztraminer (my favourite white) and the bottle was empty in the dispenser. I asked one of the staff in the lounge of there was another bottle and a few minutes later a glass arrived that was not Gewürztraminer. I had a walk up to the dispenser, Reisling (same colour label!) 🤷🏻‍♂️...

Last edited by ademanuele; Mar 2, 2023 at 6:44 am
Old Mar 1, 2023, 2:59 pm

Just moved to Soho Lounge, “Let there be light”, yes they have screwed up…
Football Fan and HFHFFlyer like this.

Last edited by ademanuele; Mar 1, 2023 at 3:05 pm
Old Mar 1, 2023, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
3 months on, how have they still not managed to fully install the central fire feature?
ryanbriar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.