Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise à jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:40 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I thought neither CX F nor non-AA/BA OWE gets you into Chelsea.
ijgordon and Football Fan like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
nevermid
Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by percysmith
I thought neither CX F nor non-AA/BA OWE gets you into Chelsea.
makes sense, I only asked because when Cathay flew first out of JFK, we were able to access flagship first dining. But since they don’t fly F out of JFK for now, I wasn’t sure if that rule still existed and carried over to Chelsea, oh well will slum it in soho
Old Mar 27, 2023, 1:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Was in for a late night (00:15) flight to LHR a few days back. Asked for LPGS, told they don't have any ("we keep running out") but offered the LP Rosé which is very pleasant. Proceed to watch the bartender then leafing around the fridges and voila I happen to see him pick up.... a bottle of LPGS! Fantastic news! I point out that's what I was looking for. Now it turns out that they just don't want to open it. Someone who I assume was an AA manager seemed to be in charge and said they get in big trouble if they do. He seemed to think it was rather amusing. On a paid F ticket I didn't think it was quite so amusing.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 8:06 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

clearedforlanding - strange, I was just there yesterday and the first I asked when I was at the bar was what champagne they had and I was informed LPGS - without any questions asked. Later I proceeded to mention that this was the first time I managed to get this at that lounge as the previous couple of visits only resulted in Moet&Chadon or the Ruinart.
The bartender working there - she and another lady which I am sure a lot of you will know her from the T7 CCR - was shocked as they told me that they always have something from the premium selection available. The only one that they are still waiting is the Krug which has not appeared for a month now.
As for dining area service - had this waitress which seems totally disinterested in her job, I felt that she was only trying to suck up to customers to get tips.

Prawn salad - this time less salty burst, but seems to have much more salad than my previous time. Wish they make it a bit more elegant...

The Chocolate dome - good as usual

Tomatoe soup - was also good

Steak frites - without the french fries

Medium raw meat - was super tender and juicy.. if I had another stomach I would have ordered another one.. the amount of crisp outside and how soft succulent it was, just hit all the right spot.

Toffee cheesecake

Roast chicken - was also tender and flavorful. Expect portion was again on the big side.

I was at the lounge around 16h, it was close to dead quiet (but TSA Pre line outside was busy as well the whole security area). Sadly, my first encounter of loud (sorry) Americans this time around - two guys were busy talking with volume up - one I overhead on his way to SFO in Flagship and the other to BCN (I guess he was CK).
Lounge started to get busy around 1700. Was so stuffed that I went straight to bed after take off.

Cheers!
Andriyko likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Lounge got very full about 1800hrs on Sunday with the BA crowd. It was my first visit. I did ask the staff if the soup spoons were available - Not yet is the answer but they have been ordered.
Service was quite reasonable and food good - although the choices are not overly inspiring.
Confusion at the entrance to the "dining Oval" where the podium suggests it is manned so people hang around waiting to be shown to a table, before another guest says "just pick up a menu and sit where you fancy"
Not at all private
Not particularly comfortable
But you know the old Concorde lounge in T7 was specifically for the Concorde back in the day - we have continued to enjoy it because otherwise it would be dead space. Perhaps we shouldn't compare and contrast it to this new facility which is adequate (but nothing more) for a quick visit to maximise sleeping time on the flight itself.

As a slight aside I found the whole T8 experience (arrival and departure) very different - TSA and AA staff are very happy to bark out orders to passengers. Even at check in, I politely stood in line as the available desk agent appeared to be reading documents (so wasnt available) - but when she eventually looked up and spotted me she yelled out NEXT IN LINE. I confess I shouted back NO THANKS, and went to a BA uniformed agent who had just become available. (he clearly enjoyed the exchange!). Just felt a different mood.
Buster CT1K, hsmall, DMPHL and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Mutu; Mar 28, 2023 at 8:38 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 28, 2023, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Mutu
But you know the old Concorde lounge in T7 was specifically for the Concorde back in the day - we have continued to enjoy it because otherwise it would be dead space.
A comfortable semi-private seat for relaxing or dinner and a view with natural light aren't much to ask from a 'flagship' lounge. All of the furniture (at closure in December) and the dining booths in the T7 Concorde Room were added post-Concorde retirement.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 1:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I'm arriving back into JFK in F on BA and then have about 3 hours prior to onward travel on AA on a separate ticket on the same day. Will I be permitted access to 'Chelsea' that way around or are the rules as set out just for outbound travel? Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I didn't find the T7 CCR that private to be honest. Not quite as bad as the LHR CCR where you're always looking directly into at least one booth and at the occupants within.
The communal tables, in the CCR are less private than the tables in the Chelsea lounge. At least you've got your own space there, even if some of the seating is shared.

Then you've got the tables on the CCR terrace where you're looking at other people in that small side area near the doors, may well be reasonably visible from below, and there could well be a bit of traffic past you.

Originally Posted by golfmad
I'm arriving back into JFK in F on BA and then have about 3 hours prior to onward travel on AA on a separate ticket on the same day. Will I be permitted access to 'Chelsea' that way around or are the rules as set out just for outbound travel? Thanks
Try it. Doesn't seem to matter too much what the rules are, just who interprets them on the day
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by xenole
Try it. Doesn't seem to matter too much what the rules are, just who interprets them on the day
Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by clearedforlanding
Was in for a late night (00:15) flight to LHR a few days back. Asked for LPGS, told they don't have any ("we keep running out") but offered the LP Rosé which is very pleasant. Proceed to watch the bartender then leafing around the fridges and voila I happen to see him pick up.... a bottle of LPGS! Fantastic news! I point out that's what I was looking for. Now it turns out that they just don't want to open it. Someone who I assume was an AA manager seemed to be in charge and said they get in big trouble if they do. He seemed to think it was rather amusing. On a paid F ticket I didn't think it was quite so amusing.
So is it possible all this time they have LPGS or Krug or Dom but just dont want to open it. Maybe because if its too early or too late or you get the wrong person. Does it matter also if you are at the bar Vs. a table? Its just crazy how week to week some days you get lucky and some days you drink the Moet crap. Very frustrating.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 7:15 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
So is it possible all this time they have LPGS or Krug or Dom but just dont want to open it. Maybe because if its too early or too late or you get the wrong person. Does it matter also if you are at the bar Vs. a table? Its just crazy how week to week some days you get lucky and some days you drink the Moet crap. Very frustrating.
It was the same in the CCR at T7.

If you asked for LPGS you were served it. If you asked for champagne, they'd bring out something else. It was a bit odd, but I guess if you couldn't tell the difference...

M
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 6:45 pm

I asked this earlier but on the wrong thread. If in Chelsea, can you order items that are on the Soho menu? There are some items on their menu that members of our party would like but don't want to have to split up and go next door to get, especially if it is coming from the same kitchen.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 4:44 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by mileshound
I asked this earlier but on the wrong thread. If in Chelsea, can you order items that are on the Soho menu? There are some items on their menu that members of our party would like but don't want to have to split up and go next door to get, especially if it is coming from the same kitchen.
Yes. It all comes from the same kitchen which is in Soho.

M
Old Mar 31, 2023, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Yes. It all comes from the same kitchen which is in Soho.

M
But when sitting in Chelsea, can you order an item that is on the Soho menu but not on the Chelsea menu?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.