Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: veeRob
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. "Please call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Summary of Reimbursements.

AMEX AA Reimbursement Approved
  • Admirals Club Memberships
  • Admirals Club Passes
  • Admirals Club Food/Drinks
  • Elite Status Buyback
  • External Reservation Fee
  • Five Star Service
  • MCE/Seat Selection
  • Mileage Multipler
  • Monthly Wifi Subscription through AA
  • Same Day Flight Change
  • Upgrades
  • Baggage
AMEX AA Reimbursement NOT Approved
  • Award Cancellation Fee
  • Close-In Ticket Fee
  • Elite Challenges
  • Gift Cards
  • Inexpensive tickets
  • Infant Fees
  • Miles Purchase from AA.com
  • Wifi (per flight)
50/50 on Whether it gets Approved
  • Award Taxes/Fees
  • Change Fee
  • Pet Fee
  • Upfares

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: Elite Status Buyback: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Gift Cards:
  • No
Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Miles Purchase from AA.com: Monthly AA Wifi Subscription Plan: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit. Monthly Wifi subscription plans through AA appear to be eligible for automatic credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

NOT WORKING: Partial payment by gift card or voucher combined with partial payment by Amex doesn't work. Full payment of a ticket under $100 stopped working sometime in 2020.

For 2017-2019, see the previous thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2020, 3:02 pm

For non-elite, seems like AC day passes are the only thing to really buy?

The 500 mile upgrade certs can only be used once you become an elite, is that correct?
Old Dec 26, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Correct, need to be Gold at least.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by merrickdb
Why not buy one 500-mile upgrade certificate with your remaining credit?
Because I'm EXP
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
it's been a while since I read up on this thread (and I have only glanced at this last page of posts) -- something must have changed this past year, as my $120 eGift card wasn't reimbursed ... it was coded as "airfare" and given 5x points ... I have a day to spend that amount now on something meaningful ... I have a flight to book for this weekend , maybe tomorrow Dec 31st, I can get some sort of upgrade fee paid, and hopefully see a $120 credit ? I do have a second bag ($40) fee to pay for .. but the flight will be 2-Jan
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by 4aks
it's been a while since I read up on this thread (and I have only glanced at this last page of posts) -- something must have changed this past year, as my $120 eGift card wasn't reimbursed ... it was coded as "airfare" and given 5x points ... I have a day to spend that amount now on something meaningful ... I have a flight to book for this weekend , maybe tomorrow Dec 31st, I can get some sort of upgrade fee paid, and hopefully see a $120 credit ? I do have a second bag ($40) fee to pay for .. but the flight will be 2-Jan
I had my AA flights booked for next year. My $140 credit was going to expire tomorrow. I logged into AA, went to my trips, selected the flights and did a seat reservation to main cabin extra. The MCE seat charges were $52 and $72 for the roundtrip legs. I bought this on 12/27. Haven't received credits yet, but my amex meter moved today to show the remaining balance for this year. I can confirm that seat selection charges still work.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by sampathkumark
I had my AA flights booked for next year. My $140 credit was going to expire tomorrow. I logged into AA, went to my trips, selected the flights and did a seat reservation to main cabin extra. The MCE seat charges were $52 and $72 for the roundtrip legs. I bought this on 12/27. Haven't received credits yet, but my amex meter moved today to show the remaining balance for this year. I can confirm that seat selection charges still work.
interesting - thats also new to me, I wasnt aware there was a meter to view regarding this benefit
Old Dec 30, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; AZ: Premium; BA: Gold; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
I wanted to buy an AC day pass for someone else. Called the number on the AC website and was told buying for someone else could only be done at an AC or through the recipient's AAdvantage account. Luckily, I live with my recipient and had her log in and I navigated her to the purchase day pass page (re-entering credentials required). I used my Amex card to complete transaction (although never asked for name on card). I charged yesterday and assume it will trigger credit. One year expiration of pass. Just a little heads up if anyone else was planning a similar gift to use up their credits.
4aks likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Purchased 500-mile stickers 2 days ago online, but the confirmation email didn't come until yesterday. Meter has not moved yet on either Plat or Aspire cards. Will update if/when they do. (OT - is there something wrong with the Amex website? I can't log in at all on Chrome and it's slow as molasses on IE.)
Old Dec 31, 2020, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by 4aks
interesting - thats also new to me, I wasnt aware there was a meter to view regarding this benefit
Got credits today. Yes, the meter is available under "Benefits" menu on the top in Amex. If you scroll down it should be on the left, "Airline fee credits". Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by ramcm7
I wanted to buy an AC day pass for someone else. Called the number on the AC website and was told buying for someone else could only be done at an AC or through the recipient's AAdvantage account. Luckily, I live with my recipient and had her log in and I navigated her to the purchase day pass page (re-entering credentials required). I used my Amex card to complete transaction (although never asked for name on card). I charged yesterday and assume it will trigger credit. One year expiration of pass. Just a little heads up if anyone else was planning a similar gift to use up their credits.
I have the $100 credit and did the same. Bought a $59 pass for myself that was fully reimbursed, then on Dec. 30 had my wife log into her AA account so I could buy a second pass using my card. Received the remaining $41 reimbursement on Jan. 2.
ramcm7 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:31 pm

Data point:

31-Dec 2020 purchased $120 in 500-mile upgrades, AMEX reimbursed via credit on Monday 4-Jan, the $120 allocated against 2020 benefit year

2-Jan purchased $40 baggage fee for AA flight at counter, transaction still pending, but 2021 meter shows deduction of $40, leaving me $160 for the year 2021
SPN Lifer and Abidjan like this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 1:32 am

Programs: AA UA CO USair
Does using an AA gift card plus credit card work for the 200 amex platinum?

For example: Use 50 AA gift card and 200 airfare (total 250)

This works on delta, and not sure about AA
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:17 am

No. It’s in the wiki post.
htran88 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:01 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
No data points yet but there's a targeted fee for double miles.

​​​​Double Miles for 1 yr with AAdvantage Tailwind for $59.99
Old Jan 29, 2021, 3:28 pm

Programs: CX D, AF P, AA EP, UA G, Hilton D, Marriott Ti, IHG Plat
For any champagne lovers, Admirals locations are now selling small bottles of Krug ($65 +tax) - assumingly left over stock from the temporary? closure of Flagship First dining. I picked one up at LAX and AMEX credited me 3 days later. Could be a fun option for anyone that will struggle to fully use up their reimbursements in 2021.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.