Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Double Miles for 1 yr with AAdvantage Tailwind for $59.99

Old Jan 22, 21, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

So this is new....double miles for 1 year with a "subscription" from AA for $59.99...
Cash is king...

Says invite only. have to have received the email to register.
one of my kids got it.

Last edited by LovePrunes; Jan 22, 21 at 2:29 pm
Old Jan 22, 21, 2:48 pm

Just got my email as well. 1st thought was to run to FT to see what the general consensus is... good deal? I'm only scheduled to fly 2-3 domestic flights in 2021.
Old Jan 22, 21, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Interesting. With over 100 domestic segments per year, something tells me I'm not in the target demographic for this one. If it shows up in my email, I'll register.
Spanish, irishguy28 and JB OmahAA like this.
Old Jan 22, 21, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by InfrequentFlyer2018 View Post
Just got my email as well. 1st thought was to run to FT to see what the general consensus is... good deal? I'm only scheduled to fly 2-3 domestic flights in 2021.
Whether it is a good deal depends on how much you fly and how you use the miles. If I got the offer I would use it, as I have enough travel to make it worthwhile
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 22, 21, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Glob-Lite, MLife Gold, Caesar's Diamond+, Delta and Southwest basic this year...
Originally Posted by InfrequentFlyer2018 View Post
I plan to fly a little bit more than that, so I say for me, yes! I haven't been targeted though, booooo for loyalty.

In reality, there's math and forums and blogs that say a mile is worth a cent and a half, give or take. So if you plan to earn 4000 miles or more, then I suppose, technically worth it. On a base level it costs 800 dollars to earn 4000 miles... which is 3 round trip flights at low economy prices.
Old Jan 22, 21, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Glob-Lite, MLife Gold, Caesar's Diamond+, Delta and Southwest basic this year...
Could we try to collect data points from those that were targeted?
  • Do you currently have any upcoming trips booked?
  • What is your current AA Elite Status level?
  • How much did you fly in 2020?
Old Jan 22, 21, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
If a mile is worth a penny, you'd need 6K bonus miles from the offer to break even. Assume they double only base miles (not elite bonus), which you earn at 5 miles per dollar of fare. So if you spend $1200+ on domestic airfare, then it's worthwhile.

If you value a mile at 2 cents, then this is a good deal with just $600 of spend.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Jan 22, 21, 5:58 pm

I'd love to see the full terms, what if it included MQM? I know it likely doesn't, but still. Also, for anyone considering doing it, wait until the last possible day before your first flight is due or booked. It says it is valid for one year from purchase.
Old Jan 22, 21, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali View Post
I'd love to see the full terms, what if it included MQM? I know it likely doesn't, but still. Also, for anyone considering doing it, wait until the last possible day before your first flight is due or booked. It says it is valid for one year from purchase.
deleted it already, sorry don't have the full terms. prob someone else can who got it.
It was for my kid, and has 1 trip on hold using my miles, and that's it for the next 6 months. my kid flew 2 domestic round trips last year.
Old Jan 22, 21, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
deleted it already, sorry don't have the full terms. prob someone else can who got it.
It was for my kid, and has 1 trip on hold using my miles, and that's it for the next 6 months. my kid flew 2 domestic round trips last year.
Sounds about right. I would be surprised if anyone with >$2k/yr projected spend is targeted.
Spanish likes this.
Old Jan 23, 21, 5:28 am

I received it. Crazy as it sounds I may well not crack the rough breakeven of ~$1k in spend this year with AA.

I have a single trip booked for March that I’m unlikely to take. No status with AA at present. T+Cs below. Does not apply to EQMs or elite bonuses, as to be expected.

Promotion code: TW21A
  • This exclusive offer is non-transferable and only for members who receive the offer directly from American Airlines
  • Price/offers collected in U.S dollars are non-refundable and subject to cancellation and change
  • Subscription fee includes U.S. federal excise tax (currently 7.5%) and is subject to change
  • All amounts paid by the member under this agreement are exclusive of other sales, use or privilege taxes, or tax-like charges, fees or similar liabilities
  • Register by 11:59 p.m. CT on February 12, 2021, in order for your flights to count for this promotion
  • Offer only applies to eligible flights marketed by American and operated by American or our codeshare partners
  • Flights marketed by other codeshare partners, including joint business partners British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines and Qantas, aren’t eligible for this promotion
  • Offer applies to eligible purchased, published fares on domestic flights from the date you register and purchase your subscription for 1 full year
  • Flights flown before registration for this promotion aren’t eligible for the bonus-mile offer
  • Flights that don’t earn Aadvantage® miles won’t count toward this promotion
  • After completing a flight, your bonus miles will be deposited into your AAdvantage® account and will post separately from base miles earned for eligible flight activity
  • Bonus miles don’t count toward elite-status qualification or AAdvantage® Million Miler℠ status
  • Mileage earned will be calculated at 100% of base award miles earned for eligible flight activity. Double miles won’t apply to the elite mileage bonus – only base award miles
  • Miles are subject to the standard AAdvantage® program terms and conditions
  • American may, at any time and without notice, change, stop or end this promotion in part or in full
Old Jan 23, 21, 5:46 am

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Double miles doesn't mean much to me. I am sure it is based on your EQDs and with cheap fares around, the mileage earn rates are quite low. Had a trip last month to LA which earned about 6500 EQMs. The actual miles earned based on the fare was less than 2,000 miles. In the old days, this trip would have earned me 13,000 miles. I am willing to bet that the T&Cs award miles based on EQDs prior to any elite kicker.
Old Jan 23, 21, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
Is there a web link as well?
Old Jan 23, 21, 7:32 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite, UA Plat
Hmm. ExP with a lot of recent travel and I did not get it.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jan 23, 21, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 View Post
Hmm. ExP with a lot of recent travel and I did not get it.
Same, it would appear from anecdotal evidence from here and other travel related blogs/websites that target demo are those not flying which makes some sense. Those of us who are may be greater cost to the DAArkside than a benefit.

Safe Travels

Search this Thread
Search Engine: