Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2020-21)

Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: veeRob
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. "Please call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Summary of Reimbursements.

AMEX AA Reimbursement Approved
  • Admirals Club Memberships
  • Admirals Club Passes
  • Admirals Club Food/Drinks
  • Elite Status Buyback
  • External Reservation Fee
  • Five Star Service
  • MCE/Seat Selection
  • Mileage Multipler
  • Monthly Wifi Subscription through AA
  • Same Day Flight Change
  • Upgrades
  • Baggage
AMEX AA Reimbursement NOT Approved
  • Award Cancellation Fee
  • Close-In Ticket Fee
  • Elite Challenges
  • Gift Cards
  • Inexpensive tickets
  • Infant Fees
  • Miles Purchase from AA.com
  • Wifi (per flight)
50/50 on Whether it gets Approved
  • Award Taxes/Fees
  • Change Fee
  • Pet Fee
  • Upfares

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: Elite Status Buyback: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Gift Cards:
  • No
Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Miles Purchase from AA.com: Monthly AA Wifi Subscription Plan: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit. Monthly Wifi subscription plans through AA appear to be eligible for automatic credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

NOT WORKING: Partial payment by gift card or voucher combined with partial payment by Amex doesn't work. Full payment of a ticket under $100 stopped working sometime in 2020.

For 2017-2019, see the previous thread
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Will "Buy Back Aadvantage Status" be reimbursed?
laopai likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
I ran into some terrrrrible luck last night. Needed to use my $200. So purchase an award ticket with $40 in tax. 12 hours later it's still pending and hasn't charged my card, now it's 2020. Also tried to purchase a $160 mileage booster or whatever they call it for 5,000 miles. Tried 5 times and it never went through (Authorized) Just AA site gave me an error. Went on the phone and processed one for $130 for 4K, and that never posted nor did I get a receipt. Major F up on AA's IT, and I guess I'm screwed.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:00 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ryan754
.... So purchase an award ticket with $40 in tax. 12 hours later it's still pending and hasn't charged my card....
Airlines typically delay processing of all card transactions for about 24 hours, because this is an easy way to comply with the 24 hour cancellation regulations.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:32 am

I bought a $161.25 Mileage multiplier and $59 day pass. Both reimbursed. I think I will go ahead and buy Admiral's club membership to get $50 applied next year and $250 for that. Question is if I want to open a gold card to split so it costs me less.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Naw that wasn't the case, as the ticket shows issued the next day. Doesn't matter as it was last minute. Leaving this afternoon. I know this will be a big argument, don't want to throw the money away.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 2:46 pm

Upgrades to MCE got processed and credited on 12/31 after purchase on 12/28. Fees for the award tickets that the upgrades were purchased for did not credit after posting at the same time as the upgrades.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Well, Happy New Year everyone and don't forget to log in and change your airline if the post-GC world on AA isn't for you anymore.

I'm switching over to WN for 2020. I fly enough <$100 segments on them, plus buy some onboard wifi and drinks, it should be a quick $250 without any unusual hoops to jump through.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:11 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Reports seem to be inconsistent about the $40 500-mile upgrades being reimbursed. I just purchased one through the AA app and will report back.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ymx
Reports seem to be inconsistent about the $40 500-mile upgrades being reimbursed. I just purchased one through the AA app and will report back.
I had 6 of them post within the past 2-3 weeks. Purchased in pairs of two, although I have no idea if that part is necessary.

Last edited by pinniped; Jan 6, 2020 at 9:56 am
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:20 pm

I had no issue with 500-mile upgrades being reimbursed, in mid-December 2019
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:15 pm

Will any flight tax or fee amount on AA.com work to get the airline credit on my Aspire card?

Looking to book international partner award on AA.com and tax and fees for 3 of us comes to around $300.

Thank you
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Great, glad to know the 500 mile certs work. I have status and my wife doesn't and we are low on 500 mile upgrades and when I clear and she doesn't have any it messes with our reservation. So my $250 hilton amex will go wards award certs.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sherab Sherab
Will any flight tax or fee amount on AA.com work to get the airline credit on my Aspire card?

Looking to book international partner award on AA.com and tax and fees for 3 of us comes to around $300.

Thank you
Please read the Wikipost above. It has links to posts where award fees did get the credit, but also links to posts where they didn't get the credit. So it's not a sure thing, and you need to study those datapoints to see if you spot any pattern.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Originally Posted by JetAway
Will "Buy Back Aadvantage Status" be reimbursed?
I would love to know this also.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:10 am

Wife is AA Gold. Purchased AC membership via phone on 1/2, reimbursed today (1/6). Split payment over two Aspire cards. Took like 5 mins total, phone rep. knew exactly what we were trying to accomplish.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.