Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: veeRob
Reminder: you must enroll and select AA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. "Please call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Summary of Reimbursements.

AMEX AA Reimbursement Approved
  • Admirals Club Memberships
  • Admirals Club Passes
  • Admirals Club Food/Drinks
  • Elite Status Buyback
  • External Reservation Fee
  • Five Star Service
  • MCE/Seat Selection
  • Mileage Multipler
  • Monthly Wifi Subscription through AA
  • Same Day Flight Change
  • Upgrades
  • Baggage
AMEX AA Reimbursement NOT Approved
  • Award Cancellation Fee
  • Close-In Ticket Fee
  • Elite Challenges
  • Gift Cards
  • Inexpensive tickets
  • Infant Fees
  • Miles Purchase from AA.com
  • Wifi (per flight)
50/50 on Whether it gets Approved
  • Award Taxes/Fees
  • Change Fee
  • Pet Fee
  • Upfares

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: Elite Status Buyback: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Gift Cards:
  • No
Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Miles Purchase from AA.com: Monthly AA Wifi Subscription Plan: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit. Monthly Wifi subscription plans through AA appear to be eligible for automatic credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

NOT WORKING: Partial payment by gift card or voucher combined with partial payment by Amex doesn't work. Full payment of a ticket under $100 stopped working sometime in 2020.

For 2017-2019, see the previous thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Any ideas for how to spend remaining AA credit if no travel is anticipated by end of year? I'm sitting on about $130 left of my $200 for my platinum card. Was looking into buying some AC day passes for future use, but seems like those would require me to be there, ready to enter the AC, right? Just wondering if there's any good way to not have this $$ go to waste.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:19 pm

I was reimbursed for a $48 one-way flight ticket—wonder if cheap tickets working again, and with no change fees currently the value can be held on to for a bit. Posted the 19th, reimbursed this morning.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Data Point:
I purchased tickets in January for a trip to St Lucia in December for Xmas - trip was paid via AMEX Platinum and I paid for seat selection utilizing my airline credits...total was $250 but got reimbursed the $200
Earlier this month, I called and cancelled my flight due to COVID and got a flight credit for initial purpose, but was told I had get refunded the seat selection...I was refunded the full $250 on Sunday to my AMEX but no clawback
Old Oct 29, 2020, 7:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by theranj
Data Point:
I purchased tickets in January for a trip to St Lucia in December for Xmas - trip was paid via AMEX Platinum and I paid for seat selection utilizing my airline credits...total was $250 but got reimbursed the $200
Earlier this month, I called and cancelled my flight due to COVID and got a flight credit for initial purpose, but was told I had get refunded the seat selection...I was refunded the full $250 on Sunday to my AMEX but no clawback
I don't know if you will or won't experience a clawback, but if you just got the refund on Sunday, that is a very short amount of time. I would not, in anyway, consider yourself out of the woods yet...

Regards
Old Nov 11, 2020, 1:32 am

A mileage multiplier transaction of $37.50 completed last week was credited from my annual airline credit for the Gold Card.
Another mileage multiplier transaction of $60.89 completed three days later was also credited from my annual airline credit for the Gold Card.

Last edited by Esquivalience; Nov 13, 2020 at 9:05 pm
Old Nov 13, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
New to the Amex Plat as of today.
To use the AA $200 fee credits for 2020 without any travel in 2020 is this a plausible way forward:
A) Book today flights on AA for a date in 2021 and add mileage multiplier and pay for seats to total $200+
B) Refund/cancel the flights (and thus extra fees) in early 2021 prior to travel date

Would that be successful? Any nuance/adjustment suggested to that?
Old Nov 14, 2020, 12:07 pm

1. $30 baggage fee credited automatically a few days later.

2. Made a date change for the return leg of my flight. $21 fare difference paid with the Amex, credited automatically one day later. Pleasantly surprised with that one.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
Every time I upgrade my daughters seats it posts separately and reimbursement kicks in. They code them differently. FYI - Seat up grades are not refundable by policy so if you cancel the flight you will get credit for the ticket but you must appeal for seat credit and they will only give you credit if you upgrade on replacement flight.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 7:27 pm

Bought three 500 miles upgrades. $120 on my personal plat. Took three days. Reimbursed.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by Vernon Hardapple
Bought three 500 miles upgrades. $120 on my personal plat. Took three days. Reimbursed.
Same transaction of 3 stickers. Two days on reimbursement.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:31 pm

I wonder if anyone else has a similar experience. It is not uncommon to get an upgrade promo prompt when you check in? Anyone has success on getting the cost reimbursed?

Originally Posted by zbelair
Apologies if I'm not doing this right as it is my first post and want to contribute my data point:

Purchased round-trip AA Economy (G) PHL - MCI with flights 7/5 and 7/9 with Amex Personal Plat.
For both upgraded to to first/business (can't find specific class but it was full first/business and not MCE) the day before (7/4 & 7/9) after checking-in for flight at a cost of $85.67 each time.
On 7/12 one of the two was reimbursed ($85.67) while the other was not. Don't see a way to tell which was/wasn't reimbursed but it worked for me 1 out of 2 times.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Vernon Hardapple
To get the full $200 credit, wouldn't you want to buy 5 500 miles upgrade?
Old Nov 18, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP IHG Diamond Marriott Gold Hilton Diamond
I got the new AA monthly wifi plan reimbursed since it is now processed through "AAwifi." That was a nice surprise.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by theranj
Data Point:
Originally Posted by scubadu
I don't know if you will or won't experience a clawback, but if you just got the refund on Sunday, that is a very short amount of time. I would not, in anyway, consider yourself out of the woods yet...

Regards
For what it's worth - I have not been clawed back to-date - if it happens in the future I don't know but most likely I would've expected it to happen by now
Old Nov 19, 2020, 6:14 pm

Hi - newbie here. Have any amex platinum cardholders had recent success claiming the $200 incidental credit? If so, could you explain your process? TYIA

Last edited by chuddcabbage; Nov 19, 2020 at 6:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.