Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000


International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN


Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)


Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Oct 12, 2022, 5:42 pm
  #856  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by earthyfool
Thanks, will it give it a try again with AS.
Fortunately it's not a RT ticket and I have no other JAL flight booked that conflicts, so I guess in the worst case, I will simply not show up for the HND-KMQ flight.
Were you able to find an agent who managed to drop the married segment? I called AS several times, and wasn't successful. Agents worked with their supervisor trying to drop the second segment, but JAL didn't allow them to do it.
I asked them to break the itinerary into two separate flights, but they claim there is nothing they can do b/c of JAL's restrictions.
danukraine is offline  
Old Oct 12, 2022, 9:40 pm
  #857  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 6,183
Managed to snag a HND-ORD F award. Yeehaw!!!!
Smiley90, ssk244 and najama2 like this.
Sandeep1 is online now  
Old Oct 13, 2022, 8:56 am
  #858  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: UA, AS
Posts: 2,418
Originally Posted by danukraine
I'm flying from NRT to BKK in J. Then I'm returning from SIN to GMP (Seoul) via HND in mix of Biz/Econ. All three flights are on JAL metal.
I called Alaska and asked to create stopover itinerary: NRT-BKK-stopover-SIN-GMP.
Agent said that the stopover for JAL can only be in Japan.
Is it correct?
Originally Posted by danukraine
Were you able to find an agent who managed to drop the married segment? I called AS several times, and wasn't successful. Agents worked with their supervisor trying to drop the second segment, but JAL didn't allow them to do it.
I asked them to break the itinerary into two separate flights, but they claim there is nothing they can do b/c of JAL's restrictions.
Just to be clear, are you attempting to drop the HND-GMP segment from the SIN-GMP award?
skimthetrees is offline  
Old Oct 14, 2022, 10:00 am
  #859  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Just to be clear, are you attempting to drop the HND-GMP segment from the SIN-GMP award?
That is correct - trying to dispose of HND-GMP leg from SIN-HND-GMP itinerary.
Agents are telling me that even supervisor can't split this married combination into two single legs.
danukraine is offline  
Old Oct 14, 2022, 10:11 am
  #860  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: UA, AS
Posts: 2,418
Originally Posted by danukraine
That is correct - trying to dispose of HND-GMP leg from SIN-HND-GMP itinerary.
Agents are telling me that even supervisor can't split this married combination into two single legs.
This is surprising to me. Something may have changed. I would continue trying. Without knowing how married segments work internally my sense was that it was a sales restriction and once it was ticketed segments could be dropped. Maybe JAL noticed AS doing this and told them not to so they implemented a policy? Not really sure. Can you travel without checked luggage? Just end your journey in HND?
skimthetrees is offline  
Old Oct 14, 2022, 10:25 am
  #861  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by danukraine
Were you able to find an agent who managed to drop the married segment? I called AS several times, and wasn't successful. Agents worked with their supervisor trying to drop the second segment, but JAL didn't allow them to do it.
I asked them to break the itinerary into two separate flights, but they claim there is nothing they can do b/c of JAL's restrictions.
No luck. Tried couple of times but gave up since wasn't making any headway. Guess my only option is not to show up for the connecting flight to KMQ.
earthyfool is offline  
Old Oct 14, 2022, 3:29 pm
  #862  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by earthyfool
No luck. Tried couple of times but gave up since wasn't making any headway. Guess my only option is not to show up for the connecting flight to KMQ.
This is exactly what AS agent told me to do - once I arrive in Haneda from Singapore, tell JAL employee that I won't be travelling to GMP
remyjette likes this.
danukraine is offline  
Old Oct 14, 2022, 6:00 pm
  #863  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 554
Originally Posted by estnet
If you booked a JL award using AS miles your AS # is automatically in the reservation
This wasn't the case for me. But I was able to choose the seat I wanted at booking. I got to the airport yesterday and noticed that my boarding pass didn't say 'Emerald' so I asked them to add my AS MP# to the reservation.

Agent prob thought it was weird since it was an award ticket and I'm not earning miles - but I wanted to go to the BA Lounge instead of Sakura since Sakura lounge at SFO isn't great....joke's on me thought b/c the BA lounge wasn't even open at that time. In any case doesn't seem like AS MPs are auto added on JAL award bookings, although might be different for other folks.
ssk244 is online now  
Old Oct 14, 2022, 7:14 pm
  #864  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: bay area, ca
Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Posts: 4,856
Originally Posted by ssk244
This wasn't the case for me. But I was able to choose the seat I wanted at booking. I got to the airport yesterday and noticed that my boarding pass didn't say 'Emerald' so I asked them to add my AS MP# to the reservation.

Agent prob thought it was weird since it was an award ticket and I'm not earning miles - but I wanted to go to the BA Lounge instead of Sakura since Sakura lounge at SFO isn't great....joke's on me thought b/c the BA lounge wasn't even open at that time. In any case doesn't seem like AS MPs are auto added on JAL award bookings, although might be different for other folks.
sorry about that -didn't mean to give wrong info -
I didn't know BA might be an option (b/c I'm flying F) - but I guess it's closed when I'll be there too - I agree Sakura isn't great - used to use Cathay Lounge, sigh, but not now (it's still closed).
estnet is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2022, 6:03 pm
  #865  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Andover, MA, 01810
Posts: 1,974
That is so cool how the F class awards become available at 8p Eastern 14 days in advance. Many thanks to whoever first discovered it. I expected the business class to become available at the same time, but this only works for first class. Is there a different schedule for the business class?
ssk244 likes this.
UserMark is offline  
Old Oct 16, 2022, 6:29 pm
  #866  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
Posts: 225
FYI I did find F award booking 2 months from now.
I am currently booked on all segments in J but just found award flight with 1st segment in coach and 2nd longest segment in First class. Should I switch to the mixed coach/first or stay with all business class on JAL? Any advice would be appreciated.
Kamiakdad is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2022, 4:01 am
  #867  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 6,183
Question: If I booked a HND-ORD in F on JAL, can I call and add a SIN-NRT J segment (Singapore Airlines) to the ticket?
Sandeep1 is online now  
Old Oct 17, 2022, 6:37 am
  #868  
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Programs: AP AS BA
Posts: 374
Originally Posted by Kamiakdad
FYI I did find F award booking 2 months from now.
I am currently booked on all segments in J but just found award flight with 1st segment in coach and 2nd longest segment in First class. Should I switch to the mixed coach/first or stay with all business class on JAL? Any advice would be appreciated.
What Are the miles flown in each segment? East bound or west bound in F?
fbrdky is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2022, 6:50 am
  #869  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,263
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Question: If I booked a HND-ORD in F on JAL, can I call and add a SIN-NRT J segment (Singapore Airlines) to the ticket?
No, you can't mix partners on awards. Currently, awards are one partner with or without AS segments.

James
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2022, 11:02 pm
  #870  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
Posts: 225
Originally Posted by fbrdky
What Are the miles flown in each segment? East bound or west bound in F?
Westbound segment 1 - 2600 miles, segment 2 - 5700 miles
Kamiakdad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.