Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Oct 9, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kamiakdad
I was able to book J award on JL Bkk-NRT-KIX-LAX. Called AS to see if I can get SEA added, but was told no can do. Is this correct?
It is correct if there isn't any Saver Main (T) or Saver First (E) award space availability on the LAX-SEA flight(s) you are trying to connect to.

Availability of LAX-SEA award space independent of the JL flights doesn't necessarily mean that it is Saver award space, AS awards are dynamic. If it isn't at the Saver level, it canot be combined.

If you arenít using a stopover in Japan, you can at LAX and book LAX-SEA for a future date. If you have a Japan stopover, you will be limited to any LAX-(connection possible)-SEA flight(s) that departs within 24 hours of you scheduled LAX arrival.

James
seryoga likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by najama2
I have bkk-hnd-ord booked in J and trying to change hnd-ord to F (award space shows as available) but both agents told me they're not able to even though they see the space on the website. Is this true or just need to HUCA more?
There may some sort of cutoff time but so long as it is more than 24 hours out it should be possible. HUCA. Call the partner line during business hours for possibly better results and if they say it is not possible request them to please check with a supervisor mentioning you have done this in the past (even if you haven't, others have, so be respectful but bold!).
najama2 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
There may some sort of cutoff time but so long as it is more than 24 hours out it should be possible. HUCA. Call the partner line during business hours for possibly better results and if they say it is not possible request them to please check with a supervisor mentioning you have done this in the past (even if you haven't, others have, so be respectful but bold!).
Thank you! Is there a specific number for partner line?
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It is correct if there isn't any Saver Main (T) or Saver First (E) award space availability on the LAX-SEA flight(s) you are trying to connect to.

Availability of LAX-SEA award space independent of the JL flights doesn't necessarily mean that it is Saver award space, AS awards are dynamic. If it isn't at the Saver level, it canot be combined.

If you arenít using a stopover in Japan, you can at LAX and book LAX-SEA for a future date. If you have a Japan stopover, you will be limited to any LAX-(connection possible)-SEA flight(s) that departs within 24 hours of you scheduled LAX arrival.

James
There is a different code for the domestic award than just gettiing a regulare AS award. I've seen saver awards available but it isn't the code that is necessary to combine with the international award - AFAIK there is no way to search online for that special code so you have to call and have them check (? might be E but not sure)
Old Oct 9, 2022, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by najama2
Thank you! Is there a specific number for partner line?
They say there is/was. I thought it was posted in this thread but I could not find it here. I did find it in the Cathay Pacific thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33474112-post1883.html
kalderlake and najama2 like this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
There is a different code for the domestic award than just gettiing a regulare AS award.
That is not correct! There must be Saver Main T class availability or Saver First E class availability on a domestic/international AS flight to combine with a partner award.

It is the same classes that book into Saver on AS only domestic/international flights.

I've seen saver awards available but it isn't the code that is necessary to combine with the international award
If it isn't combinable with a partner award, it isn't Saver award space; it is dynamic. Prior to the fare bucket realignment in March, 2021, all Main Awards booked into either T - Saver, Z - full fare, fully refundable and eligible or N - Dynamic, miles required, somewhere in between. K was the lowest fare class a GGU could be applied to with U Availability. First was Saver A.

Since the realignment, T - Saver was maintained, Full fare, fully refundable & eligible Main awards now books into Y, just like revenue. Dynamically priced awards no longer have a "catch all" booking class; they now book into the same fare class as their revenue cousins. A dynamic award might book into S for instance. That is, of course, not combinable with a partner award but can be booked independently. Fare class N replaced K. Saver First became E.

- AFAIK there is no way to search online for that special code so you have to call and have them check (? might be E but not sure)
Keep in mind that AS award minimum & maximum redemption ranges vary by distance across 4 bands. LAX-SEA is 954 miles which is "Skip" award. You can't look for 12.5K redemptions and know they are Saver. It may be the case on LAX-BOS, but 12.5K on LAX-SEA is is most likely not.

Unfortunately, AS doesn't display the booking class when booking awards. You can use a subscription service like ExpertFlyer to look at bucket availability.

Alternatively, you can search for AS awards on AA. However, I would use caution. Prior, if you found AA awards on AS at 12.5K, it was AS Saver award availability. However, AS & AA did announce that they would be collaborating on dynamic awards. That may have stalled but I have seen a few instances of dynamic pricing on AA. Those were not using AS Saver inventory.

Arriving in LAX on a JL J award will require that the domestic flight(s) have inventory in either T or E to combine, whether that is LAX-SEA, LAX-SFO-SEA, LAX-PDX-SEA, LAX-BOI-SEA or LAX-GEG-SEA or....

James
Old Oct 10, 2022, 12:40 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I don't know what you are saying but I am merely reporting what I was told - I had a bkk-tyo-lax-sfo ticket and found lax-sfo saver ticket and asked to change my existing flight to the one I wanted at a different time and was told that even though I could see saver that was not the correct one when combing with the international flights and was a different code that could only be seen by them - I was told this multiple times by multiple agents - YMMV

That is not correct! There must be Saver Main T class availability or Saver First E class availability on a domestic/international AS flight to combine with a partner award.

It is the same classes that book into Saver on AS only domestic/international flights.

If it isn't combinable with a partner award, it isn't Saver award space; it is dynamic. Prior to the fare bucket realignment in March, 2021, all Main Awards booked into either T - Saver, Z - full fare, fully refundable and eligible or N - Dynamic, miles required, somewhere in between. K was the lowest fare class a GGU could be applied to with U Availability. First was Saver A.

Since the realignment, T - Saver was maintained, Full fare, fully refundable & eligible Main awards now books into Y, just like revenue. Dynamically priced awards no longer have a "catch all" booking class; they now book into the same fare class as their revenue cousins. A dynamic award might book into S for instance. That is, of course, not combinable with a partner award but can be booked independently. Fare class N replaced K. Saver First became E.

Keep in mind that AS award minimum & maximum redemption ranges vary by distance across 4 bands. LAX-SEA is 954 miles which is "Skip" award. You can't look for 12.5K redemptions and know they are Saver. It may be the case on LAX-BOS, but 12.5K on LAX-SEA is is most likely not.

Unfortunately, AS doesn't display the booking class when booking awards. You can use a subscription service like ExpertFlyer to look at bucket availability.

Alternatively, you can search for AS awards on AA. However, I would use caution. Prior, if you found AA awards on AS at 12.5K, it was AS Saver award availability. However, AS & AA did announce that they would be collaborating on dynamic awards. That may have stalled but I have seen a few instances of dynamic pricing on AA. Those were not using AS Saver inventory.

Arriving in LAX on a JL J award will require that the domestic flight(s) have inventory in either T or E to combine, whether that is LAX-SEA, LAX-SFO-SEA, LAX-PDX-SEA, LAX-BOI-SEA or LAX-GEG-SEA or....

James
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Alerts for JL F awards?

With the re-opening of Japan, I note that the "last-minute" inventory of F awards has dried up. I'm wondering whether there are any services out there that can be used to provide alerts if/when an F award for a common route (i.e. JFK - HND) opens up. I am planning a trip for the middle of next month (i.e. November 15) and was hoping to upgrade from U to A if an A award seat becomes available. [My usual "alert" system using ExpertFlyer doesn't work as "A" is both a revenue bucket and an award bucket.] TIA for advice!
Old Oct 10, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
With the re-opening of Japan, I note that the "last-minute" inventory of F awards has dried up. I'm wondering whether there are any services out there that can be used to provide alerts if/when an F award for a common route (i.e. JFK - HND) opens up. I am planning a trip for the middle of next month (i.e. November 15) and was hoping to upgrade from U to A if an A award seat becomes available. [My usual "alert" system using ExpertFlyer doesn't work as "A" is both a revenue bucket and an award bucket.] TIA for advice!
I had good luck with moving up to F checking exactly 14 days out (or 13 days out Japan time) at 5pm Pacific (9am Japan time). Was able to snag first both ways for my upcoming trip to Japan later this month. Set a reminder and good luck!
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AS 100K

James
Thanks, that's super helpful!

I have a BKK - HND - JFK award in J/F, and I'm trying to add a leg from JFK to SEA. Fingers crossed, ExpertFlyer catches something.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by seryoga
Thanks, that's super helpful!

I have a BKK - HND - JFK award in J/F, and I'm trying to add a leg from JFK to SEA. Fingers crossed, ExpertFlyer catches something.
I have backtracked to the West Coast on JL as well as CX and flew East from LAX to get to NZ via AU on QF. Yes, AS flew me LAX-JFK to fly back to LAX on QF (same day) and continue on to SYD and AKL. I had a JFK-PDX-PHX after a stopover in JFK coming off a JL award.

Don't limit your search to JFK-SEA though. Also look at connections like JFK-PDX-SEA or JFK-SFO-SEA. If you are OK with the JFK to EWR shuffle, the open jaw should work too.

James
seryoga likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:06 am

T-14 ?

I see many mentions of looking for availability at T-14. Would that be exactly 14 days from the flight departure time?
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by UserMark
I see many mentions of looking for availability at T-14. Would that be exactly 14 days from the flight departure time?
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remembered correctly, it's 9am Japan time. You can try a few days before your actual schedule to see if the time is correct.
williwaw and Arsene Wenger like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UserMark
Originally Posted by ssk244
I had good luck with moving up to F checking exactly 14 days out (or 13 days out Japan time) at 5pm Pacific (9am Japan time). Was able to snag first both ways for my upcoming trip to Japan later this month. Set a reminder and good luck!
Scroll up a few messages - I just posted this
ezak likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 12:15 pm

Oh right. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.