Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:36 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by danger
Interesting. Thank you. So JL availability can come and go and come again on AS?
availability is always dynamic.

maybe someone cancelled his/her awards.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
I have no problem to find F on JFK-HND and J on NRT-KUL with multi-city.

keep in mind that there is no F on JL after March 31st on AS. F on JL still available to other partners after March 31st.

If you don't mind, please provide the date.
Mind elaborating on the March 31st part? Is that in reference to 301 days out or is there some news that I missed?
Old Jun 8, 2020, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Big Meech
Mind elaborating on the March 31st part? Is that in reference to 301 days out or is there some news that I missed?
I don't know who made up the 301 days rule.

First class availability for March 31st was first available around May 8th, the 330 days out.

There was never first class availability for April 1st ever since.

If I want, I can book JL first class on March 31st now.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 3:36 am

I don't know who made up the 301 days rule.

First class availability for March 31st was first available around May 8th, the 330 days out.

There was never first class availability for April 1st ever since.

If I want, I can book JL first class on March 31st now.
Interesting. Any idea if this is a bug or permanent feature? It looks like these rewards are still bookable past March 31st with other partners (AA, Cathay, Qantas). It would be very disappointing and a big devaluation if AS does not offer it going forward.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 4:07 am

Interesting. Any idea if this is a bug or permanent feature? It looks like these rewards are still bookable past March 31st with other partners (AA, Cathay, Qantas). It would be very disappointing and a big devaluation if AS does not offer it going forward.

one thing it reveals is that AS members probably redeem the most JL first class awards outside JMB as first class JL awards is available every day after March 31st.

maybe AS limits its member maybe JL limits AS.

maybe AS joins oneworld on April 1st.

Last edited by freed0m; Jun 8, 2020 at 4:21 am
Old Jun 8, 2020, 4:23 am

one thing it reveals is that AS members probably redeem the most JL first class awards outside JMB as first class JL awards is available every day after March 31st.

maybe AS limits its member maybe JL limits AS.
I wouldn't put too much weight in that. From the sounds of it, you're using AA to search award availability. Unfortunately, AA's award calendar for the last month of the calendar is rubbish. They'll show seats that even JMB doesn't show. For a more accurate view, try Qantas award calendar.

While it's certainly possible that AS members redeem the second most miles and JL is trying to limit that, I'd be hesitant to draw conclusions based on award calendars.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 4:33 am

I wouldn't put too much weight in that. From the sounds of it, you're using AA to search award availability. Unfortunately, AA's award calendar for the last month of the calendar is rubbish. They'll show seats that even JMB doesn't show. For a more accurate view, try Qantas award calendar.

While it's certainly possible that AS members redeem the second most miles and JL is trying to limit that, I'd be hesitant to draw conclusions based on award calendars.
Yes, I was using AA calendar view. It matched the best JL F availability in March.

I did not verify AA calendar after March 31st. But before that, I verified every day in March right after it was available 330 days calendar open. AA award is available earlier than AS and it matched AS exactly.

and I have not found one day it showed in AA calendar, but not available in AS before March 31st.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 4:44 am

Yes, I was using AA calendar view. It matched the best JL F availability in March.

I did not verify AA calendar after March 31st. But before that, I verified every day in March right after it was available 330 days calendar open. AA award is available earlier than AS and it matched AS exactly.

and I have not found one day it showed in AA calendar, but not available in AS before March 31st.
Yes, before March 31st, their calendar is fine. It's after that where you'll see a significant amount of phantom space with AA.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 4:53 am

Yes, before March 31st, their calendar is fine. It's after that where you'll see a significant amount of phantom space with AA.
you did not understand what I mean.

AA matched AS March availability in April and May when March availability was first available.

maybe you gave example of AA phantom availability. I dont like QF calendar, you cant search one carrier only. Maybe I searched in wrong way.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 7:16 am

you did not understand what I mean.

AA matched AS March availability in April and May when March availability was first available.

maybe you gave example of AA phantom availability. I dont like QF calendar, you cant search one carrier only. Maybe I searched in wrong way.
Sure, how about these dates in April. AA shows every day having two award first class award seats non-stop between ORD-HND. JL doesn't even show that for their own passengers. Maybe it was correct at the time, but it's clearly wrong now. Anyway, I'm not here to argue about award space or AA's award calendar. I just want to get to the bottom of what's going on with Mileage Plan and why their JL F award space differs from everyone else.

AA showing availability for two seats nearly every day

QF showing availability for two seats only on a few select dates

JL also only showing availability for two seats on select dates
Old Jun 8, 2020, 8:08 am

Sure, how about these dates in April. AA shows every day having two award first class award seats non-stop between ORD-HND. JL doesn't even show that for their own passengers. Maybe it was correct at the time, but it's clearly wrong now. Anyway, I'm not here to argue about award space or AA's award calendar. I just want to get to the bottom of what's going on with Mileage Plan and why their JL F award space differs from everyone else.

AA showing availability for two seats nearly every day

QF showing availability for two seats only on a few select dates

JL also only showing availability for two seats on select dates
Thanks.

I was blinded by AA's matched results for March during April and May.

Now it is more interesting. Maybe JL has not released first class to partners for April at all.

have you found any first class availability in April in QF?
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:11 am

Thanks.

I was blinded by AA's matched results for March during April and May.

Now it is more interesting. Maybe JL has not released first class to partners for April at all.

have you found any first class availability in April in QF?
Indeed - see my previous post. QF is showing first class space on the same route several dates in April.

Last edited by Big Meech; Jun 8, 2020 at 9:23 am Reason: clarity
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:45 am

Indeed - see my previous post. QF is showing first class space on the same route several dates in April.
I cross-checked QF with CX based on limited samples on ORD-HND. They have the same first class availability.

On the other hand, BA, AS and AA have no first class availability after March 31st. AA first class availability on JL has booking code A(from April 1st) instead of Z(before March 31st). A is revenue first class. I do wonder whether booking on AA will earn points.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA, AS
On the other hand, BA, AS and AA have no first class availability after March 31st. AA first class availability on JL has booking code A(from April 1st) instead of Z(before March 31st). A is revenue first class. I do wonder whether booking on AA will earn points.
No, it won't. Because you cannot book a JAL F award as A class on AA. Someone tried and and it errored out and would not go through. Not surprising since it's the wrong class code for an F award
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SFO-BKK itinerary on JL for July 3 was cancelled with no notice. Looks like JL has cancelled both flights (SFO-NRT and NRT-BKK). No sign of a miles refund. Knew this trip was likely not happening with Thailand moving very slowly to reopen, but still not especially well handled by JL or AS - how hard is it to send a cancel email and refund my miles?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.