Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2022, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
My experience on this was pre pandemic and only related to 777-300. Maybe things have changed. Were you traveling on a 777-300? Did you assign it yourself or was it auto-assigned?
In F, so 77W. Assigned it myself during olci as the whole cabin showed as open.

Originally Posted by eethan
I am seeing 1 J seat HND-LAX but it only appears as part of KIX-HND-LAX routing with an overnight in HND. BA.com doesn't show availability for that HND-LAX seat.

Is this a fluke, or can you actually book that seat?

I have searched Tokyo-LAX and KIX-LAX and there is no J availability in all of Dec. I assume this means there is no Japan-LAX availability even if I originate elsewhere in Asia.

Might more availability appear?
If you want the seat, book the seat and see if it goes through. I suspect it will if you book the KIX-LAX that shows online. Not bookable as HND-LAX alone.

I found a date as you describe. My guess is that KIX-LAX is bookable. The date I checked shows availability on AA and AS. I suspect this is a married segment itinerary, only bookable together. BA online search does not show well married segments itineraries that span calendar days although it may be bookable on BA by calling in.
Have been playing around with this for the last few days to try and make a date change on an existing booking on a SE Asia-TYO-KIX routing.

Definitely married segments, not just for KIX but a large number of Japanese cities, but it is not bookable (at least with AS).

On the booking change search engine, any option selected leads to “We're sorry, we aren't able to confirm space on these partner flights. Please try again and choose different flights, dates or cities.” Picking flights that match with ones showing on AA also doesn’t work.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Speedbird84
In F, so 77W. Assigned it myself during olci as the whole cabin showed as open.

Have been playing around with this for the last few days to try and make a date change on an existing booking on a SE Asia-TYO-KIX routing.

Definitely married segments, not just for KIX but a large number of Japanese cities, but it is not bookable (at least with AS).

On the booking change search engine, any option selected leads to “We're sorry, we aren't able to confirm space on these partner flights. Please try again and choose different flights, dates or cities.” Picking flights that match with ones showing on AA also doesn’t work.
What is your goal? If you have a married segment routing and want to change the dates of both segments to another married segment routing that shows availability just book the new routing and cancel the old. If you want to change a domestic Japan married segment leg to create a stopover (breaking the married segments) this may no longer work. If you want to change a domestic Japan married segment leg to a different city in Japan while keeping the connection < 24 hours and it does not work online you may be able to call and get an agent to make the change if you find married segment availability on the leg you want to switch to. Reports recently indicate either JL or AS is cracking down on enforcing married segments.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
DP: booked JL J HND-BKK want to change to FUK-HND-BKK, online change fail at last step, call-in change fail, book new ticket FUK-BKK successful
Old Nov 14, 2022, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by pl840502
DP: booked JL J HND-BKK want to change to FUK-HND-BKK, online change fail at last step, call-in change fail, book new ticket FUK-BKK successful
Do you mind sharing why it failed? Did they cancel your original booking and rebook free of charge? I currently have HND-ORD booked but might need to change to HKG-HND-ORD, so wondering what the process would be.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: alaska, united, marriott, hilton
I had the same issue. Had DFW-TYO stop TYO-Jakarta. Then a Cathay Return. Tried to change online to ORD-TYO stop TYO-Jakarta then SIN-TYO stop ORD. Got to the end and failed. Called they couldn't change it either.

Then i just rebooked that itinerary from scratch and it worked. Called back in and had them cancel original. Also got the partner fee refunded so i didn't have to pay that twice. Appears to be an IT issue.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 10:26 am

Hope this is the right thread - wanted to ask if anyone knew of when JAL Business award space is released to Alaska Airlines?

For context, I'm looking at a ORD - HND - SIN route, which is ~65K Alaska miles for the JAL business ticket. I see availability up until October 1, 2023, but am looking to book for say October 8/9/10, 2023, all of which I only see the economy class option. In fact, October 2, 2023 onward, I only see the economy class redemption option for this route. Is this because award availability is already all booked up or that it hasn't been released yet post October 1, 2023?
Old Nov 15, 2022, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by hardworking21
Hope this is the right thread - wanted to ask if anyone knew of when JAL Business award space is released to Alaska Airlines?

For context, I'm looking at a ORD - HND - SIN route, which is ~65K Alaska miles for the JAL business ticket. I see availability up until October 1, 2023, but am looking to book for say October 8/9/10, 2023, all of which I only see the economy class option. In fact, October 2, 2023 onward, I only see the economy class redemption option for this route. Is this because award availability is already all booked up or that it hasn't been released yet post October 1, 2023?
From my own recent experience checking JL award space on Alaska, as well as from studying this thread, I can tell you that Alaska has a problem/bug with end-of-schedule bookings on JL. Business class award space may in fact be available—and you can check American's website to confirm this—but Alaska's calendar may not show it. I gather there have been various workarounds to this problem, like booking any available business ticket for the cities you want and then using the "change flight" tool to select the date you really want, but I'm still sorting out which of these methods are reliable and still working.
hardworking21 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

This is the right thread. I highly recommend looking through the majority of this thread to get your strategy down for when those flights become available. There're a few valuable items here that will teach you how to go about this, and improve your chances getting that highly coveted J seat. In particular, look for the entry on booking the reverse trip first (i.e., SIN-ORD, ORD-SIN), to get access to the flights at the end of the availability window. It's one of those quirky AS IT things that never gets fixed. Then when the desired return dates open up, change the original SIN-ORD leg to the new dates - moving the flight to after the ORD-SIN flights. Good luck.
hardworking21 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
In particular, look for the entry on booking the reverse trip first
Curious about this workaround. Is it just for RTs, or can it be applied to a OW trip in a way I'm not quite understanding?
Old Nov 15, 2022, 11:40 am

As of this moment AS can book JAL flights through October 12, 2023 but this requires workarounds for AS end of schedule booking limitations. If you want a flight in the last week of the calendar you should definitely book it ASAP using one of the workarounds because AA now also has access to that inventory and it can disappear very quickly once inside the 330 day window.

For your trip, I recommend the calendar workaround. Staring at the AS homepage click on "All search options", select one-way, use miles, Award Calendar, your origin (ORD), your destination (SIN), date a day or two from the end of the selectable dates (like 10/10 or 10/11 today when end of calendar is 10/12), and search. When you get the calendar up choose the date you want and if there is availability it should show now (whereas it does not show when doing a standard date search). Everytime you want to change a parameter on the search you must navigate back to the AS home page and click through to the "All search options" and do a calendar search from there. If you do not do this you will be in bug limbo and the results will not show JAL business class availability for the last 6-7 days of the booking window.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by incaroads
Curious about this workaround. Is it just for RTs, or can it be applied to a OW trip in a way I'm not quite understanding?
You can usually use the calendar search workaround to book a one-way trip. See my post above.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 12:25 pm

Booked an LAX-KIX-BKK award on March for Dec 2022 flights that was changed to LAX-NRT-BKK due to schedule changes on JAL.
Went to check on booking and on AS site it now it says that I've been moved to "Coach(I)" Class for the flights. However JAL is still showing business class and IIRC I class on JAL is business class as well and business class seats intact.
Very strange, anyone have this happen before? Should I be worried or maybe this is good and I will get miles instead since I is a revenue class?
Old Nov 15, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: n/a
Sorry if this question had already been answered but can i book mix cabins ( website or call customer service) ?
Like I want to book J seat from BKK to Tokyo then F seat from Tokyo to JFK? is it allow?

Thanks
Old Nov 15, 2022, 3:58 pm

You can usually use the calendar search workaround to book a one-way trip. See my post above.
Thanks—I've been experimenting with this method and I do see how it opens up dates that otherwise show no JL flights or no flights at all. It seems a bit hit or miss, though; for example, I can see space on ORD–HND for 10/12/23 on AA, but not on AS even when trying the workaround. Could be temporary, I'll keep checking. The workaround does seem to currently do the trick for other routes, like JFK–HND.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 8:23 pm

This was incredibly helpful @skimthetrees, as it showed me there is business class award space in the date range I'm eyeing! Will look to book in the coming 24 hours before tickets get snapped up. Thank you so much!

Edit: Apologies, forgot to click "quote reply" and now I cannot delete this post ... but it's in reference to Comment #955. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.