Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
Phantom F Availability?

Trying to upgrade a SFO-HND-BKK to First, noticed availability if I fly out of SJC and take SJC-PDX-ORD-HND (First class) and leave my BKK leg the same. When trying to book an unable to book partner award error

Anyone else see this happening? Any chance I can just keep trying and hope it goes through? EF shows all seats open in First, I'm thinking JAL has it blocked off but error in AS system shows it as open

Last edited by akelkar; Dec 9, 2022 at 3:06 am
Old Dec 7, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
If I were you I'd edit your post to take out your full name and AS MP #
Old Dec 7, 2022, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by tmobiley
AS has now made JAL award bookings dynamic as of yesterday based on Alaska award charts as published.
Yep the "Staring at ... " language is new. Of course done without any notice (other than cryptic email last month) as is now standard Alaska way of treating customers. Doesn't look like the actual booking prices have changed yet but that can't be far away.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 7, 2022, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by olouie
Doesn't look like the actual booking prices have changed yet but that can't be far away.
QR and EI have had that language on awards forever. You can still find inventory at the lower price.

Old Dec 7, 2022, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
QR and EI have had that language on awards forever. You can still find inventory at the lower price.

You will also find that most business awards are now way more than the "starting price" of 60k.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 7, 2022, 4:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
This is a nothing burger, as always. “Dynamic” is more like saver vs anytime award.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
This is a nothing burger, as always. “Dynamic” is more like saver vs anytime award.
Let's wait a bit before calling it a "nothing burger."
olouie likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You will also find that most business awards are now way more than the "starting price" of 60k.
So you realize that's because you're getting expanded availability on awards on EI above saver and EI is controlling the availability of saver, right? This isn't a case where AS has it for 280k and BA has it for whatever it is that BA makes an EI flight available at as a partner award.

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Bingo.

The part you want to watch out for is once AS makes partner award prices dependent on distance traveled just like current awards on AS metal are. Which they promised to do.

We’ll have a simplified award chart to show you where award levels start based on which regions you’re traveling from and to. With this change, similar to awards on Alaska, partner award levels may vary depending on multiple factors including route, distance, or demand.
That will be when they start jacking saver prices up. Presumably ORD-HND-BKK or ORD-HND-DEL will cost more than ORD-HND. I'd expect anything like USA-HKG/DOH-JNB will be ugly.

They're basically going to turn the partner award chart into something like Avios or Asia Miles, with bands.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 7, 2022 at 4:31 pm
Old Dec 7, 2022, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So you realize that's because you're getting expanded availability on awards on EI above saver and EI is controlling the availability of saver, right? This isn't a case where AS has it for 280k and BA has it for whatever it is that BA makes an EI flight available at as a partner award..
Yes I do get it, but saying that other airline award chats have had it for years and you can still find cheap redemptions is what I was responding to. If you point to that you also have to point to the other side of things. This saver vs. anytime is controlled by partners, but the playbook here is that economy redemptions can have good pricing but business usually goes to majority are expensive anytime tickets (QR has done the same).

In addition AS often can't get partner awards for the very same oneworld airlines that AA/BA can. This is happening more and more where I can find an SFO/LAX-TYO award on AA for 60k but AS doesnt even show it and agents cannot book. Sometimes looking at the calendar helps and sometimes it doesn't (e.g. can see it on calendar but AS agents cannot book then I just go to AA and book without issues). So may anytime awards will help but Im not going to pay 100K AS miles if AA can book for 60k.

In any case, its all a race to the bottom. Earn and burn baby.

Last edited by olouie; Dec 7, 2022 at 6:11 pm
Old Dec 7, 2022, 8:24 pm

Hi -

Earn and burn indeed. When things started opening up earlier this year, I went through 500K AS miles. Now with a clean slate, I can re-examine my upcoming travel patterns and allocate purchase decisions without any golden handcuffs.
olouie likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by earthyfool
No luck. Tried couple of times but gave up since wasn't making any headway. Guess my only option is not to show up for the connecting flight to KMQ.
Just as a data point, managed to drop a segment today for JL award from SIN-HND-ITM. No availability on SIN-HND, but married segment logic meant plentiful for SIN-HND-XXX (many domestic and ROK destinations).

On the phone about 10 minutes but they managed to do it - seems YMMV on who you get but the two agents I dealt with were extremely helpful. I called this number - 1-800-252-7522 around 2pm GMT (i.e. outside East Asia business hours).
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Is Alaska or Japan Airlines limiting Availability? Don't see a single biz award ex LAX to HND when BA and AA shows up for November 2, 2023 multiple seats. There's even a First Class seat avail. Ive tried the trick above but it still wont show.

Maybe Im doing something wrong. Does anyone see Nov 2 availability LAX-HND via website? I hope its just me.
olouie likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by KL808
Is Alaska or Japan Airlines limiting Availability? Don't see a single biz award ex LAX to HND when BA and AA shows up for November 2, 2023 multiple seats. There's even a First Class seat avail. Ive tried the trick above but it still wont show.

Maybe Im doing something wrong. Does anyone see Nov 2 availability LAX-HND via website? I hope its just me.
The reverse round-trip workaround (see previous posts in this thread) is the only way I've succeeded in getting around the end-of-schedule problem on AS's website. If you search for a round trip with HND–LAX as the outbound (pick a random date) and LAX–HND on 11/2/23 as the return, you will then be able to see the the award space for LAX–HND that you're looking for. The play here is to book the RT, get it ticketed, and then call AS to cancel the outbound portion of the trip and redeposit your miles, leaving you with only the "return." This workaround does work well in my experience, but you have to have enough AS miles in your account to book the RT.

Or, you could simply wait several days until the LAX–HND flight on 11/2/23 is no longer in the buggy end-of-schedule window. The risk of waiting, of course, is that the seats could get taken in the meantime by members of other programs.
KL808, eponymous_coward and atojbk like this.

Last edited by incaroads; Dec 8, 2022 at 8:41 am
Old Dec 8, 2022, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by KL808

Maybe Im doing something wrong. Does anyone see Nov 2 availability LAX-HND via website? I hope itjust me.
Sadly this seems to be Alaska issue. It may be a “bug” but when agents can only see the same thing that you see online it’s a bigger problem. I used to have luck asking them to reach out to the jal liaison but more and more agents won’t even try. The reverse booking then cancelling one leg is genius.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 12:22 pm

The reverse booking then cancelling one leg is genius.
Cool trick indeed, but pretty unfortunate (at least for those not in the know) that it's necessary. I had to book several tickets this way for next fall and needed a significant cushion of AS miles in order to do so. In each case, I spoke with an agent who thought they could handle the change themselves, were unable to, and put me on hold for several minutes while they either transferred me to someone at the int'l partner desk or spoke with someone there who took care of it. Overall very easy and the miles were redeposited immediately.

Last edited by incaroads; Dec 8, 2022 at 3:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.