Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by hondaman82
Did AS block J+F seat on purpose? I see SGN - NRT in J , stop over in Tokyo, then HND - LAX in F available, but then I try to book then no award seat available in one itiniary , but they have SGN-NRT in J and HND-LAX in J award show up... odd
You can book the F seat first then call AS to add the J segment.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by nealaws
Update: I called Alaska CS. They told me that the AS FF# was attached to the JL award booking and they also saw all the window seats are blocked and couldn't do anything.
I had similar issue happened to me. I booked 1 First & 3 Business tickets from JFK to NRT. I gave the F ticket to my partner and the 3 J tickets to my parents and myself. She couldn't select a window seat in first class cabin, but after I added her AS MVP FF# to the JAL reservation, she was able to select a window seat, but only on the 2nd row, not the first row. With the 3 business class tickets, we were only able to select middle seats. However, after adding my AS 100K FF# to the JAL reservation, I was able to select a window seat, but only for myself, not the other two person on the reservation (they have no elite status). We also have no access to the first row seats of the cabin.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by KuBear
I had similar issue happened to me. I booked 1 First & 3 Business tickets from JFK to NRT. I gave the F ticket to my partner and the 3 J tickets to my parents and myself. She couldn't select a window seat in first class cabin, but after I added her AS MVP FF# to the JAL reservation, she was able to select a window seat, but only on the 2nd row, not the first row. With the 3 business class tickets, we were only able to select middle seats. However, after adding my AS 100K FF# to the JAL reservation, I was able to select a window seat, but only for myself, not the other two person on the reservation (they have no elite status). We also have no access to the first row seats of the cabin.
JAL blocks a lot of J window seat (row 1 & 2 ) even for AS 100k (until ~72 hrs before departure.) However, the weird thing I've seen is that MVP has better access to seat selection than 100k. I recently book a trip on Jal, when I put in my AS 100k, I still dont have access to the J cabin behind F class, but.. when I put my partner MVP # in, we now can access those seats !!
Old Dec 29, 2022, 4:20 pm

Could you tell me how you add the AS 100K FF# to the JAL reservation? The JAL website only allows me to add JL FF# but not the AS one. And I couldn't find the JL booking on other OW partner's website. Thanks.

Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:03 pm

Could you tell me how you add the AS 100K FF# to the JAL reservation? The JAL website only allows me to add JL FF# but not the AS one. And I couldn't find the JL booking on other OW partner's website. Thanks.

Not sure how your reservation is, but for me I just go to the japan airline website and input my booking information. Then when I'm in the main page of my reservation, I clicked on "RELATED SERVICES" and the passenger details loads up. Under membership program, I'm able to select all JAL partner programs. My reservation also have 3 passengers total with me being the first one on the list. Only my passenger details have the option to change the membership program. Here is what mine looks like.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:23 pm

Not sure how your reservation is, but for me I just go to the japan airline website and input my booking information. Then when I'm in the main page of my reservation, I clicked on "RELATED SERVICES" and the passenger details loads up. Under membership program, I'm able to select all JAL partner programs. My reservation also have 3 passengers total with me being the first one on the list. Only my passenger details have the option to change the membership program. Here is what mine looks like.
Yeah. I did exactly the same you said but I can only see JL on JAL's website.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:17 am

Saw a F seat on JAL on BA so I called in to try to have my old JAL J booking reissued, while waiting on the phone I tried booking it on Alaska and it errored out but the lady came back with a JAL confirmation number but said the reissuing failed - said she'll send to supervisor and they'll email me in a few days. She reassured me the JAL part went through.

Question: has this happened to anyone before? Was this a case of phantom space, or that while I was on the phone someone else snagged the F seat? Or maybe I actually did get the seat?

Tried entering the JAL confirmation number (6 digits) they gave me on the JAL site but nothing came up...
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:12 pm

OK this is strange, when searching LAX-HND for F, AS show no award seat, but if I include near by airport they have this route available in F...need to Fly SNA-SFO, then SFO- back to LAX ...then F seat from LAX - HND ... hmm what? LOL
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:36 pm

OK this is strange, when searching LAX-HND for F, AS show no award seat, but if I include near by airport
Shhhh...
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:38 pm

OK this is strange, when searching LAX-HND for F, AS show no award seat, but if I include near by airport they have this route available in F...need to Fly SNA-SFO, then SFO- back to LAX ...then F seat from LAX - HND ... hmm what? LOL
Bookable? I see stuff like that and it’s almost always phantom space.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
This is a mixed cabin award. Which segments are in F? Likely not the JL flight. There are only two price colums, there would be three if it was a partner F segment and the taxes look wrong. Take off the $12.50 booking fee. I don't think $17.50 covers all the fees & taxes.

I have seen this before where the award is showing in the wrong column. Usually the AS flight is in F and the partner in Y.

I think it is a byproduct of the fare class realignment. First Class (F) doesn't exist on AS anymore yet they still call it First Class for the seats up front everywhere in their network and online. The highest fare class on AS is business; J. Partners see those as business class too. My thoughts are that AS is erroneously combining domestic F with a partner when it should be combining Business with the partner.

AA also calls their domestic 2‐cabin seats up front First too. Not to be confused with F on 3/4 cabin Flagship routes where F & J are different cabins on 77W & A321T aircraft. AA call the same 2-cabin seats up front business on short international routes. An AA aircraft flying PHX-DFW-PVR will sell F (First) on the domestic PHX-DFW segment and sell J (Business) on the DFW-PVR segment. Same aircraft, same seats.

QF, domestically, does not fly aircraft with an F cabin so all flights within Australia are Main or Business. For continuity, it would be nice if AS & AA followed suit.

James
Old Dec 30, 2022, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
This is a mixed cabin award. Which segments are in F? Likely not the JL flight. There are only two price colums, there would be three if it was a partner F segment and the taxes look wrong. Take off the $12.50 booking fee. I don't think $17.50 covers all the fees & taxes.
JL show F, but I am quite sure it is phantom seat as mention above, make a big detour from SNA - SFO - LAX seem like a big hassle
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 1:01 am

Yeah. I did exactly the same you said but I can only see JL on JAL's website.
So I changed my upcoming flight for JAL and now I'm seeing the same issue you are lolz.... but I am 90% sure my AS FF# is already in because my JAL reservation # is the same one and also I'm able to select certain seats that other passengers in my group couldn't.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 2:54 am

I've tried to book one of those. It was a phantom space.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: AC35K, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I've tried to book one of those. It was a phantom space.
Can confirm as well, this is phantom space. When you key in the direct route on AS or on BA, the award space does not show up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.