Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2022, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by incaroads
Any idea why no J seats are available on a random Monday in November 2023 from HND to SGN? Literally every day in October is available, and November is shaping up to look the same way—except for the day I need to travel! I haven't followed the pattern of this route for long enough to know whether dates randomly become unavailable and then available again.
You do know the AS calendar only extends out 330 days, right? If you are checking today a random Monday in Nov. 2023 you 3 chances out of 4 to pick a day that AS is not booking for yet, and the one day their calendar does extend to, Nov. 6, 2023, has availability HND-SGN (in economy). Tomorrow Nov. 13 should come in to view on the AS calendar (probably using the calendar trick).

The weekend before Monday Nov. 6th is a holiday weekend in Japan so that may play in to why someone has grabbed J on that day (IOW, Nov. 6th is not a random Monday).

Last edited by skimthetrees; Dec 16, 2022 at 8:08 pm
Old Dec 16, 2022, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You do know the AS calendar only extends out 330 days, right? If you are checking today a random Monday in Nov. 2023 you 3 chances out of 4 to pick a day that AS is not booking for yet, and the one day their calendar does extend to, Nov. 6, 2023, has availability HND-SGN (in economy). Tomorrow Nov. 13 should come in to view on the AS calendar (probably using the calendar trick).

The weekend before Monday Nov. 6th is a holiday weekend in Japan so that may play in to why someone has grabbed J on that day (IOW, Nov. 6th is not a random Monday).
Yeah, thanks, I’ve been monitoring the calendar and today was the day I was expecting to be able to add a HND-SGN leg to my existing ORD-HND booking. Didn’t know 11/6 was a holiday but that is indeed the day I’m looking at. This morning there were 7+ J seats available but when I called AS at noon ET (waited until international partner desk was open), they were gone. Maybe it’s just another EOS glitch that will resolve itself. Unfortunately my date isn’t flexible.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by incaroads
Yeah, thanks, I’ve been monitoring the calendar and today was the day I was expecting to be able to add a HND-SGN leg to my existing ORD-HND booking. Didn’t know 11/6 was a holiday but that is indeed the day I’m looking at. This morning there were 7+ J seats available but when I called AS at noon ET (waited until international partner desk was open), they were gone. Maybe it’s just another EOS glitch that will resolve itself. Unfortunately my date isn’t flexible.
Friday 11/3 is the holiday. It does not sound like Japanese are booking it though if as you say 7+ J seats were available this morning that means most likely those seats were grabbed by AS customers because those seats have been available to other programs for a while, including AA, but today was the day 11/6 came out of end of schedule bug window lockdown for AS. The more likely scenario is that AS customers wanted to avoid the Japan holiday weekend and waited until Monday to travel? Who knows?

There is economy available HND-SGN right now on 11/6. You might as well grab that and hope to upgrade later.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Was able to book 6 J seats to Manila with stop over in Tokyo. First agent was kind enough to let me speak to a partner desk agent when she couldn't find availability! Partner desk agent booked it with no issue. YMMV

Im just amazed how there where 6 seats on the days I wanted! Never seen that before. I thought 4 was a unicorn!
ssk244 and williwaw like this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by KL808
Was able to book 6 J seats to Manila with stop over in Tokyo. First agent was kind enough to let me speak to a partner desk agent when she couldn't find availability! Partner desk agent booked it with no issue. YMMV

Im just amazed how there where 6 seats on the days I wanted! Never seen that before. I thought 4 was a unicorn!
JAL changed their release pattern about a month ago and now there are many more seats released. Maybe Japan opening up had something to do with their decision?
KL808 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:28 pm

Let’s say theoretically one were to have 2 F award tickets booked for JFK -> NRT/HND for this Friday. With the upcoming winter storm affecting the northeast, what are the scenarios that can happen?

1. flight takes off as planned
2. flight delayed
3. flight canceled - what happens to the F tickets in this scenario?
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:16 am

JAL changed their release pattern about a month ago and now there are many more seats released. Maybe Japan opening up had something to do with their decision?
What's the pattern now? Do JAL release F in 14 days?
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:33 am

Not what I'm seeing at all. I was finding quite a bit of ORD-HND about a month ago, and now it's basically non-existent during the time period I was previously looking at.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by ecgz88
What's the pattern now? Do JAL release F in 14 days?
I did not look at that range. My study was mostly on the SFO-TYO routes and I was looking near the end of schedule and found that the J award space released was increased. A couple of months ago they started out with 2J at their (JAL) schedule open, then a couple of weeks in they increased the HND space to up to 5J if none had been booked yet. Now they still start at 2J but increase to up to 8J SFO-HND except Fridays and Sundays where is still 2J.

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Not what I'm seeing at all. I was finding quite a bit of ORD-HND about a month ago, and now it's basically non-existent during the time period I was previously looking at.
As mentioned above I was looking at the release pattern near the end of schedule. I was not ambitious enough to search the whole year since only end of schedule was relevant to me. I just did a quick check and on ORD-HND I am seeing, starting 11/28, 8J, 8J, 6J, 8J, which is line with my findings on the SFO route. what month are you looking at? Space does get taken rather quickly when it comes in to the AS booking calendar range. If you find space at end of AS schedule today and look again in a month, most likely that space will be gone but space in the newly opened end of schedule should probably be there.
ecgz88 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 1:28 am

I did not look at that range. My study was mostly on the SFO-TYO routes and I was looking near the end of schedule and found that the J award space released was increased. A couple of months ago they started out with 2J at their (JAL) schedule open, then a couple of weeks in they increased the HND space to up to 5J if none had been booked yet. Now they still start at 2J but increase to up to 8J SFO-HND except Fridays and Sundays where is still 2J.

As mentioned above I was looking at the release pattern near the end of schedule. I was not ambitious enough to search the whole year since only end of schedule was relevant to me. I just did a quick check and on ORD-HND I am seeing, starting 11/28, 8J, 8J, 6J, 8J, which is line with my findings on the SFO route. what month are you looking at? Space does get taken rather quickly when it comes in to the AS booking calendar range. If you find space at end of AS schedule today and look again in a month, most likely that space will be gone but space in the newly opened end of schedule should probably be there.
May/June. Very sparse at the moment. I agree availability does get snatched fairly quickly but I just remember seeing quite a bit of J availability about a month ago. I have my flights booked so it’s all good but I’m OCD about switching dates so I always take a look occasionally.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 4:56 am

Lots of phantom availability too - got excited when I saw all the flights I wanted on AS but errored out and didnt show on AA or BA. Sad panda.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by olouie
Lots of phantom availability too - got excited when I saw all the flights I wanted on AS but errored out and didnt show on AA or BA. Sad panda.
This was a relatively new bug that was reported here a week or so ago. I get the feeling that it is happening when AS flights are combined with JAL flights. I suspect it does not occur when only JAL flights are returned, most especially if it is a non-stop JL flight, so if you are seeing a connecting itinerary mixing AS and JAL try searching for only the JAL flights to check real availability.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 12:23 pm

Did AS block J+F seat on purpose? I see SGN - NRT in J , stop over in Tokyo, then HND - LAX in F available, but then I try to book then no award seat available in one itiniary , but they have SGN-NRT in J and HND-LAX in J award show up... odd
Old Dec 24, 2022, 11:03 am

Do you guys think JAL would release more F seats T-14 to Alaska for Jan 2023?

I currently have a J seat and would love to try F. Was excited when I saw F available on Alaska like 3 weeks ago for my dates but couldn't book (phantom I guess), and since then been looking on BA and seeing nothing for Jan yet (not T-14 yet). Is BA the right place to look to avoid phantom availability?
Old Dec 28, 2022, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by hondaman82
Did AS block J+F seat on purpose? I see SGN - NRT in J , stop over in Tokyo, then HND - LAX in F available, but then I try to book then no award seat available in one itiniary , but they have SGN-NRT in J and HND-LAX in J award show up... odd
Yeah seeing that too unfortunately. Would you be able to give them the flights by calling in, and have them attach the J+F flights together manually?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.