Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2022, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Phantom space? Deval

Introduction of anytime awards (without changing saver awards)? Deval

Adding new partners without changing old partners rates? Believe or not, deval
I understood that reference!
Old Dec 11, 2022, 9:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
Originally Posted by estnet
Yes, if the 6 seats are revenue then that doesn't mean available for award. It would be strange to see 6 award seats open (especially now with almost no award seats being released )
Sad but true, I did not get upgraded and those 6 seats flew empty. But on bright side on my way to 1st class in 2 hours.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Kamiakdad
Sad but true, I did not get upgraded and those 6 seats flew empty. But on bright side on my way to 1st class in 2 hours.
So you'll just appreciate first class all the more Enjoy - it's wonderful!
Old Dec 12, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
Originally Posted by estnet
So you'll just appreciate first class all the more Enjoy - it's wonderful!
I'm mid flight. You're right I have greater appreciation for the size and quality of service as a result. Also, Salon ran out after first glass but all the other adult drinks have been excellent. Must admit JAL service is outstanding. Three flight attendants for 8 passengers. Amazing!
estnet likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Kamiakdad
Never mind. The answer is 4. Just did it. But more pressing is my JAL flight has 6 business class seats open but agent refuses to upgrade my ticket which is on 1st class award ticket for the only non 1st class leg. States that it is AS responsibility. AS says it's JAL who can do so. Any advice? I have 2.5 hours until departure. Thanks for any info.
The key here is the word "ticket". You want to change your ticket. AS owns your ticket and before the check-in window opens they are the only ones who can change it. Your "First Class" ticket by your own admission has a non First Class leg. This is the way your ticket was issued. The non First legs will be ticketed in Business (or Economy) and that is what JAL sees when you check-in. Could JAL put you in First Class for the non-First leg? Only day of departure when they have control of the ticket but they are not going to do this because the ticket for that leg is issued in a lower class of service and that is all AS is going to pay them for and they have no interest in giving away an upgrade to someone who did not pay for it.

TLDR: Even though the miles cost for you to book the ticket may be the same for a different class of service the reimbursement rate that JAL receives from AS is dependent on what class of service is on the issued ticket for each leg.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Is NRT and HND considered CO-Terminals? i.e. You can Fly into one and fly out of another as a single award.

Example

JFK-HND(x) // NRT-SIN = 65K (J award)
Old Dec 12, 2022, 9:23 am

Been following the posts from the last few months. Thank you all for the tips and tricks.

My ultimate goal is to book 2 F tickets HND-ORD or JFK for mid Nov 2023. I have 151k AS miles so the reverse booking trip doesn't really work for me and finding 2 F tickets is difficult. Also, I tried the "all search options" trick from the main menu, but in the last week it's not been working. What's the best course of action now?

Side question: is it possible to add another segment later on? like a BKK-HND leg for 5k?
Old Dec 12, 2022, 9:24 am

Quick datapoint: found two J seats on JAL from JFK > HND this morning via AA's search, which weren't appearing on AS. I called AS to see if they could book them over the phone and they said they didn't see any inventory. I hung up and then a few minutes later received a call from the same CSR, telling me that she did a little poking around and was able to find the seats I found on AA. She took my billing info and booked the seats for me. Just wanted to offer this up as an FYI for anyone who encounters a similar problem!
Old Dec 12, 2022, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by KL808
Is NRT and HND considered CO-Terminals? i.e. You can Fly into one and fly out of another as a single award.

Example

JFK-HND(x) // NRT-SIN = 65K (J award)
Yes. I don't believe AS shows these airport land transfers anymore when searching for a simple transit since the pandemic but you can definitely book this with a stopover using multi-city search.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by ellipses10
Been following the posts from the last few months. Thank you all for the tips and tricks.

My ultimate goal is to book 2 F tickets HND-ORD or JFK for mid Nov 2023. I have 151k AS miles so the reverse booking trip doesn't really work for me and finding 2 F tickets is difficult. Also, I tried the "all search options" trick from the main menu, but in the last week it's not been working. What's the best course of action now?

Side question: is it possible to add another segment later on? like a BKK-HND leg for 5k?
You will not find 2F tickets from the US at least until very close in, like 14 days out. JL only releases 1F at a time now until closer in. You can either book 1F and 1J now and hope to switch later if you find 1F availability, or you could book 2J now and hope to find 2F later.

Side question: Yes you can as of today. Who knows what will happen in the future?
kalderlake likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by nealaws
My AS FF# was not attached to the my JL award booking automatically. All the window seats are currently blocked for me as OWE.
And the JAL website only allows me to add JL FF#.
Update: I called Alaska CS. They told me that the AS FF# was attached to the JL award booking and they also saw all the window seats are blocked and couldn't do anything.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You will not find 2F tickets from the US at least until very close in, like 14 days out. JL only releases 1F at a time now until closer in. You can either book 1F and 1J now and hope to switch later if you find 1F availability, or you could book 2J now and hope to find 2F later.

Side question: Yes you can as of today. Who knows what will happen in the future?
Yup, I just realized that. I was wondering how JL actually released these F seats to partner. Say they have 8 seats in total. I'm sure they will save at least half for their own FF programme. How are they distributing the remainder to their many partners? BTW, thank you for your tips earlier last month. Was able to secure my dream itinerary. On a side note, the agent at the partner desk told me that they are unable to see JL711 availability in business on Nov 3, but i'm able to see it online and even till the last step, it allowed me to book. Was looking to change my HND flight to NRT since it depart later in the day.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by dect002
Yup, I just realized that. I was wondering how JL actually released these F seats to partner. Say they have 8 seats in total. I'm sure they will save at least half for their own FF programme. How are they distributing the remainder to their many partners? BTW, thank you for your tips earlier last month. Was able to secure my dream itinerary. On a side note, the agent at the partner desk told me that they are unable to see JL711 availability in business on Nov 3, but i'm able to see it online and even till the last step, it allowed me to book. Was looking to change my HND flight to NRT since it depart later in the day.
I do not think JAL differentiates between partners. They release 1F at a time. This seat is made available to all partners and also JAL members. Once it is taken it disappears everywhere. JAL members have an advantage that partners do not because they can waitlist F award seats and presumably their waitlist will clear before any additional seats are released to partners.
kalderlake and DiamondMile like this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by dect002
There's no split among partners. All partners generally have access to the same "partner inventory".

(Exceptions apply, e.g. AS has access to extra inventory for SQ and QR)
Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:38 pm

Any idea why no J seats are available on a random Monday in November 2023 from HND to SGN? Literally every day in October is available, and November is shaping up to look the same way—except for the day I need to travel! I haven't followed the pattern of this route for long enough to know whether dates randomly become unavailable and then available again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.