Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Nov 3, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by babypuwet
hi guys, I am looking at the TSA-HND route previously mentioned. It is only available in business class (both online and phone agent), but on AA and Qantas it shows economy available. I want to use AS miles to get the free stopover. Is there a work around to this?
It looks like Alaska IT is broken on this route. No Economy showing. I doubt there is any way to currently book TSA-HND in economy using Alaska miles. You would have to have them put in a request to their IT department to fix it. Good Luck!
Old Nov 3, 2022, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
It looks like Alaska IT is broken on this route. No Economy showing. I doubt there is any way to currently book TSA-HND in economy using Alaska miles. You would have to have them put in a request to their IT department to fix it. Good Luck!
Thanks! How do I put in the request to IT? Via phone agent?
Old Nov 3, 2022, 2:23 pm

Thanks! How do I put in the request to IT? Via phone agent?
You could start with a phone agent but I would also explore other avenues. Start out with a summary so they understand the basic issue then follow up with details that show you have proof that they do indeed have the problem you are reporting. Make sure to tell them you went through the calendar search for the entire year and Alaska is not showing a single day with economy awards on this route and all the other partner airlines you have checked have many days where economy awards are available through all programs but Alaska so there is clearly something wrong. Challenge them to find 1 day, just one day, with economy availability on JAL. Guess what? There isn't one day an economy award is available through mileage plan on this route. Give them examples of multiple days where the awards are available on partners.

Also submit an online complaint. It used to be somebody actually looked at these although it may be a monkey. I have had at least one success reporting an IT problem this way in the past, although I have more failures than successes. If it's important to you then it is worth a shot.

https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback/general-comments

Let's see how much Alaska cares to fix this. According to their latest TV add campaign, "We Care A Lot!". Yeah, right.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Nov 3, 2022 at 2:31 pm
Old Nov 4, 2022, 7:12 am

Thank you! Can the change be adding on another leg? For instance, I've only booked ORD to HND, no stopover. If I want turn it into a multi-city instead of simple one-way, is that possible to do via change function? (online or call)
Old Nov 4, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by desafino
does anyone have historical experience with F opening up during the christmas blackout window?
Is there really a "christmas blackout" window for JAL? Ive always been able to book JAL within the christmas.new year holiday periods.

On another matter, I'm likely cancelling C award booking HND-LAX for January 8. When I release my reservation, does it become available for everyone to booking the award space immediately or do they just disappear? Am likely cancelling this weekend.

Jiburi
Old Nov 5, 2022, 7:34 pm

Japan to HKG?

Is there any award flight by Japan Airline from Tokyo or other cities in Japan to HKG? I have been searching but nothing comes out… is there a secret way to look? Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2022, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You could start with a phone agent but I would also explore other avenues. Start out with a summary so they understand the basic issue then follow up with details that show you have proof that they do indeed have the problem you are reporting. Make sure to tell them you went through the calendar search for the entire year and Alaska is not showing a single day with economy awards on this route and all the other partner airlines you have checked have many days where economy awards are available through all programs but Alaska so there is clearly something wrong. Challenge them to find 1 day, just one day, with economy availability on JAL. Guess what? There isn't one day an economy award is available through mileage plan on this route. Give them examples of multiple days where the awards are available on partners.

Also submit an online complaint. It used to be somebody actually looked at these although it may be a monkey. I have had at least one success reporting an IT problem this way in the past, although I have more failures than successes. If it's important to you then it is worth a shot.

https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback/general-comments

Let's see how much Alaska cares to fix this. According to their latest TV add campaign, "We Care A Lot!". Yeah, right.

Just an update, I did submit a complaint form but haven't heard anything back yet. However, one thing I noticed is that the same economy awards that aren't available on AS isn't available via qantas either. It seems that it is only available via AA. I need to call BA to check since TSA airport doesn't populate on their website.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 7:40 am

I've been considering strategies for a booking next year and would appreciate any input. We are 2 passengers looking to travel from JFK or BOS to HND/NRT in business, late October 2023. I've been monitoring award space so I'll be ready to go when the schedule opens. The tricky part is that my wife will be returning to the US after 2 weeks in Japan, and I'll be continuing on to SGN on a specific date in early November (meeting a friend at HND and making the trip together). Naturally I'd like to book my ticket as a free stopover in Tokyo if possible, but I'd be nervous about leaving my outbound unbooked while waiting for the HND–SGN flight to open up. I recall reading that I can book any available stopover and change the date later, but I'm not sure how reliable that would be if I'm trying to keep the two of us together for JFK–TYO. Ultimately I wouldn't be too disappointed if I had to book HND–SGN separately, but of course want to grab the free stopover if possible. I know that end-of-schedule booking can be buggy with Alaska, which complicates things. Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by incaroads; Nov 8, 2022 at 8:13 pm
Old Nov 6, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Unable to Select Seats on F Award ORD HND

2 travelers but only one seat avail for selection in F

No pre assigned seats

booked 2 F class awards using AS miles yesterday online, for me and my son. However when trying to select seats on JAL website, there’s only one seat available to select. When I called JL the representative said I would be unable to select a seat until check-in. Is that correct for AS award seats? I’ve flown JL F a few times in past on using AA miles and was easily able to select seats. Am I missing something?
Old Nov 6, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by diggnan

2 travelers but only one seat avail for selection in F

No pre assigned seats

booked 2 F class awards using AS miles yesterday online, for me and my son. However when trying to select seats on JAL website, there’s only one seat available to select. When I called JL the representative said I would be unable to select a seat until check-in. Is that correct for AS award seats? I’ve flown JL F a few times in past on using AA miles and was easily able to select seats. Am I missing something?
1A and 1K are blocked for airport check-in.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
that’s right! Forgot about that. Thx!!
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
This suggests that the best strategy is to reserve 2A for one person and then check in early as possible and hope to get 1A for the other person.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:43 am

Does anyone know if Alaska routing rules allow open-jaw stopovers on JL? Thinking of booking ORD - HND, stopover for a week, then Osaka - SIN. Would they allow this or do I need to fly out from TYO-SIN and find my own way back to Tokyo from Osaka?

Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Just released two JAL F JFK-HND on 13 Nov.
hopefully they are back in inventory and someone can use them.

good luck!
kalderlake likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 10:21 am

hi guys, I am looking at the TSA-HND route previously mentioned. It is only available in business class (both online and phone agent), but on AA and Qantas it shows economy available. I want to use AS miles to get the free stopover. Is there a work around to this?
Just an update, I did submit a complaint form but haven't heard anything back yet. However, one thing I noticed is that the same economy awards that aren't available on AS isn't available via qantas either. It seems that it is only available via AA. I need to call BA to check since TSA airport doesn't populate on their website.
In your original post about this route you said both AA and Qantas had availability in economy. If you were wrong and no other partners except AA show availability then that is a different situation. It is likely that AA is showing phantom availability and there is not a problem with AS, just no availability.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.