Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Nov 7, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Releasing Business seat HND LAX JAN 8

Now releasing coveted one JAL C(Business) HND-LAX on 8 JAN.
hopefully they are back in inventory.

Jiburi
Old Nov 7, 2022, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dkerr
This suggests that the best strategy is to reserve 2A for one person and then check in early as possible and hope to get 1A for the other person.
agree with that strategy. reserved 2A and will check-in early and hope for 1A. Thx!
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by diggnan
agree with that strategy. reserved 2A and will check-in early and hope for 1A. Thx!
FYI, 1A, 1K is airport assignment only. You will not be able to assign it at online check-in, you have to physically be at the airport to get them to assign 1A or 1K if you are not OWE.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
FYI, 1A, 1K is airport assignment only. You will not be able to assign it at online check-in, you have to physically be at the airport to get them to assign 1A or 1K if you are not OWE.
I am OWE via AA. So then I should be able to select them at online check-in? I donít see my OWE notes on JAL anywhere. The only option I see when I manage my reservation for FF programs is JL on a drop-down menu. Any advice on getting JL to see me OWE status on the reservation? Iím guessing I could just call.

thanks again for the nuances here so I can be prepared.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by diggnan
I am OWE via AA. So then I should be able to select them at online check-in? I donít see my OWE notes on JAL anywhere. The only option I see when I manage my reservation for FF programs is JL on a drop-down menu. Any advice on getting JL to see me OWE status on the reservation? Iím guessing I could just call.

thanks again for the nuances here so I can be prepared.
No, 1A and 1K can only be assigned at airport, with very few exceptions, none of them being OWE. (excptn: medical disability, has to be done by Japan office and VIPs, also only done by Japan)
skimthetrees and diggnan like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:08 pm

In your original post about this route you said both AA and Qantas had availability in economy. If you were wrong and no other partners except AA show availability then that is a different situation. It is likely that AA is showing phantom availability and there is not a problem with AS, just no availability.
Hi, yes I was wrong and only AA had availability. However, it is not phantom as I was able to book it with AA miles. Just rather to book it with AS to take advantage of the free stop over on the way back to US.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:41 pm

Odd - I got 1A during online checkin earlier this year. No status reflected on booking.

I was the only one in F so maybe they handled things differently
Old Nov 9, 2022, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird84
Odd - I got 1A during online checkin earlier this year. No status reflected on booking.

I was the only one in F so maybe they handled things differently
My experience on this was pre pandemic and only related to 777-300. Maybe things have changed. Were you traveling on a 777-300? Did you assign it yourself or was it auto-assigned?
Old Nov 9, 2022, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by desafino
does anyone have historical experience with F opening up during the christmas blackout window?
A few months before Covid outbreaks, we took the first class on JAL out of Chicago at the end of Dec. I saw tons of last min first class seats between Dec 25th to end of Dec at that time so I didnĎt feel there was a black out. However, I am not sure about mid Dec-Dec 25th the super peak time thoughÖ.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
I am seeing 1 J seat HND-LAX but it only appears as part of KIX-HND-LAX routing with an overnight in HND. BA.com doesn't show availability for that HND-LAX seat.

Is this a fluke, or can you actually book that seat?

I have searched Tokyo-LAX and KIX-LAX and there is no J availability in all of Dec. I assume this means there is no Japan-LAX availability even if I originate elsewhere in Asia.

Might more availability appear?
Old Nov 10, 2022, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by eethan
I am seeing 1 J seat HND-LAX but it only appears as part of KIX-HND-LAX routing with an overnight in HND. BA.com doesn't show availability for that HND-LAX seat.

Is this a fluke, or can you actually book that seat?

I have searched Tokyo-LAX and KIX-LAX and there is no J availability in all of Dec. I assume this means there is no Japan-LAX availability even if I originate elsewhere in Asia.

Might more availability appear?
If you want the seat, book the seat and see if it goes through. I suspect it will if you book the KIX-LAX that shows online. Not bookable as HND-LAX alone.

I found a date as you describe. My guess is that KIX-LAX is bookable. The date I checked shows availability on AA and AS. I suspect this is a married segment itinerary, only bookable together. BA online search does not show well married segments itineraries that span calendar days although it may be bookable on BA by calling in.
aquanine likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 9:41 am

J to F *Online* upgrade

Is it possible to do a J to F *Online* upgrade, or do you have to call in? Looks like it should be doable, and I believe a phone rep said it was possible, but I've always heard about people calling in to upgrade. If this isn't possible and I'm worried it could sell out before I get to an agent, should I cancel the J ticket and get the F?
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nocheckedbags777
Is it possible to do a J to F *Online* upgrade, or do you have to call in? Looks like it should be doable, and I believe a phone rep said it was possible, but I've always heard about people calling in to upgrade. If this isn't possible and I'm worried it could sell out before I get to an agent, should I cancel the J ticket and get the F?
You can do it online.
nocheckedbags777 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:51 am

Does using the change tool to select flights at the end of the calendar not work anymore? Booked a dummy flight outside of the block and attempted to change date via the change tool to a day with confirmed availability (via AA) and it doesn't show up. FWIW the round trip trick still works as that shows the desired flight in the blocked days
Old Nov 10, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by nocheckedbags777
If you try to change your current flight from J to F (no date change) then you will probably have to call in. The online tool didn't show F seats for whatever reason. However, it was a few months ago, AS may have "improved" their online tools.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.