Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Kamiakdad
FYI I did find F award booking 2 months from now.
I am currently booked on all segments in J but just found award flight with 1st segment in coach and 2nd longest segment in First class. Should I switch to the mixed coach/first or stay with all business class on JAL? Any advice would be appreciated.
J is getting harder to find these days so the odds are that if only Y is available on a segment 2 months from now you will probably be stuck in Y on that segment. At that point it becomes a question to you, which do you prefer, J+J or Y+F? As fbrdky alluded to with their question, the answer probably depends on the length of Y segment and the direction of the flights.

One thing to check, is there availability of J on the short segment when searching separately? The reason for this is that Alaska has (at least had) a bug where the web booking engine would not show J space when paired with an F award (not show J+F even when J was available but only show Y+F). If J is available on the individual Y segment then you have a good chance, based on previous reports, to after booking Y+F using the online change tool to either keep the F segment but change the Y segment to J, or call in to a partner agent and have them do it.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
If I have miles in two accounts and want to book two tickets, can I call in with my partner on the line to book both on the same PNR using points fr.both accounts or do I just need to book them separately and hope nothing goes wrong?
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Smiley90
If I have miles in two accounts and want to book two tickets, can I call in with my partner on the line to book both on the same PNR using points fr.both accounts or do I just need to book them separately and hope nothing goes wrong?
I suggest using the miles in one account to book the outbound, and the other account for the return. That way the two travelers for each set of flights are on the same PNR. They won't let you use two accounts to book onto a single PNR, in my experience.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I suggest using the miles in one account to book the outbound, and the other account for the return. That way the two travelers for each set of flights are on the same PNR. They won't let you use two accounts to book onto a single PNR, in my experience.
AS will redeem miles from each of the passengers accounts if and only if there are sufficient miles to cover the award. I have done it many times.

Booking one-way from one account in one direction and one-way from the the other account for the return assumes 1) a return is required and 2) there are sufficient miles to cover two awards in each account. Quite often, that is not the case.

For example, if you are looking for an award for two in J on JL return, US-Asia is 65K miles, 260K return for 2. One account has 200k, the other 100K. How do you book so you have 2 PNRs?

Either account holder can book an award for two and draw from the other account since there are sufficient miles. After booking, the 200K account now has 135K and the other 35K. The 135K account holder books an award for 2 and will have a 5K balance. 260K redemmed, 2 PNRs.

The same holds true if you are booking an award for 2 one-way only but don't have enough miles to book 2 from one account.

James
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Does Alaska still charges $125 to cancel a partner award ticket?
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
Does Alaska still charges $125 to cancel a partner award ticket?
No change or cancelation fees on awards; AS or partner. In the case of a partner award, the $12.50 per direction partner award booking fee is non-refundable.

James
invalyd likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
AS will redeem miles from each of the passengers accounts if and only if there are sufficient miles to cover the award. I have done it many times.

Booking one-way from one account in one direction and one-way from the the other account for the return assumes 1) a return is required and 2) there are sufficient miles to cover two awards in each account. Quite often, that is not the case.

For example, if you are looking for an award for two in J on JL return, US-Asia is 65K miles, 260K return for 2. One account has 200k, the other 100K. How do you book so you have 2 PNRs?

Either account holder can book an award for two and draw from the other account since there are sufficient miles. After booking, the 200K account now has 135K and the other 35K. The 135K account holder books an award for 2 and will have a 5K balance. 260K redemmed, 2 PNRs.

The same holds true if you are booking an award for 2 one-way only but don't have enough miles to book 2 from one account.

James
Sorry so just to confirm, it SHOULD be possible? So e.g. if both me and my partner have 70k points each, I could call in and say "I'd like to book two tickets to Japan, please take 65k from each of our accounts and book the tickets on the same PNR"?
Old Oct 20, 2022, 3:25 pm

Sorry so just to confirm, it SHOULD be possible? So e.g. if both me and my partner have 70k points each, I could call in and say "I'd like to book two tickets to Japan, please take 65k from each of our accounts and book the tickets on the same PNR"?
Correct, I have done that multiple times.

James
kalderlake likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Correct, I have done that multiple times.

James
Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I ended up returning my two HND-SFO business and one HNT-LAX first seats to inventory today. It was tough to find three seats on the same routing for my trip two weeks out - and a bunch of ANA inventory opened up YVR-NRT and HND-SFO for the dates I want. Moving chase ultimate rewards to virgin atlantic to book these for 90k miles R/T is normally a great deal - but with the 30% bonus on chase-->virgin flying club transfers this month it only cost me 208k points for three business class r/t's. I couldn't pass that up - even with the $2k in fuel surcharges Virgin Atlantic passes on. I'd rather the three of us travel together - so to whomever got my F seat HND-LAX on Nov 10th - you're welcome!

Alaska is still a great value compared to United in all my searches. Delta... unbelievable joke. Really crossing my fingers on the announced "changes coming soon"
ssk244 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Looking to book flights with miles to Osaka and back from Tokyo next October in business class, for 2. We can fly from either SEA or SFO. Either way we fly to Tokyo then take a domestic flight to Osaka. The SEA flight is a 787 and the SFO flight is a 777. The seating configurations appear to be different ( 2-2-2 in the 777 or 1-2-1 in the 787) but I don’t know how to figure out which 787. Onfigurationnactually applies. The SFO flight time is an hour longer for the over-water flight, but we would arrive earlier in Osaka because the Seattle flight has a longer layover at NRT.

Balancing the pros and cons, I am leaning toward the SFO flight for an earlier arrival time (17:35 versus 2 hours later). We will want to travel to Kyoto to our hotel that same evening. Are there considerations regarding the type of seats or other things to consider that would be more important than arrival time?

Alternatively , we could just fly to Tokyo and spend the night there, then take the train to Kyoto the next morning. That is what we did last time (3 years ago). But the Tokyo hotel was very expensive, and it required an extra hotel as well as the train expense.

thanks for your help.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enzian
Are there considerations regarding the type of seats or other things to consider that would be more important than arrival time?
Different people have different thresholds. If in business on an asian carrier I don't quibble over metal type too much. HND vs NRT - not a biggie either. #1 is - which option will give you the best timing for rest at your destination? Go with that in my opinion.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by enzian
Looking to book flights with miles to Osaka and back from Tokyo next October in business class, for 2. We can fly from either SEA or SFO. Either way we fly to Tokyo then take a domestic flight to Osaka. The SEA flight is a 787 and the SFO flight is a 777. The seating configurations appear to be different ( 2-2-2 in the 777 or 1-2-1 in the 787) but I don’t know how to figure out which 787. Onfigurationnactually applies. The SFO flight time is an hour longer for the over-water flight, but we would arrive earlier in Osaka because the Seattle flight has a longer layover at NRT.

Balancing the pros and cons, I am leaning toward the SFO flight for an earlier arrival time (17:35 versus 2 hours later). We will want to travel to Kyoto to our hotel that same evening. Are there considerations regarding the type of seats or other things to consider that would be more important than arrival time?

Alternatively , we could just fly to Tokyo and spend the night there, then take the train to Kyoto the next morning. That is what we did last time (3 years ago). But the Tokyo hotel was very expensive, and it required an extra hotel as well as the train expense.

thanks for your help.
Currently the SEA-NRT flight is loaded as a 787-800
https://www.aerolopa.com/jl-boeing-787-type-e12

777-300ER SFO-HND:
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ja...77-300ER_B.php
https://www.aerolopa.com/jl-boeing-777-300er

787-800 SFO-NRT same configuration as the SEA flight
https://www.aerolopa.com/jl-boeing-787-type-e12

These all have a version of the JAL Sky Suite so probably the Business seats are similar. The 777-300ER has a 2-3-2 config (3 seats in the middle) so probably pick the side seats there. JAL blocks window seats towards the front of the Business Class cabin unless you have OWE status so beware of that.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 7:34 pm

So just to confirm, it doesnt look like I'll be able to select my seats on an award F seat unless I have OWE status?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by guanin2999
So just to confirm, it doesnt look like I'll be able to select my seats on an award F seat unless I have OWE status?
You will be able to. No status needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.