Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
So you’re limiting yourself to one city, during Sakura season, and relatively close even during normal times.

It’s doubtful you’d find space in a non pandemic year. If you are indeed worrying about a devalue spend the miles on SQ. Otherwise, book Y and hope space opens T-14
I prefer SQ over JAL, so if I need to fly to another city to catch my long haul, then I'm going to do that on SQ (where I really need to use my miles as extensions are over after the year ends).

And I said Feb - May. Last I checked Feb, most of March, and May, are not Sakura season.

Originally Posted by najama2
That's sort of how supply and demand works...
You sort of missed my point. Why would someone want to travel to a country when it's closed? Japan was open pre-2020 and I had lots of luck booking J/F awards on Alaska.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA PS, AA GLD, SPG GLD, PC PLT, CC GLD
Having a strange bug when trying to book DEL-HND (stopover)-CTS in Feb 2023 on the AS website.

I can see award availability for both the DEL-HND and HND-CTS for the dates I need, but the multi-city is erroring out when trying to book with the stopover. Is this just one of those situations where I'd have to call in?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 10:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LordByran
Having a strange bug when trying to book DEL-HND (stopover)-CTS in Feb 2023 on the AS website.

I can see award availability for both the DEL-HND and HND-CTS for the dates I need, but the multi-city is erroring out when trying to book with the stopover. Is this just one of those situations where I'd have to call in?
No stopovers are permitted on Intra‐Asia awards.

Look at the terms and conditions for Asia to Asia awards bullet 10.
Terms and conditions
  1. The purchaser of an award ticket is responsible for all applicable taxes, fees, and checked baggage charges imposed by the transporting carrier(s) or U.S. or international authorities.A $12.50 (USD) nonrefundable fee will be collected per person, each way
  2. Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
  3. The following blackout dates apply for travel on Korean Air between Korea and Southeast Asia in 2023: Jan 2-15, Jan21-Jan24, Jul 15-Aug 5, Aug 19-Sep 3, Sep 27-Oct 9
  4. The following blackout dates apply for travel on Korean Air between Korea and Southeast Asia in 2022: Jan 1-10, Jan 28-Feb 6, Jul 16-Aug 7, Aug 20-Sep 4, Sep 8-12, Dec 29-31
  5. One-way Korean Air award bookings are charged the same number of miles as round-trip travel. Korean Air flights, when used one-way in combination with Alaska Airlines or another partner airline to create a round-trip itinerary (routing restrictions apply)
  6. Korean Air does not allow lap infants in Business Class. A full award must be redeemed for all passengers, including children under 24 months old.
  7. Award flights between Australia, Europe, Asia, Middle East, Africa, South America, South Pacific, Indian Subcontinent, New Zealand, Caribbean, Mexico and Central America must be booked at least 72 hours before the departure time.
  8. Carrier Imposed Charge: Hainan Airlines mandates a carrier imposed charge, ranging from approximately $100 to over $750 (USD), for all awards redeemed by Mileage Plan members.
  9. Mixed-cabin itineraries are booked at the award level listed for the highest class of service of any included segment. For example, where one segment is in Main Cabin and another segment is in First Class, the number of miles required will correspond to a
  10. Stopovers are not available on Intra- Asia award redemptions.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Oct 3, 2022 at 7:28 am
Old Oct 3, 2022, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
You sort of missed my point. Why would someone want to travel to a country when it's closed?
Because

1. You can still transit thru a country even if it's closed.
2. Japanese citizens could still enter the country.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 9:43 am

AS Flight Changes

I have two separate award tickets booked on JL (F) for later in December, but I'm hoping to change them to sooner (just waiting for some award availability to open up). When I try to make changes using the 'change reservation' button online, it says that I'm not able to make changes online and that I need to call in - has anyone run into this issue before and is there a way to work around it (other than calling in to make the changes)?
I'm a bit wary of having to call in, given how quickly some of these seats can go. Would appreciate any advice!
Old Oct 3, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Beeb
I have two separate award tickets booked on JL (F) for later in December, but I'm hoping to change them to sooner (just waiting for some award availability to open up). When I try to make changes using the 'change reservation' button online, it says that I'm not able to make changes online and that I need to call in - has anyone run into this issue before and is there a way to work around it (other than calling in to make the changes)?
I'm a bit wary of having to call in, given how quickly some of these seats can go. Would appreciate any advice!
Something in your itinerary changed and needs to be addressed. It could be as small as a schedule change of a few minutes on one segment. Call AS now and have them look at the itinerary. Once it is addressed, you will be able to access the itinerary online and make changes as appropriate if/when award availability presents itself.

Too many changes to a PNR will also prevent further changes online. If that is the issue, unfortunately you will be at the mercy of phone queues and talking with an agent.

James
kalderlake and DiamondMile like this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Something in your itinerary changed and needs to be addressed. It could be as small as a schedule change of a few minutes on one segment. Call AS now and have them look at the itinerary. Once it is addressed, you will be able to access the itinerary online and make changes as appropriate if/when award availability presents itself.

Too many changes to a PNR will also prevent further changes online. If that is the issue, unfortunately you will be at the mercy of phone queues and talking with an agent.

James
Interesting... so, there was a small schedule change that had prevented me from even accessing the reservation on My Trips (that I'd called in and fixed already). But, I never updated the PNR myself. Could this still cause it to lock me out of making changes online?
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Yes - there seems to be a new bug with changing online for JL res. I just wanted to change dates and it gave me the "you have to call in to change" message
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:29 pm

Hi All, Trying was looking at booking TPE->NRT (not stopover) -> SEA. I see on American this exact itinerary is bookable 8/30/23. Even when splitting into TPE->NRT (8/30/23) JL802 and NRT->SEA (8/30/23) JL68 both legs show up. Yet on Alaska It shows no results using the multi city tool. Is this a case where I have to call in? Both legs don't show up in AS however
Old Oct 4, 2022, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by will_give_tp_for_miles
Hi All, Trying was looking at booking TPE->NRT (not stopover) -> SEA. I see on American this exact itinerary is bookable 8/30/23. Even when splitting into TPE->NRT (8/30/23) JL802 and NRT->SEA (8/30/23) JL68 both legs show up. Yet on Alaska It shows no results using the multi city tool. Is this a case where I have to call in? Both legs don't show up in AS however
Known issue with end of schedule availability that’s extensively discussed in the thread. AS’s engine is broken when you book close to T-330.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34382469-post597.html
Old Oct 4, 2022, 8:56 pm

Tried searching, but wasn't able to find anything.
Snagged a jfk - hnd for next year, but ultimately want to go jfk - hnd - kul. Figured I'd book the first segment while I could, but once the other segment opens up, what's the best method for booking? Is there anyway to do this online? If not, will I be able to call in and book it (without losing the jfk-hnd availability)? Appreciate your help
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Known issue with end of schedule availability thatís extensively discussed in the thread. ASís engine is broken when you book close to T-330.

It seems like something is funny with the way JAL is marrying award segments and showing up on the AS site inconsistently as well. I've been trying to get J awards from TYO-BKK for next month, but none are available (only awards in economy). However, if you look up awards from another airport in Japan (NGO, ITM/KIX, FUK, etc), it'll show availability in J from (NGO/ITM/KIX/FUK)-TYO-BKK. It won't show up when I try to add this to an existing reservation either (trying to add TYO as stopover from SFO-HND), the availability only shows up in economy, even though there's availability in J when searching the AS site like you're making a new award booking.

Last edited by jglenn16; Oct 5, 2022 at 5:10 am
Old Oct 5, 2022, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Known issue with end of schedule availability thatís extensively discussed in the thread. ASís engine is broken when you book close to T-330.

I don't think it's the end of schedule issue but something to do with legs involving TPE. Even in April there is a bookable itinerary showing up on AA but not in AS. Even trying to book NRT-TPE alone the AS calendar shows no flights. Changing the route from NRT-BKK for example still shows JL flights but for some reason TPE does not. Has anyone had success booking an AS award involving TPE recently? For whatever weird reason, HND-TSA shows up fine though
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by will_give_tp_for_miles
I don't think it's the end of schedule issue but something to do with legs involving TPE. Even in April there is a bookable itinerary showing up on AA but not in AS. Even trying to book NRT-TPE alone the AS calendar shows no flights. Changing the route from NRT-BKK for example still shows JL flights but for some reason TPE does not. Has anyone had success booking an AS award involving TPE recently? For whatever weird reason, HND-TSA shows up fine though
eponymous_coward is correct that you won't see this on AS in the few days at the very end of schedule due to the bug mentioned previously.

I do not see AA showing availability for the dates you mentioned TPE-NRT-SEA. I do see availability in economy via AS MP in July so there is not an inherent problem with TPE, 7/11,12,13 for example. Are you looking for Y availability?

On the Taipei to TYO route it looks like JL runs 1-2 flights a day TSA-HND, but only one flight TPE-NRT. On the TSA-HND flights I have found occasions where both Y and J have availability, on the TPE-HND route far out I only have seen Y. It looks like JL has a married segment block on the TPE-NRT flights near the end of schedule. They will not allow you to book (near EOS) the TPE-NRT flight connecting to a SEA flight (probably all US flights). Even if you book via AAdvantage for those dates today you would have to book as two separate awards. At some point (currently around 6-8 weeks out) JL removes the married segment block and you should be able to book together (if there is still availability).

I doubt you will be able to do much to completely solve this problem until you get outside the AS bug window (used to be around 5 days) and even then it would required some work and luck to make it happen, the approach to which might vary depending on what the availability patterns of the TPE-NRT flight are combined with what the availability of the NRT-SEA flights are. If you are booking or have the points to book a round trip this could open additional options inside the AS bug window. Since this is so far out (Japan will be open for tourists) you could book TSA-HND connecting to NRT-SEA and do the land transfer in TYO if you had to but the odds are at some point the TPE-NRT will open up, at least in Y and you can change to that. Other options might be to book through another US gateway, TSA-SEA (via HND and SFO, LAX, or maybe even YVR).
Old Oct 6, 2022, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
eponymous_coward is correct that you won't see this on AS in the few days at the very end of schedule due to the bug mentioned previously.

I do not see AA showing availability for the dates you mentioned TPE-NRT-SEA. I do see availability in economy via AS MP in July so there is not an inherent problem with TPE, 7/11,12,13 for example. Are you looking for Y availability?

On the Taipei to TYO route it looks like JL runs 1-2 flights a day TSA-HND, but only one flight TPE-NRT. On the TSA-HND flights I have found occasions where both Y and J have availability, on the TPE-HND route far out I only have seen Y. It looks like JL has a married segment block on the TPE-NRT flights near the end of schedule. They will not allow you to book (near EOS) the TPE-NRT flight connecting to a SEA flight (probably all US flights). Even if you book via AAdvantage for those dates today you would have to book as two separate awards. At some point (currently around 6-8 weeks out) JL removes the married segment block and you should be able to book together (if there is still availability).

I doubt you will be able to do much to completely solve this problem until you get outside the AS bug window (used to be around 5 days) and even then it would required some work and luck to make it happen, the approach to which might vary depending on what the availability patterns of the TPE-NRT flight are combined with what the availability of the NRT-SEA flights are. If you are booking or have the points to book a round trip this could open additional options inside the AS bug window. Since this is so far out (Japan will be open for tourists) you could book TSA-HND connecting to NRT-SEA and do the land transfer in TYO if you had to but the odds are at some point the TPE-NRT will open up, at least in Y and you can change to that. Other options might be to book through another US gateway, TSA-SEA (via HND and SFO, LAX, or maybe even YVR).
The JL married segment block you mentioned. Does JL typically remove the block 6-8 weeks from today date? or 6-8 weeks out from the EOS? Asking since I've been trying to book TYO-BKK in J, but it looks to only be available when married with another airport in Japan, outside of TYO. Thanks in advance!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.