Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by jglenn16
The JL married segment block you mentioned. Does JL typically remove the block 6-8 weeks from today date? or 6-8 weeks out from the EOS? Asking since I've been trying to book TYO-BKK in J, but it looks to only be available when married with another airport in Japan, outside of TYO. Thanks in advance!
On the route mentioned the block did not exist 6-8 weeks in from End of Schedule. I do not know if it means there was a block and they released it or whether there never was a block. Each route may have different patterns so what applies to one may not apply to another. It is up to JAL how they choose to implement it.

So you are not attempting to add a TYO-BKK segment to an existing US-TYO award? All you want is a separate TYO-BKK award not paired to an existing AS award? In that case I believe it should be fairly simple for you since you say the award is available when married to another airport in Japan. Book the trip from the other airport, for example NGO-BKK via TYO, after it tickets call the AS partner line and tell them you want to drop the NGO-TYO segment but keep the TYO-BKK segment. They may have to get a supervisor involved but this has been possible in the past.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
On the route mentioned the block did not exist 6-8 weeks in from End of Schedule. I do not know if it means there was a block and they released it or whether there never was a block. Each route may have different patterns so what applies to one may not apply to another. It is up to JAL how they choose to implement it.

So you are not attempting to add a TYO-BKK segment to an existing US-TYO award? All you want is a separate TYO-BKK award not paired to an existing AS award? In that case I believe it should be fairly simple for you since you say the award is available when married to another airport in Japan. Book the trip from the other airport, for example NGO-BKK via TYO, after it tickets call the AS partner line and tell them you want to drop the NGO-TYO segment but keep the TYO-BKK segment. They may have to get a supervisor involved but this has been possible in the past.
Actually, I am trying to add it to an existing US-TYO award. I have an existing award that is from LAX-NRT (3 day stopover) TKS-HND-BKK. The TKS-HND-BKK segments are in economy, which is why I'm trying to change it. There's business availability out of Nagoya, NGO-NRT-BKK on the AS site. So ultimately LAX-NRT (3 day stopover) NGO-NRT-BKK, and then try to drop the NGO-NRT segment later, but would be okay keeping it if I could get both segments in business. It is possible to do this via partner desk with my current award, or would it have to be a separate booking? Thanks again!
Old Oct 6, 2022, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Actually, I am trying to add it to an existing US-TYO award. I have an existing award that is from LAX-NRT (3 day stopover) TKS-HND-BKK. The TKS-HND-BKK segments are in economy, which is why I'm trying to change it. There's business availability out of Nagoya, NGO-NRT-BKK on the AS site. So ultimately LAX-NRT (3 day stopover) NGO-NRT-BKK, and then try to drop the NGO-NRT segment later, but would be okay keeping it if I could get both segments in business. It is possible to do this via partner desk with my current award, or would it have to be a separate booking? Thanks again!
Huh, I'm surprised that was even possible. Are you sure that's booked as a stopover and not as two awards? AFAIK AS awards only allowed stopovers in Tokyo on JAL flights.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Huh, I'm surprised that was even possible. Are you sure that's booked as a stopover and not as two awards? AFAIK AS awards only allowed stopovers in Tokyo on JAL flights.
Yeah, I was able to book it as a multi-city on the website a couple days ago. It priced and booked as a 65k award redemption, but only with the LAX-NRT//TKS-HND segments in business. The HND-BKK segment is in economy.

Last edited by jglenn16; Oct 6, 2022 at 5:32 pm
Old Oct 6, 2022, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Yeah, I was able to book it as a multi-city on the website a couple days ago. It priced and booked as a 65k award redemption, but only with the LAX-NRT//TKS-HND segments in business. The HND-BKK segment is in economy.
Interesting. I wonder if it worked because NRT and HND are different airports? E.g. you can't route through NRT twice, but it lets you fly through NRT AND HND. Just speculating.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 6:41 pm

eponymous_coward is correct that you won't see this on AS in the few days at the very end of schedule due to the bug mentioned previously.

I do not see AA showing availability for the dates you mentioned TPE-NRT-SEA. I do see availability in economy via AS MP in July so there is not an inherent problem with TPE, 7/11,12,13 for example. Are you looking for Y availability?

On the Taipei to TYO route it looks like JL runs 1-2 flights a day TSA-HND, but only one flight TPE-NRT. On the TSA-HND flights I have found occasions where both Y and J have availability, on the TPE-HND route far out I only have seen Y. It looks like JL has a married segment block on the TPE-NRT flights near the end of schedule. They will not allow you to book (near EOS) the TPE-NRT flight connecting to a SEA flight (probably all US flights). Even if you book via AAdvantage for those dates today you would have to book as two separate awards. At some point (currently around 6-8 weeks out) JL removes the married segment block and you should be able to book together (if there is still availability).

I doubt you will be able to do much to completely solve this problem until you get outside the AS bug window (used to be around 5 days) and even then it would required some work and luck to make it happen, the approach to which might vary depending on what the availability patterns of the TPE-NRT flight are combined with what the availability of the NRT-SEA flights are. If you are booking or have the points to book a round trip this could open additional options inside the AS bug window. Since this is so far out (Japan will be open for tourists) you could book TSA-HND connecting to NRT-SEA and do the land transfer in TYO if you had to but the odds are at some point the TPE-NRT will open up, at least in Y and you can change to that. Other options might be to book through another US gateway, TSA-SEA (via HND and SFO, LAX, or maybe even YVR).
Thanks for the info! I'm looking for any availability for TPE->NRT. My ultimate goal was to fly both legs in J either by doing book NRT->SEA in J then hopefully add TPE->NRT J later on to it or book TPE->NRT in Y with a NRT->SEA J leg then later on upgrade the TPE->NRT Y leg to J if availability opened up but am unable to even get a Y leg for TPE->NRT. What is this 6-8 week block?
Old Oct 6, 2022, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Huh, I'm surprised that was even possible.
Me too.

I think you being able to book as one award through Tokyo is a bug and I highly suspect that this bug will not extend to booking a second connection through the same airport (NRT). Stopover in TYO, yes. flying back through is, well, backtracking, and is supposed to not be allowed which is why I think there is a bug. I think the bug depends on the airports being different even though they are in the same city.

The BKK segment is restricted to married (at this point but it will probably be changed to unrestricted at some point later), the USA segment is not married restricted but can be part of a marriage to BKK if the connection is less than 24 hours. To my knowledge, you cannot book a marriage restricted segment by itself. AS can break a marriage but cannot create a marriage without valid partner segments to marry. A stopover divorces the segments and prevents a new married booking. Typically what can be done, which may be no help to you in this situation, is to book a married itinerary available with the married segments and then either cancel the non-married segment, or more commonly, change the date of the non-married segment to create a stopover. For example, Booking LAX-BKK via NRT, picking up the NRT-BKK segment that only shows up when married, then changing the date on the LAX-NRT segment (must have award availability on the new date for LAX-NRT) to create a stopover in NRT. You can thus grab the married segment and divorce it while still keeping it. But, you can't marry a married segment without a valid itin to partner it to, and as you described your trip, I don't think you don't have one.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by will_give_tp_for_miles
Thanks for the info! I'm looking for any availability for TPE->NRT. My ultimate goal was to fly both legs in J either by doing book NRT->SEA in J then hopefully add TPE->NRT J later on to it or book TPE->NRT in Y with a NRT->SEA J leg then later on upgrade the TPE->NRT Y leg to J if availability opened up but am unable to even get a Y leg for TPE->NRT. What is this 6-8 week block?
I am just referring to the 6-8 week window as a block for convenience. I have not studied the history on this route so I do not actually know if it is really a 6-8 week block or just looks that way because the flights 6-8 weeks earlier were never marriage restricted to begin with. What I see is that today this route is marriage restricted at End of Schedule and 6-8 weeks prior it is not marriage restricted. It could be a block for 6-8 weeks or it could be something else, like the current EOS is a busy time so they restricted it. Without prior or future study it is difficult to say for sure what exactly causes this behavior but in the past we have seen similar types of behavior that are blocks, and sometimes those blocks have a fairly defined pattern of release and sometimes they don't.

Since the Tapei flights are married restricted now at EOS, your options are to either book separate awards, book from TSA through HND, or book NRT-SEA now and look to add a flight from TPE later when JAL changes the status to not married restricted which should eventually happen although by then who knows what the availability will be?
Old Oct 7, 2022, 7:05 pm

Me too.

I think you being able to book as one award through Tokyo is a bug and I highly suspect that this bug will not extend to booking a second connection through the same airport (NRT). Stopover in TYO, yes. flying back through is, well, backtracking, and is supposed to not be allowed which is why I think there is a bug. I think the bug depends on the airports being different even though they are in the same city.

The BKK segment is restricted to married (at this point but it will probably be changed to unrestricted at some point later), the USA segment is not married restricted but can be part of a marriage to BKK if the connection is less than 24 hours. To my knowledge, you cannot book a marriage restricted segment by itself. AS can break a marriage but cannot create a marriage without valid partner segments to marry. A stopover divorces the segments and prevents a new married booking. Typically what can be done, which may be no help to you in this situation, is to book a married itinerary available with the married segments and then either cancel the non-married segment, or more commonly, change the date of the non-married segment to create a stopover. For example, Booking LAX-BKK via NRT, picking up the NRT-BKK segment that only shows up when married, then changing the date on the LAX-NRT segment (must have award availability on the new date for LAX-NRT) to create a stopover in NRT. You can thus grab the married segment and divorce it while still keeping it. But, you can't marry a married segment without a valid itin to partner it to, and as you described your trip, I don't think you don't have one.
Thanks for all the feedback and insight! Appreciate it, this is all really helpful in making future bookings!
Old Oct 8, 2022, 3:15 am

Hi - does anyone have any experience with dropping a segment on a JAL booking?
Situation is as follows: I have a One-way business class Award booking on JAL - "DEL-HND-KMQ" - using AS miles for Nov 12th. I now am not planning to continue to Komatsu and instead end the trip at HND.
I tried to cancel/drop the HND-KMQ segment online on AS website and got an error. So per force had to call AS. After waiting for over an hour for the partner rate desk, AS told me - they can't do it since there is no availability of DEL-HND in C.
So my question is, are there any potential issues if I just don't show up for the connecting flight at HND? Since we are a group of 4 (the other 3 are travelling on a different AA award DEL-HND booking ), I will not check-in any luggage.
Has someone tried this earlier? Should I anticipate any problem at HND or with JAL?
Thanks for any and all advise.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by earthyfool
Hi - does anyone have any experience with dropping a segment on a JAL booking?
Situation is as follows: I have a One-way business class Award booking on JAL - "DEL-HND-KMQ" - using AS miles for Nov 12th. I now am not planning to continue to Komatsu and instead end the trip at HND.
I tried to cancel/drop the HND-KMQ segment online on AS website and got an error. So per force had to call AS. After waiting for over an hour for the partner rate desk, AS told me - they can't do it since there is no availability of DEL-HND in C.
So my question is, are there any potential issues if I just don't show up for the connecting flight at HND? Since we are a group of 4 (the other 3 are travelling on a different AA award DEL-HND booking ), I will not check-in any luggage.
Has someone tried this earlier? Should I anticipate any problem at HND or with JAL?
Thanks for any and all advise.
I have dropped and added segments in the past. AS can do it but you need to get to a competent agent. It should be no problem to drop the HND-KMQ segment if you talk to a competent agent. Look up the partner line phone number in this thread. Call it, preferably during SEA business hours, and you should have more luck. If they give you the same sob story of you need new availability ask to talk with a supervisor and explain you already have the availability booked for two segments and you just want to keep the one. It takes a little work from the right department but it is definitely possible. You may have to call back a couple of times to get a competent agent. I usually start out my call by saying I want to make a change to a partner award reservation and this sometimes in the past has saved me time by them routing you to a better trained agent.

It won't be a problem to just not show up for the HND-KMQ segment either if you can't find a competent agent to drop the segment (unless you have another JAL flight booked that conflicts with it).
Old Oct 8, 2022, 7:48 pm

I have dropped and added segments in the past. AS can do it but you need to get to a competent agent. It should be no problem to drop the HND-KMQ segment if you talk to a competent agent. Look up the partner line phone number in this thread. Call it, preferably during SEA business hours, and you should have more luck. If they give you the same sob story of you need new availability ask to talk with a supervisor and explain you already have the availability booked for two segments and you just want to keep the one. It takes a little work from the right department but it is definitely possible. You may have to call back a couple of times to get a competent agent. I usually start out my call by saying I want to make a change to a partner award reservation and this sometimes in the past has saved me time by them routing you to a better trained agent.

It won't be a problem to just not show up for the HND-KMQ segment either if you can't find a competent agent to drop the segment (unless you have another JAL flight booked that conflicts with it).
Thanks, will it give it a try again with AS.
Fortunately it's not a RT ticket and I have no other JAL flight booked that conflicts, so I guess in the worst case, I will simply not show up for the HND-KMQ flight.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 9:03 pm

Programs: Alaska
JAL now has a lot of married segments for premium class, especially intra-Asia.

good luck.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 9:33 pm

I have bkk-hnd-ord booked in J and trying to change hnd-ord to F (award space shows as available) but both agents told me they're not able to even though they see the space on the website. Is this true or just need to HUCA more?
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:22 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
I was able to book J award on JL Bkk-NRT-KIX-LAX. Called AS to see if I can get SEA added, but was told no can do. Is this correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.