Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:00 pm

Just made my first booking on JL using AS miles. Is there any way to verify the e-ticket on JAL side is correct? When I login with the PNR on JAL's website, doesn't seem to display the e-ticket anywhere.

I've gotten into the habit of verifying e-tickets on partner awards over the years due to a mishap in the past...
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Just made my first booking on JL using AS miles. Is there any way to verify the e-ticket on JAL side is correct? When I login with the PNR on JAL's website, doesn't seem to display the e-ticket anywhere.

I've gotten into the habit of verifying e-tickets on partner awards over the years due to a mishap in the past...
are u using the JL PNR or the AS PNR?
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
are u using the JL PNR or the AS PNR?
JL PNR on JAL's website. Can select seats etc, just can't find the e-ticket information to confirm that JL has the AS issued ticket # correctly.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA, AS
JL PNR on JAL's website. Can select seats etc, just can't find the e-ticket information to confirm that JL has the AS issued ticket # correctly.
I think so long as you confirm that AS has issued the e-ticket and you have the ticket number AND when you pull up the itinerary on JAL's website it shows all the segments and says it is "confirmed", you are good. If it says something like "ticket held until ##/##/202#" then you need to investigate further.
estnet and kalderlake like this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I think so long as you confirm that AS has issued the e-ticket and you have the ticket number AND when you pull up the itinerary on JAL's website it shows all the segments and says it is "confirmed", you are good. If it says something like "ticket held until ##/##/202#" then you need to investigate further.
Where on the JAL website can you see the individual segments showing "Confirmed"

The closest thing I can see if at the top of the page, there's a box called status, which is showing "Ticketed"
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Where on the JAL website can you see the individual segments showing "Confirmed"

The closest thing I can see if at the top of the page, there's a box called status, which is showing "Ticketed"
Look below where it says flight information. There is a small box on the lower right that says services, seats, etc. Click on that box, it will then open a window that allows you to choose your seat, meals, etc.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by estnet
Look below where it says flight information. There is a small box on the lower right that says services, seats, etc. Click on that box, it will then open a window that allows you to choose your seat, meals, etc.
Right, I can select seats etc no problem, but want to confirm whether I can see the e-ticket info through JAL's site. It sounds like I can't.

I guess I will need to call.... which I'll need to do anyways to try and add my AS FF# as the website doesn't seem to allow anything other a JMB FF#.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Originally Posted by vdostoi1
Thank you, James. I guess I am still living in the past. For some reason I thought that at one point it was possible to redeem Mileage Plan miles for JAL PE but I guess no more...
Is there some way to pay for upgrades to JL PE on an AS award ticket?
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
Not that I am aware of. I don't recall every seeing a datapoint of upgrading with JL on an award ticket. AS certainly won't; they can only ticket Main, Business and First. It is all or nothing, unlike Hotel Loyaly programs, you can't redeem miles + cash for higher cabins.

James
Old Sep 19, 2022, 12:15 pm

I have not been there in a while so I misremembered what the actual designation was, "ticketed" is what it says and if it shows that on JAL and all your segments are showing on JAL and AS and you have the ticket number you should be good.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
JAL has paid upgrade from Y to PE at airport for fixed price.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/apopyug.html

I've been told this applies to any kind of ticket, cash or award.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: AS AA
Right, I can select seats etc no problem, but want to confirm whether I can see the e-ticket info through JAL's site. It sounds like I can't.
Install the APP 'Check My Trip' on your phone and add this trip using JAL's confirmation number. You should be able to see JAL's segments CONFIRMED and a 027 ticket number under the passenger name.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HRHCyndy
I've noticed the JL LAX to NRT F availability is very good T - 13 days.
I've noticed the same from all west coast hubs. For early November - nada. For early October? Lots of options. I'll probably book economy and keep checking and doing incantations.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:13 pm
wdc

seems like AS made an update to the change flight tool, and the new page no longer recognizes any airports in japan other than NRT/HND. I see a 3 seats available from CTS-HND on AS/AA/BA/QF website, but phone agent claims they do not see any. Any tips on how to get them to see the correct inventory?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by wdc
seems like AS made an update to the change flight tool, and the new page no longer recognizes any airports in japan other than NRT/HND. I see a 3 seats available from CTS-HND on AS/AA/BA/QF website, but phone agent claims they do not see any. Any tips on how to get them to see the correct inventory?
Seems simple. You say availability is showing on the AS website so point out this fact to the agent and ask them to use that to change your flight.

It's possible there is some JAL restriction such as married segments. Do not ever mention possible restrictions to the agent. If there is one they should be able to identify it and tell you what it is definitively and if they cannot then ask for a supervisor to help make the change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.