Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by southbeach82
Just called AS to cancel a flight that I booked yesterday (less than 24 hours) - agent states that the $12.50 USD booking fee and partner fee is not refundable even within 24 hours of booking, is this correct?

When I went to the cancel page on the website - the $ that says is refundable is only the taxes and other fees - doesn't include the $37.50 USD booking fee. Is this correct? Or should I call again?

Update - HUCA and got everything refunded
Call again. I have had agents refund me the partner booking fee within 24 hours. It may not be standard but some agents at least will offer it.
southbeach82 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:39 am

I booked a while ago an award SFO-HND-BKK in F/J. F has been dropped from the SFO-HND segment so JL automatically moved me to SFO-NRT to retain F (very kind of them), but obviously I can't do the airport transfer as a foreigner. There is no award availability on NRT-BKK on my date of travel, what are the chances AS would be able to ask JL to open up a spot to move me to that flight?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
I booked a while ago an award SFO-HND-BKK in F/J. F has been dropped from the SFO-HND segment so JL automatically moved me to SFO-NRT to retain F (very kind of them), but obviously I can't do the airport transfer as a foreigner. There is no award availability on NRT-BKK on my date of travel, what are the chances AS would be able to ask JL to open up a spot to move me to that flight?
If you get through to the Partner Desk the chances are excellent. Make sure you request they open space on the later NRT-BKK flight. I don't think the earlier one meets MCT.
YYCCL3 and kalderlake like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 7:04 am

Is it correct that JAL only releases 2 J and 1 F on the ORD/JFK/BOS routes? I remember reading pre-covid, they were known to open last minute space, is that still the case now? I'm looking for 3 seats.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
found individual flights: 1.) SAN-NRT arriving 4:45pm in J and 2.) NRT-KUL departing 11:05am (giving me a 18 hr layover in NRT). Why will alaska's website allow me to book separately but not together? is there something wrong with routing or connection time that's not allowed? is this just a glitch on website and just needs a phone call?
Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by OregonTransplant
found individual flights: 1.) SAN-NRT arriving 4:45pm in J and 2.) NRT-KUL departing 11:05am (giving me a 18 hr layover in NRT). Why will alaska's website allow me to book separately but not together? is there something wrong with routing or connection time that's not allowed? is this just a glitch on website and just needs a phone call?
You are not allowed to overnight layover at NRT for now (since it requires entry to Japan). Even if AS allow you to book that flight, you shouldn't do it (unless you know for sure that you can get in Japan)!

Last edited by Thichbay; Jul 28, 2022 at 4:03 pm
Old Jul 29, 2022, 11:24 am

Is it correct that JAL only releases 2 J and 1 F on the ORD/JFK/BOS routes? I remember reading pre-covid, they were known to open last minute space, is that still the case now? I'm looking for 3 seats.
Yes, for US routes they are only opening 2J + 1F at schedule open. They may trickle out some more J if demand is very low as time goes by but I would not expect much.

Last minute F is still a thing. Last minute J not so much. My guess is this is because JAL now dynamically prices J awards for their own program so a lot of J can get taken by JAL members who are willing to pay more miles but those dynamically priced J awards are not available to partners. F awards still have the one price only via JMB and if they are not available there may be a waitlist but they are not available to be taken at any time by paying more miles like JMB J awards.
williwaw and Arsene Wenger like this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
You'll need to call to get it resolved. Sometimes with partner awards, they get in a state where they require a call.
So I called a few days ago (maybe 5 days from departure) and they were able to move my spouse to F no problems. Today I saw 1 more F seat open on the HND-JFK segment(our flight leaves today from BKK and tomorrow from HND), but they weren't able to change me to F even after HUCAing once. They both said they cannot see the space when trying to change either the HND-JFK segment or the whole BKK-JFK segment. Anything else I can do here? I'm not too familiar with Alaska or JALs married segment logic and if that matters here.

EDIT: ended up calling 4 times and the 4th time they were able to process it. Cheers!

Last edited by dcht; Jul 31, 2022 at 10:47 pm
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: *Gold, ST Elite, OW sapphire
Can’t book hanoi nrt sea with 11hr50 same day layover in nrt

Payment screen says can’t confirm partner seats

dont think it’s phantom as baec shows seats

is it case of can’t book 8hr+ layover online and need to call?

Last edited by pmdg7444; Jul 31, 2022 at 8:50 pm
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by pmdg7444
Can’t book sgn nrt sea with 11hr50 same day layover in nrt

Payment screen says can’t confirm partner seats

dont think it’s phantom as baec shows seats

is it case of can’t book 8hr+ layover online and need to call?
SGN-NRT is JL750 which land at ~4pm in NRT...how can you have 12hr same-day layover with that flight ?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I’m based out of YYZ and since JAL doesn’t fly from here, does anyone have experience transiting from the cities that JAL flies from? Which one would be a better option? YVR, ORD or JFK. I was thinking YVR since that would eliminate US customs but ORD or JFK is closer.
I was YYZ based and went through ORD. I did some pretty dangerous separate ticket "connections" in the winter too. Thankfully nothing ever went wrong.

Nobody flies direct to JFK from YYZ now that DL keeps cancelling that route, and they never flew it at particularly helpful times anyway in addition to it being expensive, so any JFK routing requires you to Uber LGA-JFK.

The JFK awards on ANA and JAL are considerably more competitive than ORD too.
kalderlake and southbeach82 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:43 pm

I have business class BKK-NRT-SEA-DEN booked JAL. First class space opened up on NRT-SFO that I would like to switch to. I called and asked the NRT-SEA to be switched to NRT-SFO and I will buy a separate ticket to get back to DEN.

I called and the agent spent ~20 minutes with the international desk and they came back and said it wasn't possible. Is this a HUCA situation or is this breaking a routing rule and not possible to do?
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by mattdk88
I have business class BKK-NRT-SEA-DEN booked JAL. First class space opened up on NRT-SFO that I would like to switch to. I called and asked the NRT-SEA to be switched to NRT-SFO and I will buy a separate ticket to get back to DEN.

I called and the agent spent ~20 minutes with the international desk and they came back and said it wasn't possible. Is this a HUCA situation or is this breaking a routing rule and not possible to do?
Shouldn't be breaking any rule unless it is overnight connection - which you currently can't do at NRT.
mattdk88 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 1:47 am

Just upgrade from J to F (same flight same date) on my LAX-NRT segment (LAX-NRT-Asia). The issue is that we could NOT do it online using Change Reservation tool. AS website shows F availability on all date except my departure date. Called AS and ask for partner award desk. The agent told me she could not get the F seats to show up either and she would need to contact supervisor(?) to upgrade me. As I compulsively refreshed the reservation screen, I saw that they added the F seat to my reservation first then removed the J seat. New ticket issued and I was able to select F seat on JAL immediately. However, I don't see my award J seat go back to inventory and available to book.

I think a workaround for this is to upgrade to F to whatever date AS website allows and then change it back to the original departure date. However, I didn't have the courage to try that lol !
Old Aug 7, 2022, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Thichbay
Just upgrade from J to F (same flight same date) on my LAX-NRT segment (LAX-NRT-Asia). The issue is that we could NOT do it online using Change Reservation tool. AS website shows F availability on all date except my departure date. Called AS and ask for partner award desk. The agent told me she could not get the F seats to show up either and she would need to contact supervisor(?) to upgrade me. As I compulsively refreshed the reservation screen, I saw that they added the F seat to my reservation first then removed the J seat. New ticket issued and I was able to select F seat on JAL immediately. However, I don't see my award J seat go back to inventory and available to book.

I think a workaround for this is to upgrade to F to whatever date AS website allows and then change it back to the original departure date. However, I didn't have the courage to try that lol !
Congrats! Just a side note: next time, try not to refresh the reservation page while agents are working on the same ticket. I've been warned by many agents that this may cause a "simultaneous" error and may further delay whatever change you're trying to do. Personally I've had one such incident, where the agent couldn't complete the transaction during the phone call, and told me to wait a few hours for the final confirmation email. She specifically instructed me not to do anything with the reservation while waiting. That was also a JL award ticket in F, and needless to day, it was two very anxious hours before I got the email. With most airlines, this should be fine (such as AA), but apparently the infamous Alaska IT doesn't like it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.