Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by donalduckn
Am seeing JL F availability near end of schedule on BA, CX, and AA but do not see it available on AS. Talking to help desk but they were no help. Tried suggested workaround and booked an alternate date but wasn't able to switch to preferred date. Rep said to wait a few days. What are my options here? Should I just suck it up and book with CX?
Are you booking in the range of the AS calendar? You probably are if you are seeing flights on AA, but BA and CX book further out than AS. You cannot book outside the AS calendar.

Do you have a lot of miles? The 100% workaround used to be to book a reverse round trip then cancel the outbound and leave the return (which because of the reverse booking is actually your outbound). I posted the workaround in the 2019 thread. This still worked the last I checked a couple of weeks ago. Note, this can be more complicated now because of AS's new bugs/limitations on combining J with F if you are doing connections but for non-stop F it should be seamless.

Details:
Reverse booking JL end of schedule workaround
kalderlake likes this.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Jul 17, 2022 at 2:07 pm
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: AP 50k, UA Silver, MB Titanium, HH Diamond
Any intel on the HND-GMP route? The award space is there on AS but been hearing it being a phantom space.

I’m trying to salvage a JFK-HND NH F I booked a year ago in case Japan doesn’t open by October (losing hope at this rate). Was hoping to route to Korea via JL as it wastes the least amount of time. I can book routing to ICN via AP just in case but would ideally like to get to GMP via JAL to save time.

offtopic but related: is the overnight in terminal hotel in HND operational? Will have to spend overnight layover either way.

TIA

Last edited by mynameisdmoon; Jul 18, 2022 at 9:22 pm Reason: Additional questions
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by mynameisdmoon
Any intel on the HND-GMP route? The award space is there on AS but been hearing it being a phantom space.

I’m trying to salvage a JFK-HND NH F I booked a year ago in case Japan doesn’t open by October (losing hope at this rate). Was hoping to route to Korea via JL as it wastes the least amount of time. I can book routing to ICN via AP just in case but would ideally like to get to GMP via JAL to save time.

offtopic but related: is the overnight in terminal hotel in HND operational? Will have to spend overnight layover either way.

TIA
There is a terminal hotel in HND? Never saw one - what do you know about this?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by estnet
There is a terminal hotel in HND? Never saw one - what do you know about this?
Royal Park Hotel.

But looks like it's still closed based on their website.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:49 am

Where have you been hearing that? I doubt it is true. If the JL space shows up for more than a day on the AS website then I would say it is bookable. That might not mean you can easily add it to an existing trip but you should be able to book it separately. There could be other factors in play. There might be married segment logic. There might be a Point of Sale block.

I see a lot of HND-GMP flights in October available via Qantas and BA. AA does not show direct flights in October but shows a ton when using a married segments OSA-GMP.

Don't be scared by hearsay, call AS and ask to add it (even if it is only Y). Maybe it will be easy? Standard advice applies: call the partner desk line during business hours. HUCA if the agent is not able to process it.
mynameisdmoon likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:46 pm

Royal Park Hotel.

But looks like it's still closed based on their website.
But that hotel is not inside immigration is it? There is a hotel close by but still have to exit - isn't that so?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
But that hotel is not inside immigration is it? There is a hotel close by but still have to exit - isn't that so?
https://onemileatatime.com/haneda-ai...-hotel-review/
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Some of these routings, I have questions about.

I tried to book BOS-TYO-KIX and it's giving me

BOS-TYO-TPE/BKK(!!!)-KIX

excuse me? TYO-KIX IS available by itself. I don't mind extra flying but that's just ridiculous
Old Jul 19, 2022, 4:31 pm

Thanks - explains why when I looked it up online it didn't show the transit portion.
Also I'm ashamed to say that I've been exactly where it shows the entrance sign is a few times and never noticed it :embarrassed: I have spent the night while the lounge was closed in a cold (a/c) area with a lot of empty chairs (precovid).
Good to know about the option, although I'm not sure I'd pay the price (but with the strong dollar when it does open it could be more reasonable).
Thanks for enlightening me

Last edited by estnet; Jul 19, 2022 at 5:39 pm
Old Jul 19, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Some of these routings, I have questions about.

I tried to book BOS-TYO-KIX and it's giving me

BOS-TYO-TPE/BKK(!!!)-KIX

excuse me? TYO-KIX IS available by itself. I don't mind extra flying but that's just ridiculous
Try ITM (Osaka Itami) instead of KIX.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Aeroplan 35K; United Premier Silver, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
If I book HND-MNL (or some other intra-Asia route, e.g. SGN, HAN, KUL), can I add on ORD-HND at a later date without having to cancel and rebook?

I want to do ORD-HND-MNL in the fall in F and J. There's no F availability on ORD-HND so I'll be waiting on last minute. The problem though is that there is J availability on HND-MNL now, but nothing within the next 14 days which leads me to think that they do not release last minute availability on this route (same for SGN, HAN, KUL). So ORD-HND might become available at T-14, but HND-MNL won't be there at that stage.

I'm trying to think of someway to secure the HND-MNL seats while there are there now and I would prefer to have both flights on the same ticket.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by fudgelie
If I book HND-MNL (or some other intra-Asia route, e.g. SGN, HAN, KUL), can I add on ORD-HND at a later date without having to cancel and rebook?

I want to do ORD-HND-MNL in the fall in F and J. There's no F availability on ORD-HND so I'll be waiting on last minute. The problem though is that there is J availability on HND-MNL now, but nothing within the next 14 days which leads me to think that they do not release last minute availability on this route (same for SGN, HAN, KUL). So ORD-HND might become available at T-14, but HND-MNL won't be there at that stage.

I'm trying to think of someway to secure the HND-MNL seats while there are there now and I would prefer to have both flights on the same ticket.
Yes, you can add a segment on later by calling in. Book what you can find now.
williwaw likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 10:55 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Are you booking in the range of the AS calendar? You probably are if you are seeing flights on AA, but BA and CX book further out than AS. You cannot book outside the AS calendar.

Do you have a lot of miles? The 100% workaround used to be to book a reverse round trip then cancel the outbound and leave the return (which because of the reverse booking is actually your outbound). I posted the workaround in the 2019 thread. This still worked the last I checked a couple of weeks ago. Note, this can be more complicated now because of AS's new bugs/limitations on combining J with F if you are doing connections but for non-stop F it should be seamless.

Details:
Reverse booking JL end of schedule workaround
Thanks for this. I think I'm doing something wrong - mind helping?

I've set up the reverse round trip as mentioned (TYO-LAX), but am still not having the returning calendar open up for the day I want. It goes no further out than seeing the one-way.

Any insight? Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by loganre17
Thanks for this. I think I'm doing something wrong - mind helping?

I've set up the reverse round trip as mentioned (TYO-LAX), but am still not having the returning calendar open up for the day I want. It goes no further out than seeing the one-way.

Any insight? Thanks!
What dates are you using? It's working great for me. You need to pick the outbound at least a week before the return otherwise, if both flights are in the AS block window, you may not see results. I usually search the (reverse) outbound 3-4 weeks prior. You cannot go beyond the end of the AS calendar regardless and there must actually be availability on the day you are searching (check with AA since their calendar window is similar to AS).

Edit: Somebody just snagged the 6/15 LAX-HND F seat, hopefully you got it.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Jul 22, 2022 at 1:06 am
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Aeroplan 35K; United Premier Silver, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Yes, you can add a segment on later by calling in. Book what you can find now.
Thanks, will do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.