Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2022, 11:48 pm

Anyone having issues trying to fetch a booking on the JAL website?

I want to choose seats on JAL. Using the JAL confirmation code provided in the AS redemption email it can't seem to find the booking. The same confirmation code shows the confirmed flight on Qatar's website.

I also wanted to update a QF frequent flyer number into the booking and tried the Finnair website to no avail - same as above posters, no booking found. In the end I found a way to update QF directly in the AS website, but on Qatar it still shows as AS'99999999999'.

Just not sure how all these systems gets connected and wish there's an easier way to select seats/update FF numbers.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 11:53 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Woohoo! Was able to snag a first class award exactly 2 weeks out. Have to fly into NRT instead of HND but for first class it's worth it. Hoping to have similar luck with my return flight. Thanks all for the great advice in this thread.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by minz56
Interesting! A couple of days ago I had a similar problem with the change tool not finding GMP, but it did accept SEL (Seoul - any airport) so I was able to find the flight to GMP I was looking for. If that hadn't worked I would have needed your solution!
​​​​​​​This is interesting, and I think one of many ways you can "modify" website parameters to do what's not usually possible.

The other one that I found recently was the ability to add non-AS frequent flyer number in the AS website. For me the only selection in the dropdown is the AS MP so I couldn't add another OW FF number. But I found that if you go into the DOM of the website for the dropdown (right click inspect element) and change the value of the element from "AS" to the airlines code of the FF number you want to enter, for example if you change it to "BA", you can now enter your Avios number. It will save and show your BA status on the booking.

Last edited by lewin85; Sep 29, 2022 at 11:56 pm Reason: quote
Old Sep 30, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
I thought someone posted about this recently but I can't seem to find the post so apologies if this is a repeat, but I just booked a JAL trip and I'm trying to figure out how to add my Alaska # to the reservation but the JAL website is only letting me attach a JAL frequent flier #... any tips? Is this one of those times where I need to use another OW airline site to manage the booking?
Old Sep 30, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam
I thought someone posted about this recently but I can't seem to find the post so apologies if this is a repeat, but I just booked a JAL trip and I'm trying to figure out how to add my Alaska # to the reservation but the JAL website is only letting me attach a JAL frequent flier #... any tips? Is this one of those times where I need to use another OW airline site to manage the booking?
If you booked a JL award using AS miles your AS # is automatically in the reservation
Old Sep 30, 2022, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by estnet
If you booked a JL award using AS miles your AS # is automatically in the reservation
Oh that's a thing now? Interesting... cause on the flight I booked (J class) it'll let me pick any of the seats in the middle of the plane but not any window seat so I figured my OWE somehow wasn't tied to it
Old Sep 30, 2022, 11:30 am

Oh that's a thing now? Interesting... cause on the flight I booked (J class) it'll let me pick any of the seats in the middle of the plane but not any window seat so I figured my OWE somehow wasn't tied to it
I had the same issue. Seems like Alaska isn't communicating the FFP# properly through to JAL (and/or Amadeus).

I had to call JAL to add my FFP# before those seats were unblocked. Beware call times are atrocious with JAL.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I had the same issue. Seems like Alaska isn't communicating the FFP# properly through to JAL (and/or Amadeus).

I had to call JAL to add my FFP# before those seats were unblocked. Beware call times are atrocious with JAL.
That's interesting - I'll have to check my reservations b/c sometimes I can select window seats and sometimes not - I haven't looked for ff#on the JL site - maybe I should.
edit -so apparently I was wrong or they changed something - the AS # wasn't entered automatically but it didn't change the seats available for me. In the past I've been able to select window seats in J and 2nd row window in F but on the itinerary I just checked it didn't change the limited J seats available - I'm confused.

Last edited by estnet; Sep 30, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Old Sep 30, 2022, 2:03 pm

That's interesting - I'll have to check my reservations b/c sometimes I can select window seats and sometimes not - I haven't looked for ff#on the JL site - maybe I should.
edit -so apparently I was wrong or they changed something - the AS # wasn't entered automatically but it didn't change the seats available for me. In the past I've been able to select window seats in J and 2nd row window in F but on the itinerary I just checked it didn't change the limited J seats available - I'm confused.
small update—so I called JAL, and sat on hold for an hour and a half only to be told those seats are reserved to be released by airport staff on day of. I explicitly mentioned emerald status multiple times but agent was insistent. I would default to HUCA but idk if I can bear it lol
estnet likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 2:14 pm

small update—so I called JAL, and sat on hold for an hour and a half only to be told those seats are reserved to be released by airport staff on day of. I explicitly mentioned emerald status multiple times but agent was insistent. I would default to HUCA but idk if I can bear it lol
IME - there are some seats that are always blocked (I'm not OWE) in F either for their own elites or for ap release - specifically row 1 - usually both window seats and sometime the middle ones as well. I've been successful at the airport a few times getting row 1 window seat. For J - depending on the plane type until now I've not usually had trouble getting window seats - it's much harder now (even for flights many months out)
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 2:27 pm

IME - there are some seats that are always blocked (I'm not OWE) in F either for their own elites or for ap release - specifically row 1 - usually both window seats and sometime the middle ones as well. I've been successful at the airport a few times getting row 1 window seat. For J - depending on the plane type until now I've not usually had trouble getting window seats - it's much harder now (even for flights many months out)
Oof in that case I'll try again later, cause when I flew JAL in F earlier this year it wouldn't let me pick any window seat until I made sure my AS # (OWE) was linked in their system then I was free to pick whatever. I just care about a window seat because its departing KIX and I want the ocean view
Old Sep 30, 2022, 5:57 pm

Oof in that case I'll try again later, cause when I flew JAL in F earlier this year it wouldn't let me pick any window seat until I made sure my AS # (OWE) was linked in their system then I was free to pick whatever. I just care about a window seat because its departing KIX and I want the ocean view
I was able to add mine pretty easily by going to the JAL site under the Manage Reservations section. After you put the reservation info in, there's an option for additional services or something like that just below the link that takes you to the seat selection tool. It let me add in any FFP number there and I can confirm when I added my OWE AS number, it did open several other seats for selection that were not previously available.

Last edited by Ian566; Sep 30, 2022 at 5:58 pm Reason: Typo
Old Sep 30, 2022, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Ian566
I was able to add mine pretty easily by going to the JAL site under the Manage Reservations section. After you put the reservation info in, there's an option for additional services or something like that just below the link that takes you to the seat selection tool. It let me add in any FFP number there and I can confirm when I added my OWE AS number, it did open several other seats for selection that were not previously available.
that’s what I did for my last flight with them but repeating the same steps the only option appearing on the list is JAL themselves. No AS, or any other OW partner
Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:58 am

ORD-HND J or F seems rather difficult to come by until the late summer 2023. Am I missing something here?
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
ORD-HND J or F seems rather difficult to come by until the late summer 2023. Am I missing something here?
Japan reopening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.