Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by estnet
I'd call and ask AS if it does auto update -if not they could resend the data perhaps?
I called today and asked. Actually got somebody from the partner desk. They said they have no way to push the update through the system to JL. She said she's submit a report, but that was all she could do. Everything looks fine on the AS side.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I've got a bit of a head scratcher conundrum. I had my passport number entered with an error within my AS profile. So when I booked a couple international partner awards, the error went along with those reservations. For the BA reservations I was able to use the AY website to make the correction. With the JL reservation, I'm not having any luck. I cannot use the AY website for JL reservations. The BA website finds the JL reservation, but it asks for my passport number as verification. Using the incorrect passport number (it was off by one digit), the system cannot verify. So I called AS to make the correction, which they did without problem. But then I went back to the BA website to verify, and it still throws an error saying the passport number doesn't match what they have on record. I'm hoping the issue is just propagation lag in the system. Does anybody know how long it'll take for the update in the AS system to propagate down to the other reservation systems (i.e., Amadeus for JL)?
Originally Posted by estnet
I'd call and ask AS if it does auto update -if not they could resend the data perhaps?
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I called today and asked. Actually got somebody from the partner desk. They said they have no way to push the update through the system to JL. She said she's submit a report, but that was all she could do. Everything looks fine on the AS side.
A similar situation happened to me with BA. I got a new passport. Updated the number in the AS system. BA never picked up the change from AS. I had to go to BA to enter the new number (after entering the old number for verification). If the the old number will not work for verification online you can either try calling BA (or JL) to have them change it or wait until the day of travel at which time the airport agents will be able to change it. Nothing AS does, short of possibly reissuing the ticket will get the passport number to propagate to BA in my experience.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 8:56 am

Finally found new F space that connected onto an intra-asia flight with J availability. 18 hours of F/J for 75K, not too bad. Not looking forward to an 80 minute layover at NRT but hey, it's a legal booking..
williwaw likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by barabuski
Finally found new F space that connected onto an intra-asia flight with J availability. 18 hours of F/J for 75K, not too bad. Not looking forward to an 80 minute layover at NRT but hey, it's a legal booking..
NRT is pretty quiet these days. We had 85 minutes and enough time for food at lounge and still felt early to next gate.

Last edited by williwaw; Jul 12, 2022 at 10:59 am
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by williwaw
NRT is pretty quiet these days. We had 85 minutes and enough time for food at lounge and still felt early to next gate.
Thanks, that puts my mind at ease. I think my bigger concern would be the outbound from the US being delayed; in the past two weeks it has been ~45 minutes late numerous times. That said, I feel pretty confident that JAL will take care of me one way or another since I'm going from F to connecting J.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Thanks, that puts my mind at ease. I think my bigger concern would be the outbound from the US being delayed; in the past two weeks it has been ~45 minutes late numerous times. That said, I feel pretty confident that JAL will take care of me one way or another since I'm going from F to connecting J.
We had the same worry - but our NRT-BKK was also running late each day. It ended up being a non-issue. Boarding was late for all our JAL flights on that trip, not by much, but enough that it made it all work. One seasoned F-traveler was brave enough to shower, eat and waltz down T-10 min on one direction of our flights. I was not so comfortable with cutting it that close.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I just had to trash a nice NRT/HND trip - couldn't get any connecting flights to anywhere I would go and still can't enter Japan so oh well ...

What I did find was excellent availability USA/SIN on SQ (J) for Feb/Mar 2023 via LAX or JFK. I could even book SIN (SQ J) JFK (AS F) SFO, but decided that I'd rather fly SIN/LAX and slum it in premium Y for an hour north (in the even that SIN/SFO doesn't open up).
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by pablos
i have experienced the same exact issue this week. there was decent availability on various routes last week and then this week it all disappeared; nothing showing available in business whatsoever for several months. i believe i read something about JAL re-categorizing some fare classes or something (sorry, i am not a true flyertalk nerd on this topic) so i'm hoping that a bunch of availability is just going to start showing up one day soon. i just keep compulsively checking every day...
wanted to bump this and say that my compulsive checking has not been fruitful. I'm trying to get a business class seat from BKK to HND/NRT in december (to tack onto an already-booked F flight to ORD) and there is nothing available on JAL, even in coach (just some wacky-expensive Malaysia Airlines awards). looking at availability between now (mid-July) and the end of the year there is a single business class seat available on JAL on Sept 16, that's it. economy availability seems extremely limited as well. previously, this route almost always had a ton of seats available in economy and business. anyway, just wondering if others have noticed this as well and might have some hypotheses as to the reason? cheers.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by pablos
wanted to bump this and say that my compulsive checking has not been fruitful. I'm trying to get a business class seat from BKK to HND/NRT in december (to tack onto an already-booked F flight to ORD) and there is nothing available on JAL, even in coach (just some wacky-expensive Malaysia Airlines awards). looking at availability between now (mid-July) and the end of the year there is a single business class seat available on JAL on Sept 16, that's it. economy availability seems extremely limited as well. previously, this route almost always had a ton of seats available in economy and business. anyway, just wondering if others have noticed this as well and might have some hypotheses as to the reason? cheers.
You mean, your compulsive checking has not been fruitful...yet. December is a long way off. Looking at the availability now I see a bunch of JL economy availability BKK-HND in October-November so maybe in a month or so they will open up Y in December? Keep checking. J availability BKK-HND is almost non-existent in that time frame but I think you have a decent shot of Y to HND to connect to your F to ORD if you keep up your compulsive checking.
williwaw and ezak like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:55 pm

There's no need to worry at the moment. Because NRT doesn't allow overnight connection and foreigner can't enter Japan at their will, JL has been holding outbound flights on the ground until connecting passengers arrive. Unless your trans-Pacific flight is ridiculously delayed, I think JL will make every effort to wait for connecting passengers. Same goes for the other way. I'd say your connection time purely depends on when the last US flight lands.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by ezak
There's no need to worry at the moment. Because NRT doesn't allow overnight connection and foreigner can't enter Japan at their will, JL has been holding outbound flights on the ground until connecting passengers arrive. Unless your trans-Pacific flight is ridiculously delayed, I think JL will make every effort to wait for connecting passengers. Same goes for the other way. I'd say your connection time purely depends on when the last US flight lands.
Thanks for that intel, I didn't realize NRT wasn't allowing overnight connections (makes sense, I guess). I do wonder what would happen if the outbound was delayed, say, 5 hours or something. Maybe they'd just cancel it at that point. Seems like I should be good.. provided I don't get aircraft swapped on the F leg!
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:34 pm

Thanks for that intel, I didn't realize NRT wasn't allowing overnight connections (makes sense, I guess). I do wonder what would happen if the outbound was delayed, say, 5 hours or something. Maybe they'd just cancel it at that point. Seems like I should be good.. provided I don't get aircraft swapped on the F leg!
I'd guess they'll just delay the flight into the next day, so that passengers don't have to overnight in Japan. I'm sure they have protocols to do that, like if a BKK bound flight gets cancelled at the last minute and strand some passengers, but looks like JL is avoiding this situation at all costs.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
From an oldie - NRT always closed overnight. Before covid there were options UNLESS your outbound was cancelled late. Years ago I was in transit at NRT and my continuation kept being delayed and then cancelled. We weren't allowed to stay in the ap overnight and all the customs/immigration agents had left. They actually called in staff to check us through immigration! Very effective and handled very well by the airport - of course this was precovid
Old Jul 17, 2022, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You mean, your compulsive checking has not been fruitful...yet. December is a long way off. Looking at the availability now I see a bunch of JL economy availability BKK-HND in October-November so maybe in a month or so they will open up Y in December? Keep checking. J availability BKK-HND is almost non-existent in that time frame but I think you have a decent shot of Y to HND to connect to your F to ORD if you keep up your compulsive checking.
thanks, yeah i already have a coach flight that i booked several months ago when there was pretty wide open availability even in business, just annoyingly not on the exact day i needed to link up to my F flight so i grabbed the coach seat instead. then, one day a couple months ago, poof -- it all went away, both coach and business availability. my surprise is the paucity of business class seats available between now and the end of the year (now there are two or three flights in october showing and that's it until january). i've flown this route to the states for the holidays every year for the past 5-6 years and have never experienced an issue finding a BKK-NRT/HND business seat in early december (there usually is nothing at all during the last two weeks of the month). anywho, we'll see what happens with my continued compulsive checking. cheers.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 9:16 am

Am seeing JL F availability near end of schedule on BA, CX, and AA but do not see it available on AS. Talking to help desk but they were no help. Tried suggested workaround and booked an alternate date but wasn't able to switch to preferred date. Rep said to wait a few days. What are my options here? Should I just suck it up and book with CX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.