Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by maverikbc
Tried it today, no problem with mine.

Not a big deal, but my meal selection intra Asia isn't sticking: let me select it, but not showing what I selected.
Thanks for the report. Definitely still isn't working for me, so probably need to call JAL... but can't say that's something that sounds like a lot of fun, so maybe closer to departure..
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by barabuski
Anyone having difficulty getitng the manage booking component of JAL's website to work? I have a few bookings (finally got F...) but none of them will load on the JAL website. And yes - triple checked date / name / using JAL record locator. Would love to select a seat for the F flight.
I had issues until I just used the TPAC flight number and details.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by williwaw
I had issues until I just used the TPAC flight number and details.
For whatever reason, I just tried it on my phone and it worked that way. Now I just need some room to open up on a connecting flight, or for NRT/HND connections to become a thing..
williwaw likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Flying SFO-NRT-BKK on July 6 in J. Just noticed that F has open space on SFO-NRT (but NRT-BKK is completely booked). Is it possible for AS to change the ticket from J to F for the first leg for an extra 10k? A little hesitant to touch the reservation at all because the NRT-BKK leg already got booked in a different fare bucket (D instead of U) due to a schedule change.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:44 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by milypan
Flying SFO-NRT-BKK on July 6 in J. Just noticed that F has open space on SFO-NRT (but NRT-BKK is completely booked). Is it possible for AS to change the ticket from J to F for the first leg for an extra 10k? A little hesitant to touch the reservation at all because the NRT-BKK leg already got booked in a different fare bucket (D instead of U) due to a schedule change.
by changing the reservation, you don’t have to complete it if it does not work.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: UA, AS
Yes, it is possible. You can probably even change it online. Select to change SFO-NRT but keep NRT-BKK.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've got a bit of a head scratcher conundrum. I had my passport number entered with an error within my AS profile. So when I booked a couple international partner awards, the error went along with those reservations. For the BA reservations I was able to use the AY website to make the correction. With the JL reservation, I'm not having any luck. I cannot use the AY website for JL reservations. The BA website finds the JL reservation, but it asks for my passport number as verification. Using the incorrect passport number (it was off by one digit), the system cannot verify. So I called AS to make the correction, which they did without problem. But then I went back to the BA website to verify, and it still throws an error saying the passport number doesn't match what they have on record. I'm hoping the issue is just propagation lag in the system. Does anybody know how long it'll take for the update in the AS system to propagate down to the other reservation systems (i.e., Amadeus for JL)?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by freed0m
by changing the reservation, you don’t have to complete it if it does not work.
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Yes, it is possible. You can probably even change it online. Select to change SFO-NRT but keep NRT-BKK.
Thanks for the responses. Online it says I must call in to make changes for the reservation in question. When I called AS, the agent informed me that she couldn't change it because there isn't availability on the NRT-BKK leg, and she'd need to change the entire reservation to charge me only 10k extra miles. I didn't pursue it further at that point.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I've got a bit of a head scratcher conundrum. I had my passport number entered with an error within my AS profile. So when I booked a couple international partner awards, the error went along with those reservations. For the BA reservations I was able to use the AY website to make the correction. With the JL reservation, I'm not having any luck. I cannot use the AY website for JL reservations. The BA website finds the JL reservation, but it asks for my passport number as verification. Using the incorrect passport number (it was off by one digit), the system cannot verify. So I called AS to make the correction, which they did without problem. But then I went back to the BA website to verify, and it still throws an error saying the passport number doesn't match what they have on record. I'm hoping the issue is just propagation lag in the system. Does anybody know how long it'll take for the update in the AS system to propagate down to the other reservation systems (i.e., Amadeus for JL)?
I'd call and ask AS if it does auto update -if not they could resend the data perhaps?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
Just curious - why is it necessary to correct the passport number beforehand? I've had situations when I used an old passport number at booking, and then renewed my passport. At check-in the agent never had any problem updating the reservation with a new passport number. I imagine this should happen on a daily basis and whether it's a wrong or outdated number shouldn't matter.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ezak
Just curious - why is it necessary to correct the passport number beforehand? I've had situations when I used an old passport number at booking, and then renewed my passport. At check-in the agent never had any problem updating the reservation with a new passport number. I imagine this should happen on a daily basis and whether it's a wrong or outdated number shouldn't matter.
Well, that's what I would normally do as well. However, the reservation transferred to JL without my AS number attached. I think this is limiting my ability to select preferred seats on some of the flights. So I'm trying to get it added to the reservation, which appears to be possible only on the BA website. The BA website requires you to enter your passport number as validation you are the person who owns the reservation. So, without the ability to verify the passport number stored in the reservation I am unable to edit any of the passenger information.

I had a similar problem with a BA reservation, as I noted, but was able to do the correction on the AY website. For some reason when the BA system gets the reservation from AS it includes the AS FF# but the system doesn't actually understand it. I don't know exactly why, but once I was able to get into the passenger data I re-entered my AS FF# and was able to select seats without paying. So, it seems to me that when AS sends reservations over to partner airlines (maybe the ones using Amadeus), some of the passenger data doesn't successfully transfer. Just my theory on what's going on, and an unproven one at that.
ezak likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:51 pm

Thanks for the responses. Online it says I must call in to make changes for the reservation in question. When I called AS, the agent informed me that she couldn't change it because there isn't availability on the NRT-BKK leg, and she'd need to change the entire reservation to charge me only 10k extra miles. I didn't pursue it further at that point.
Wrong. HUCA. Call the partner desk number.
williwaw likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Wrong. HUCA. Call the partner desk number.
Does calling the partner desk number guarantees that you'll connect to an agent there? It's always the same wait/hold message, so I always thought it just goes to the usual reservation line.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 12:42 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Does calling the partner desk number guarantees that you'll connect to an agent there? It's always the same wait/hold message, so I always thought it just goes to the usual reservation line.
I did this last month. I just called and was upfront that I had a partner change that required some work. First agent was unable to get it right. Called back and second one connected with the right partner team and changed my LAX-NRT to F. NRT-BKK stayed J.
ezak likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:43 am

There are no guarantees, but if you call during normal business hours the chances are better. I would start out by mentioning you need to make (or change) an International Partner Award with (insert name of your partner airline), that way if they are not comfortable with it they can transfer you to a more qualified agent.
williwaw and ezak like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.