Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2022, 7:03 pm

As a follow-up it took a few tries but I was able to get an agent to manually piece it together
mixmastermark likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist
rebooking options?

Hi,
I had 3 HND-SFO tickets in J booked for Mon 8/1 but it seems the schedule has changed to only T, TH, SA. Will AS open something up for Tuesday or cancel the ticket (nothing shows available for the entire month on the AS website). Should I wait to see if the schedule is restored?
Old May 23, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by abcflyer
Hi,
I had 3 HND-SFO tickets in J booked for Mon 8/1 but it seems the schedule has changed to only T, TH, SA. Will AS open something up for Tuesday or cancel the ticket (nothing shows available for the entire month on the AS website). Should I wait to see if the schedule is restored?
I'm booked on the same flight (HND-SFO) in late August, but through AA and received a schedule change notification on Friday about this. Although I need to call in AA to confirm, it appears that they automatically rebooked me on the NRT-SFO flight since HND-SFO is not operating daily.

One curious thing is that the HND-SFO flight (pre-pandemic) was always operated with the larger 777, but it seems like JAL has downgauged it to the 787. The SFO-NRT flight will be on 777s effective June 1st. I think they are still using 787s for both HND and NRT flights, so we'll see if they do actually start using the larger 777s starting next month.

It's possible they can reinstate the schedule, but I doubt it at this stage since JAL is well aware of all the Japan reopening news and probably has more information than the general public does.
Old May 23, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by jch636
I'm booked on the same flight (HND-SFO) in late August, but through AA and received a schedule change notification on Friday about this. Although I need to call in AA to confirm, it appears that they automatically rebooked me on the NRT-SFO flight since HND-SFO is not operating daily.

One curious thing is that the HND-SFO flight (pre-pandemic) was always operated with the larger 777, but it seems like JAL has downgauged it to the 787. The SFO-NRT flight will be on 777s effective June 1st. I think they are still using 787s for both HND and NRT flights, so we'll see if they do actually start using the larger 777s starting next month.

It's possible they can reinstate the schedule, but I doubt it at this stage since JAL is well aware of all the Japan reopening news and probably has more information than the general public does.
Are you originating in Japan? I hope they are taking care of people transiting who (as of now) could not leave from hnd if their flight arrives at nrt
Old May 24, 2022, 12:06 pm

I am transiting - originally it was a GMP-HND-SFO. I will be calling today to see what my options are.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by abcflyer
I am transiting - originally it was a GMP-HND-SFO. I will be calling today to see what my options are.
Same here, although I booked my GMP-HND flight on a separate ticket through BA, so I know I'm not protected and will need to make my own arrangements
Old May 24, 2022, 12:46 pm

I had an F flight from SFO to HND, but got a schedule change notification that those planes only have Business now. I notice that the SFO NRT flights now have F available. I asked AS to look into changing me over to those, but they said there's no award availability so they can't. Kind of annoying to me but I understand this is a situation where there's not a lot to be done beside continue to look for F availability closer to departure.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:18 pm

Update: They had automatically moved me to the NRT-SFO flight on 8/1 but when I called AS and mentioned that you can't currently transit airports due to COVID restrictions, they were able to move my whole itinerary to 8/4 so I have GMP-HND-SFO booked.
jch636 - good luck, hopefully Japan opens up and then you can transit airports again.
kalderlake likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 4:06 am

Quoted wrong message.

Last edited by spunkyt83; May 25, 2022 at 9:04 am
Old May 25, 2022, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by snoptro
I've been following this thread for a while, esp regarding mixed J/F cabin award (e.g., add a J segment to an existing F award). Most responses here have suggested calling in. I'm here to offer a new data point.

Like many others in this thread, I have an existing TYO-USA in F (70k), and want to add an SE Asia-TYO segment in J, which should only cost me 5k more.

I tried calling but the wait time was atrocious, so I decided to chat instead. Wait time was around 30 minutes. The chat agent seemed knowledgeable and helpful. He said it could definitely be done, but since chat agents aren't able to handle payments, I'd have to either call in or make the change online myself.

Wait, what?

I asked if he could walk me through, and he gladly obliged: Sign in to your AS account, go into "Trips," pull up the reservation in question, and hit "Change." Then comes the nerve-racking part: Hit "Cancel this trip and use value toward a new trip." I expressed my concern but he assured me that doing so wouldn't relinquish my current F award seat. I hesitated for a minute, but decided to have a leap of faith. Next, select "Multi-city" and enter both segments and dates. Select "First/Business" cabin option. Then "Continue."

The rest...was magical. My original F seat was still there, with an added J segment now added to it, and an extra 5k miles now required. Same record locator. Proceed to pay the extra miles and fees and you're golden.

Just tried this and went all the way to the payment page. Once I hit submit, got the dreaded Red error message to contact them 😢.
Old May 25, 2022, 11:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by spunkyt83
Just tried this and went all the way to the payment page. Once I hit submit, got the dreaded Red error message to contact them 😢.
I get the same error message. I realize that when I add the TYO-Asia segment, the US-TYO disappear on my flight summary (it shows only one segment TYO-Asia on the payment page). Thus, we get the error because AS try to charge 65k miles for the TYO-Asia seg. If I change the airport from HND to NRT, the US-NRT appears normally in my flight summary (showing 2 seg on the payment page). Maybe it is a system glitch on consumer side.

Call Reservation Line; agent pick up in like 1 minute. The agent is also happened to be a Partner Award Desk one. She adds the TYO-Asia seg to my US-TYO with no issue. Everything is resolved in less than 5 minutes.
kalderlake likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 12:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Thichbay
I get the same error message. I realize that when I add the TYO-Asia segment, the US-TYO disappear on my flight summary (it shows only one segment TYO-Asia on the payment page). Thus, we get the error because AS try to charge 65k miles for the TYO-Asia seg. If I change the airport from HND to NRT, the US-NRT appears normally in my flight summary (showing 2 seg on the payment page). Maybe it is a system glitch on consumer side.

Call Reservation Line; agent pick up in like 1 minute. The agent is also happened to be a Partner Award Desk one. She adds the TYO-Asia seg to my US-TYO with no issue. Everything is resolved in less than 5 minutes.
Are you searching for TYO-Asia or seaching from HND & NRT independently? Using TYO-Asia will search all TYO airports so it seaches both HND & NRT at the same time. It is just like PAR will search both CDG & ORY, SEL will search ICN & GMP and NYC will search LGA, JFK & EWR. IB flies to ORY but not CDG & JL flies to GMP but not ICN.

James
Old May 26, 2022, 1:39 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
I had a J/ F combo that I wanted to change, when I hit change button, it told me right away to call. (1)

I think the searches on alaska.com used to show flights when we search Asia (other than TYO) to North America or vice a versa, but now I've noticed we need to search to TYO and from TYO separately to see flights, or the website says flights unavailable. (2)

I called the partner desk number yesterday morning, I was pleasantly surprised I was answered right away, just like past months, despite horrific stories from a few weeks ago.

The rep initially couldn't see flights when I just told her origin and destination as usual (3), but after I spoonfed her each flight, she was able to piece together, and was able to change to another F/J combo. Most reps in the past declined to get spoonfed, so I started telling them origin and destination, they could find flights I wanted.

So with my 3 observations, something has happened to their system, hopefully it's just temporary.

Edit: re (2), when I search BKK to YVR in January, it returns results, so maybe this glitch is limited to this month and June (or possibly more).
estnet likes this.

Last edited by maverikbc; May 26, 2022 at 1:52 am
Old May 26, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Are you searching for TYO-Asia or seaching from HND & NRT independently? Using TYO-Asia will search all TYO airports so it seaches both HND & NRT at the same time. It is just like PAR will search both CDG & ORY, SEL will search ICN & GMP and NYC will search LGA, JFK & EWR. IB flies to ORY but not CDG & JL flies to GMP but not ICN.

James
Now if only they could make this work for Osaka. You still need to search KIX and ITM separately.
estnet likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 10:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
I dont think searching TYO or HND/NRT has anything to do with this. I was trying to book US-HND-Asia. It is searchable on AS but I got error msg at payment. After confirming available space on BA website (for both segments), I booked US-HND 1st (no issue), but then I got above error msg when trying to add HND-Asia segment.
About a month ago, I was able to book US-HND (in F) then add HND-Asia (in J) 5 minutes later with no issue. Interestingly that US-HND-Asia (F/J) was not even searchable on AS website
Flying for Fun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.