Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:44 pm

Hi -

You have to find space either in E or T. The tricky thing is AS Saver space tends to open up early and go away once the lower fare buckets start to fill up. And therein lies the rub: if you book F/J 330+ days out, the connector space is available. If you book F/J close in (when airlines will sometimes release some unsold seats), you will be stuck buying a fare to get you to the gateway city. And since that will be close in, it could be expensive.
williwaw likes this.

Last edited by Orwaid; Jun 21, 2022 at 4:18 am
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by loganre17
Booked my first F+J ticket on JL for a couple weeks from now. First time in JL F, too.

I'm originating from YVR and need to get to SFO. What are the rules with getting to SFO on an AS connector? Understand it has to be saver lever, but how can I differentiate that from regular? Is it just the F seats for 40K (as opposed to 60K)?
AS awards are distance based and grouped into 4 bands. They are "Hop," (<700 miles) "Skip," (701-1400 miles) "Jump" (1401-2100 miles) and "Leap." (>=2101 miles) Graphic at the bottom.

Within each band, Main & First have a range of miles required for that redemption. The lowest of the range is Saver & the highest of the range is refundable, increments between the two are dynamic awards loosely tied to the fare in the underlying fare class the award books into.

For YVR-SEA-SFO is ~800 miles. That falls in the "Skip" band. The range of redemptions for Main cabin awards is 7,500-30,000. 7,500 is a Saver award and books into fare class T. 30,000 is a fully-refundable (kind of moot now, all awards can be cancelled without fee) and books into fare class Y. It is also a fare eligible for immediate upgrade into F if U space is available. For First class award redemptions, the range is 25,000-60,000. 25,000 is a Saver award and books into fare class E. Higher First Class award redemptions (dynamic) book into the same fare class buckets as revenue.

Only Saver Main (T) & Saver First (E) can be combined with partner awards so for YVR-SEA-SFO, you need to find awards at the 7,500 mile or 25,000 mile level.

If you find availability a day or two before your SFO-TYO-XXX, that can also be combined with the award creating a stopover in SFO. Something to consider since, for the most part, stopovers aren't possible in Japan right now. I always prefer to travel to the gateway city the day before a partner long-haul international flight.

If you can't find Saver availability, you will have to find your own way to SFO. That could be a revenue ticket or another award on AS. YVR-SEA will likely be the choke point. Saver awards on that segment are very difficult to find, especially that Covid-19 testing is no longer required in either direction.

From YVR, I wouldn't rule out looking from BLI, PAE & SEA. Driving cross-border will save a lot of fees & taxes when you take the international component out of it. Also, keep in mind that once you reach SEA, the flight to SFO (678 miles) will fall into the "HOP" band so follow the ranges therein for giudance.

Enjoy your JL F&J flights. The service should be exemplary; it has always been very consistent on my flights. The Asian meals are amazing. I would however, suggest a thin T-shirt for sleeping. JL does keep the cabin very warm. Save the PJs for a cool dreary YVR day.

I would also call AS and ask them to check for you from the suggested cities. Their query is pretty quick and may offer other routings less direct. There are a few anomalies, or maybe specials, from time to time also. I have seen some summer Saver space from the Islands at 10K miles. Those are "Leap" awards and should price at 15K. I have also flown PHX-SEA-MSY on a 7,500 mile redemption.

James
loganre17 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
AS awards are distance based and grouped into 4 bands. They are "Hop," (<700 miles) "Skip," (701-1400 miles) "Jump" (1401-2100 miles) and "Leap." (>=2101 miles) Graphic at the bottom.

Within each band, Main & First have a range of miles required for that redemption. The lowest of the range is Saver & the highest of the range is refundable, increments between the two are dynamic awards loosely tied to the fare in the underlying fare class the award books into.

For YVR-SEA-SFO is ~800 miles. That falls in the "Skip" band. The range of redemptions for Main cabin awards is 7,500-30,000. 7,500 is a Saver award and books into fare class T. 30,000 is a fully-refundable (kind of moot now, all awards can be cancelled without fee) and books into fare class Y. It is also a fare eligible for immediate upgrade into F if U space is available. For First class award redemptions, the range is 25,000-60,000. 25,000 is a Saver award and books into fare class E. Higher First Class award redemptions (dynamic) book into the same fare class buckets as revenue.

Only Saver Main (T) & Saver First (E) can be combined with partner awards so for YVR-SEA-SFO, you need to find awards at the 7,500 mile or 25,000 mile level.

If you find availability a day or two before your SFO-TYO-XXX, that can also be combined with the award creating a stopover in SFO. Something to consider since, for the most part, stopovers aren't possible in Japan right now. I always prefer to travel to the gateway city the day before a partner long-haul international flight.

If you can't find Saver availability, you will have to find your own way to SFO. That could be a revenue ticket or another award on AS. YVR-SEA will likely be the choke point. Saver awards on that segment are very difficult to find, especially that Covid-19 testing is no longer required in either direction.

From YVR, I wouldn't rule out looking from BLI, PAE & SEA. Driving cross-border will save a lot of fees & taxes when you take the international component out of it. Also, keep in mind that once you reach SEA, the flight to SFO (678 miles) will fall into the "HOP" band so follow the ranges therein for giudance.

Enjoy your JL F&J flights. The service should be exemplary; it has always been very consistent on my flights. The Asian meals are amazing. I would however, suggest a thin T-shirt for sleeping. JL does keep the cabin very warm. Save the PJs for a cool dreary YVR day.

I would also call AS and ask them to check for you from the suggested cities. Their query is pretty quick and may offer other routings less direct. There are a few anomalies, or maybe specials, from time to time also. I have seen some summer Saver space from the Islands at 10K miles. Those are "Leap" awards and should price at 15K. I have also flown PHX-SEA-MSY on a 7,500 mile redemption.

James
This is amazing, thanks a ton for this! Unfortunately, seeing nothing, even a couple days before. Figured so.

If I were to do a stopover in TYO (let's assume Japan is open), how long could my layover be in the gateway city (SFO)? Is it 12 or 24 hours?

Thanks a lot!
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
This is amazing, thanks a ton for this! Unfortunately, seeing nothing, even a couple days before. Figured so.

If I were to do a stopover in TYO (let's assume Japan is open), how long could my layover be in the gateway city (SFO)? Is it 12 or 24 hours?

Thanks a lot!
As long as you depart within 24 hours, you are good to go. Beyond 24 hours, you are on a stopover.

The stopover benefit is an amazing feature of Mileage Plan redemptions. While most will appreciate it for an opportunity to visit the gateway city, the stopover can be any length within the ticket validity; 5 days, 5 weeks, 5 months or more. That flexibility allows for nested awards, or revenue flights to visit other countries during the stopover.

James
NoLaGent and loganre17 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
As long as you depart within 24 hours, you are good to go. Beyond 24 hours, you are on a stopover.

The stopover benefit is an amazing feature of Mileage Plan redemptions. While most will appreciate it for an opportunity to visit the gateway city, the stopover can be any length within the ticket validity; 5 days, 5 weeks, 5 months or more. That flexibility allows for nested awards, or revenue flights to visit other countries during the stopover.

James
I couldn’t agree more, especially in regards to nesting awards.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Booked my first F+J ticket on JL for a couple weeks from now. First time in JL F, too.

I'm originating from YVR and need to get to SFO. What are the rules with getting to SFO on an AS connector? Understand it has to be saver lever, but how can I differentiate that from regular? Is it just the F seats for 40K (as opposed to 60K)?
I usually just check a partner website like AA to see if they show AS saver flights. Then you don't have to worry about the complicated AS miles pricing to determine what is saver.
loganre17 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:21 pm

I just booked SNA-SFO-SGN on one ticket where SNA is on Y with Alaska Air and SFO-SGN is on J with Japan Air. Does anyone know if I get the international business class baggage allowance when I start out my flight at SNA on Y? Or I'm pretty much SOL and get domestic Y allowance? TIA!
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by asiantraveler
I just booked SNA-SFO-SGN on one ticket where SNA is on Y with Alaska Air and SFO-SGN is on J with Japan Air. Does anyone know if I get the international business class baggage allowance when I start out my flight at SNA on Y? Or I'm pretty much SOL and get domestic Y allowance? TIA!
You should get international J allowance.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I couldn’t agree more, especially in regards to nesting awards.
Until covid rears its head and throws everything into chaos. Think I lost out on something- or a few...

Congrats on JL F. I was able to get a few seats to/from TYO for next year too. Hope I can go, and we can get into Japan!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Is there something funny with EOS AS JAL awards? There’s plenty of space on BA but when you put in the dates on AS it’s erroring out. It seems funny because on the weekly view the days before and after show the 35k+ meaning AS is seeing at least Econ space but when you click on the date it’s completely full.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:34 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Is there something funny with EOS AS JAL awards? There’s plenty of space on BA but when you put in the dates on AS it’s erroring out. It seems funny because on the weekly view the days before and after show the 35k+ meaning AS is seeing at least Econ space but when you click on the date it’s completely full.
known problem. The last week is difficult to book.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by freed0m
known problem. The last week is difficult to book.
It probably would be more helpful if you also mentioned a possible workaround.

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Posters here claim that a workaround (if there is award space available as confirmed by other partner programs) is to initially book another date that AS shows with award availability (since the date you need is not showing at the end of the calendar on AS you book another date that is available), I would suggest in the same class of service so the miles stay the same, after the booking is ticketed you retrieve your booking on the AS website and use Alaska's online change flight tool to select the day you really want. What previous posters have said is that the change flight tool is not broken like the basic search is and you will be able to rebook to a day at the end of schedule so long as award space really is available on that day.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:42 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
It probably would be more helpful if you also mentioned a possible workaround.

Posters here claim that a workaround (if there is award space available as confirmed by other partner programs) is to initially book another date that AS shows with award availability (since the date you need is not showing at the end of the calendar on AS you book another date that is available), I would suggest in the same class of service so the miles stay the same, after the booking is ticketed you retrieve your booking on the AS website and use Alaska's online change flight tool to select the day you really want. What previous posters have said is that the change flight tool is not broken like the basic search is and you will be able to rebook to a day at the end of schedule so long as award space really is available on that day.
power to you. Sorry that I can’t type so much on my phone.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:51 pm

Anyone having difficulty getitng the manage booking component of JAL's website to work? I have a few bookings (finally got F...) but none of them will load on the JAL website. And yes - triple checked date / name / using JAL record locator. Would love to select a seat for the F flight.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:22 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Originally Posted by barabuski
Anyone having difficulty getitng the manage booking component of JAL's website to work? I have a few bookings (finally got F...) but none of them will load on the JAL website. And yes - triple checked date / name / using JAL record locator. Would love to select a seat for the F flight.
Tried it today, no problem with mine.

Not a big deal, but my meal selection intra Asia isn't sticking: let me select it, but not showing what I selected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.