Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2022 | 7:36 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Currently I have booked BKK-HND-ORD in J and plan to upgrade the HND-ORD segment to F once space opens up T-14. Will I be able to do this online via the change booking tool or I need to call in?
Old Sep 26, 2022 | 11:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by najama2
Currently I have booked BKK-HND-ORD in J and plan to upgrade the HND-ORD segment to F once space opens up T-14. Will I be able to do this online via the change booking tool or I need to call in?
In the last month or so, the online tool hasn't been able to show the F seats when Jal release them at T-14. I had to call in both time.
Old Sep 26, 2022 | 2:10 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Thichbay
In the last month or so, the online tool hasn't been able to show the F seats when Jal release them at T-14. I had to call in both time.
New to JAL award bookings - does this mean if you get an award in economy using AS miles you can call the partner desk at T-14 to see if you can change to an F award?
Old Sep 26, 2022 | 2:30 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by ssk244
New to JAL award bookings - does this mean if you get an award in economy using AS miles you can call the partner desk at T-14 to see if you can change to an F award?
If the main online search (not change tool search, since folks say that doesn't work for F) shows F award availability then you can switch to it.
ssk244 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022 | 4:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ssk244
If you already book a Y seat, the online "Change Reservation " tool should show F seats. However, I have never tried it since all of my bookings was from J to F
ssk244 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022 | 10:09 pm
5 Years on Site

Thanks! I'm really hoping J or F space open up closer to the dates I'm flying.
Old Sep 27, 2022 | 6:05 pm
5 Years on Site

I've searched over a period of months, twice, and both times F availability came and went, frequently.

So keep watching the skys.

Managed to change a SIN-HND-JFK Y-F booking to J-F, the first leg a day earlier, over the phone. No problems.

Thanks again to all the great advisers on the thread.

cheers

asdf
Old Sep 28, 2022 | 5:16 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by kalderlake
I've searched over a period of months, twice, and both times F availability came and went, frequently.

So keep watching the skys.

Managed to change a SIN-HND-JFK Y-F booking to J-F, the first leg a day earlier, over the phone. No problems.

Thanks again to all the great advisers on the thread.

cheers

asdf
When is your SIN-HND booking for? I've been watching intra-asia space like a hawk and they never seem to release any last minute J anymore .
Old Sep 28, 2022 | 1:00 pm

I'm flying from NRT to BKK in J. Then I'm returning from SIN to GMP (Seoul) via HND in mix of Biz/Econ. All three flights are on JAL metal.
I called Alaska and asked to create stopover itinerary: NRT-BKK-stopover-SIN-GMP.
Agent said that the stopover for JAL can only be in Japan.
Is it correct?
Old Sep 28, 2022 | 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited20 Nights500k15 Years on Site

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by danukraine
I'm flying from NRT to BKK in J. Then I'm returning from SIN to GMP (Seoul) via HND in mix of Biz/Econ. All three flights are on JAL metal.
I called Alaska and asked to create stopover itinerary: NRT-BKK-stopover-SIN-GMP.
Agent said that the stopover for JAL can only be in Japan.
Is it correct?
That's not a stopover to start with, that's a double open jaw on a round trip. If you've managed to book NRT-BKK//SIN-HND-GMP as a one-way award I wouldn't exactly go calling attention to it by calling AS. They might realize they screwed up and charge you the true round trip price.

That itinerary should be 100% bookable as a round trip award, since it's just two one way trips, NRT-BKK and SIN-HND-GMP. No stopover required because JAL doesn't fly BKK-SIN anyway.

Also, please read the wiki at the top of the page:

As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Sep 28, 2022 at 1:26 pm
Old Sep 28, 2022 | 2:05 pm
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by estnet
I get a "no booking found" when trying this
I got the same. How do you use the Finn Air site to add your AS # to a JAL booking?
Old Sep 28, 2022 | 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That's not a stopover to start with, that's a double open jaw on a round trip. If you've managed to book NRT-BKK//SIN-HND-GMP as a one-way award I wouldn't exactly go calling attention to it by calling AS. They might realize they screwed up and charge you the true round trip price.

That itinerary should be 100% bookable as a round trip award, since it's just two one way trips, NRT-BKK and SIN-HND-GMP. No stopover required because JAL doesn't fly BKK-SIN anyway.

Also, please read the wiki at the top of the page:
Thank you for the very helpful explanation. These are two separate one way reservations. I just thought it is possible to combine them into one one-way trip (and save on mileage). Apparently I didn't know the basics of stopovers, open-jaws, etc

One more question:
- the SIN-GMP reservation has 11hrs layover in HND (married segments). If necessary, can I convert that layover into stopover and move the flight to GMP three months later from the original flight date?
Old Sep 28, 2022 | 3:54 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by danukraine
Thank you for the very helpful explanation. These are two separate one way reservations. I just thought it is possible to combine them into one one-way trip (and save on mileage). Apparently I didn't know the basics of stopovers, open-jaws, etc

One more question:
- the SIN-GMP reservation has 11hrs layover in HND (married segments). If necessary, can I convert that layover into stopover and move the flight to GMP three months later from the original flight date?
No, since stopovers are not permitted on Intra-Asia awards.

James
Old Sep 29, 2022 | 12:26 am

I have an interesting data point.

I was attempting to book HAN --> NRT in J followed by an HND --> ORD flight in F a few days later. Both had award availability. Due to the bug that has been described several times in this thread, I was not able to book them together. I took a leap of faith and went the change tool route. I booked the HND --> ORD flight in F sucessfully and then opened up the change tool to try and add HAN -> NRT. Cool story....under the multiple city options, for some reason HAN doesn't show up as valid airport (no airports in Vietnam do). I tested several others and they all appeared to be there (BKK, MNL, DPS, etc). As the system couldn't find HAN, it wouldn't let me proceed any further and gave me an error message about an invalid airport.

I was playing around with some other options and decided to search for MNL --> NRT flights. Of course, those all showed up just fine. I noticed on the following page that "Manila" was encoded into the URL at the top. I said what the heck and I tried modifying some of the URL parameters, specifically, the airport code, country name, and airport name. I hit enter thinking it would never work and BOOOOOM! The flight to from HAN --> NRT showed right up on the next page with the J and I was able to book successfully and add that segment to my flight.

I hope this helps others that may be using the change tool with Vietnam airports (or any other airports that aren't showing properly in the city selection tool).

Old Sep 29, 2022 | 4:17 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Ian566
I have an interesting data point.

I was attempting to book HAN --> NRT in J followed by an HND --> ORD flight in F a few days later. Both had award availability. Due to the bug that has been described several times in this thread, I was not able to book them together. I took a leap of faith and went the change tool route. I booked the HND --> ORD flight in F sucessfully and then opened up the change tool to try and add HAN -> NRT. Cool story....under the multiple city options, for some reason HAN doesn't show up as valid airport (no airports in Vietnam do). I tested several others and they all appeared to be there (BKK, MNL, DPS, etc). As the system couldn't find HAN, it wouldn't let me proceed any further and gave me an error message about an invalid airport.

I was playing around with some other options and decided to search for MNL --> NRT flights. Of course, those all showed up just fine. I noticed on the following page that "Manila" was encoded into the URL at the top. I said what the heck and I tried modifying some of the URL parameters, specifically, the airport code, country name, and airport name. I hit enter thinking it would never work and BOOOOOM! The flight to from HAN --> NRT showed right up on the next page with the J and I was able to book successfully and add that segment to my flight.

I hope this helps others that may be using the change tool with Vietnam airports (or any other airports that aren't showing properly in the city selection tool).

Interesting! A couple of days ago I had a similar problem with the change tool not finding GMP, but it did accept SEL (Seoul - any airport) so I was able to find the flight to GMP I was looking for. If that hadn't worked I would have needed your solution!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.