Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old May 31, 2020, 8:40 am

Just a follow-up on the above. I've been following the award calendar in recent days and it appears AS doesn't make JL F award bookings available until 301 days out. This despite releasing business class awards on their normal schedule. Disappointing, but at least there appears to be some sort of logic behind it. Maybe someone with more knowledge of how things work can speak to it?
Old May 31, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Big Meech
Just a follow-up on the above. I've been following the award calendar in recent days and it appears AS doesn't make JL F award bookings available until 301 days out. This despite releasing business class awards on their normal schedule. Disappointing, but at least there appears to be some sort of logic behind it. Maybe someone with more knowledge of how things work can speak to it?
It is clear from your research that this is a planned change by AS. The only question is, will it stay this way? Since AS went to the trouble to change it the change is likely the new normal and I would not expect it to change anytime soon. If you are hoping for a spokesperson from AS to admit the stealth devaluation you will probably have a long wait.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
The previous thread had some comments on married segments. Where's that at today? Does JL enforce married segments on AS awards? If so, does that eliminate the option to add a Japan stopover?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by danger
The previous thread had some comments on married segments. Where's that at today? Does JL enforce married segments on AS awards? If so, does that eliminate the option to add a Japan stopover?
The 2019 and earlier thread? Easily found with search:
Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Your questions should be answered in there.

If you have flights from Japan-USA or USA-Japan you can still add a stopover (> 24 hours) in and out through JP gateways. Adding is different from breaking a married segment. Adding a flight to create a valid stopover is no big deal (where a stopover is > 24 hours in Japan) so long as there is award availability for the new flight. You cannot break a married segment before booking. After booking it may be possible depending on the phase of the moon.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

If you have flights from Japan-USA or USA-Japan you can still add a stopover (> 24 hours) in and out through JP gateways. Adding is different from breaking a married segment. Adding a flight to create a valid stopover is no big deal (where a stopover is > 24 hours in Japan) so long as there is award availability for the new flight. You cannot break a married segment before booking. After booking it may be possible depending on the phase of the moon.
The moon phase has been favourable & the bluest of the blue moons have born a bounty from the start. Not all marriages result in divorce but many do; from society to segments.

James
Old Jun 4, 2020, 8:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks for that. Poor choice of words on my part. When I said "Where's that at today?" I was referring to the situation with married segments today, not the thread itself.

I can see JL flights from ORD-HND in F and then NRT-KUL in J, with a transit only in TOK, but the award doesn't seem to be available on the ticket. That is to say, If I search ORD-KUL (on the QF website), the flights aren't an option. The flights only show if I do the two searches separately. Is AS likely to be able to book them as one award? Or doesn't it matter, such that I could book ORD-HND one day for 70K, then phone back the next day and add NRT-KUL for no additional points?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 8:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Thanks for that. Poor choice of words on my part. When I said "Where's that at today?" I was referring to the situation with married segments today, not the thread itself.

I can see JL flights from ORD-HND in F and then NRT-KUL in J, with a transit only in TOK, but the award doesn't seem to be available on the ticket. That is to say, If I search ORD-KUL (on the QF website), the flights aren't an option. The flights only show if I do the two searches separately. Is AS likely to be able to book them as one award? Or doesn't it matter, such that I could book ORD-HND one day for 70K, then phone back the next day and add NRT-KUL for no additional points?
Or you could use the multi-city search and book it online as one award yourself. You can make a change within 24 hours without a change fee if you don't otherwise have a waiver, so yes, you can add the segment for no additional miles, in your case, but there will likely be a small change in fees & taxes that will have to be paid. AS may charge a phone booking fee too. If you can't see it on AS, you won't be able to book it either online or via an agent.

James
skimthetrees likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jun 4, 2020 at 9:01 pm
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Or you could use the multi-city search and book it online as one award yourself. You can make a change within 24 hours without a change fee if you don't otherwise have a waiver, so yes, you can add the segment for no additional miles, in your case, but there will likely be a small change in fees & taxes that will have to be paid. AS may charge a phone booking fee too. If you can't see it on AS, you won't be able to book it either online or via an agent.

James
Thanks for that. I didn't even think about online.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
When I look at flights next Winter/Spring I see one flight a day ORD-HND arriving at 3 PM and one flight a day NRT-KUL departing 11:05 AM the next day. As James mentioned you can book those flights yourself using the AS multi-city search, just put in the correct departure date for the NRT-KUL (+2).
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

When I look at flights next Winter/Spring I see one flight a day ORD-HND arriving at 3 PM and one flight a day NRT-KUL departing 11:05 AM the next day. As James mentioned you can book those flights yourself using the AS multi-city search, just put in the correct departure date for the NRT-KUL (+2).
And just that the F seat I saw a couple of hours ago has disappeared. Well at least now I'll now how to jump on it next time.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

And just that the F seat I saw a couple of hours ago has disappeared. Well at least now I'll now how to jump on it next time.
Well I've found an F seat out of JFK and a J seat NRT-KUL but when I search JFK-KUL, I only get J seats on both sectors, not F to TOK and J to KUL. That's using the multi-city function.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Well I've found an F seat out of JFK and a J seat NRT-KUL but when I search JFK-KUL, I only get J seats on both sectors, not F to TOK and J to KUL. That's using the multi-city function.
Wait, wait. I've found one option.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
It might be a married segment issue.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:39 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
It might be a married segment issue.
Hahaha ... that's where this conversation started
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:47 am

Programs: Alaska
I have no problem to find F on JFK-HND and J on NRT-KUL with multi-city.

keep in mind that there is no F on JL after March 31st on AS. F on JL still available to other partners after March 31st.

If you don't mind, please provide the date.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.