Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by keitherson
Alaska was booking people into Emirates revenue A?
No. My references to A and Z are specific to JL.

AS agents were booking into EK award inventory that you couldn't see on the website via long sell.

EK Awards Not Working

EK Awards Not Working

Eventually AS agents got told "don't do that".

Native SABRE allows you to query for space in a particular bucket. Whether the AS agents will do that ("no, please book in a different inventory bucket because I told you") if some dude is jonesing for rebooking his JL F award is completely another story.
minz56 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 11:43 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I got an absolutely amazing agent tonight who was willing to long-sell a CX segment that wasn't showing even though I knew there was 4 business seats. When I called in the agent I was speaking with was clearly not very experienced with CX bookings so she punted me up the chain and it was very clear I was dealing with someone with a lot of experience.

After realizing I got a very knowledgable agent, I asked her if she was aware of the fare class change on JAL and if she would try manually requesting an A class seat on my JAL booking which happened to have F availability on the exact right date, got really lucky with that.

She was willing to do so and said that she had some notation on her side about that change so there's some level of awareness at AS regarding this, and I now have a JAL F booking for November rather than my original J booking. I am extremely happy with the outcome.

Just wish I knew some way to give feedback to AS about how great they were. I don't know what we'd do without people like this to help us.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 8:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Just wish I knew some way to give feedback to AS about how great they were. I don't know what we'd do without people like this to help us.
Perhaps try alaskalistens.com?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 8:26 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I got an absolutely amazing agent tonight who was willing to long-sell a CX segment that wasn't showing even though I knew there was 4 business seats. When I called in the agent I was speaking with was clearly not very experienced with CX bookings so she punted me up the chain and it was very clear I was dealing with someone with a lot of experience.

After realizing I got a very knowledgable agent, I asked her if she was aware of the fare class change on JAL and if she would try manually requesting an A class seat on my JAL booking which happened to have F availability on the exact right date, got really lucky with that.

She was willing to do so and said that she had some notation on her side about that change so there's some level of awareness at AS regarding this, and I now have a JAL F booking for November rather than my original J booking. I am extremely happy with the outcome.

Originally Posted by socalgecko
Perhaps try alaskalistens.com?
I'm super happy that this worked out for you, but please DON'T try and give feedback on this scenario. If you do, they'll have full access to the agent's info. and you'll likely cause more problems than good for that person. AS agents were instructed NOT to long sell.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I'm super happy that this worked out for you, but please DON'T try and give feedback on this scenario. If you do, they'll have full access to the agent's info. and you'll likely cause more problems than good for that person. AS agents were instructed NOT to long sell.
I realized after posting that it would likely just cause scrutiny and trouble and decided to not do anything. Feels bad.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Very recently I booked JAL BOS-NRT-BOS in J for 120,000 all in over Thanksgiving. No hassle. Got confirmation numbers after a couple of hours by email.
Not sure why people complain so much in this thread.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Very recently I booked JAL BOS-NRT-BOS in J for 120,000 all in over Thanksgiving. No hassle. Got confirmation numbers after a couple of hours by email.
Not sure why people complain so much in this thread.
Because people are jones'ing for JL/CX F to countries where it's ????s when they will be reopened for casual tourism from the US for advanced bookings, where the schedule's something between a bad joke and implausible fiction.

I mean, if it gets you through the pandemic, I guess? And I guess things during 2H 2021 are more plausible than now...
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 3:55 pm

Thanks for sharing this, and congrats! I'm trying to secure 2 F seats for my honeymoon in Sept.

It seems HUCAing until one gets an agent who knows how and is willing to manually request an A class seat is the only solution for the time being.

No luck on my first try, but at least I know it's possible. I'll give it another few attempts over the next couple days.

Last edited by Kylash; Jan 9, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Old Feb 28, 2021, 6:45 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Are there any expectations that we will be able to see F class seats again once the move to oneworld is complete?
Old Feb 28, 2021, 8:14 am

Alaska takes more miles to go to Japan versus using aa miles. The only reason people us Alaska miles is because of the stopovers ?
Old Feb 28, 2021, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Stocktc1
Alaska takes more miles to go to Japan versus using aa miles. The only reason people us Alaska miles is because of the stopovers ?
US-TYO in F is 80k for AA and 70k for AS. If you go further to SEA countries it's 110k or AA and 75k AS for F. Did you even bother any research?
Old Feb 28, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by brentyb
Are there any expectations that we will be able to see F class seats again once the move to oneworld is complete?
Do you mean past March? I see plenty of F seats LAX-HND this March. No one outside AS can say what will happen after they join OneWorld and they have not said so we do not know. My feeling is that they are not interested in making any changes (fixes) now until they at least join OneWorld. After that there probably will be a period where they do fix things because they want their OneWorld approval to be perceived as a good thing. Pressure can then be applied through OneWorld and not just AS (who has shown that they do not care to fix many problems unless it hurts their revenue - in which case they magically fix it almost immediately), so I do think the F availability past March will eventually be resolved at some point after they join OneWorld but do not hold your breath for it to happen. It may happen as part of a new OneWorld Award chart at a higher award cost.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 1:54 pm

question

Hi,
I have a newbie question.
Is it possible to book an one-way ticket from ORD(or BOS) to SEL(ICN or GMP) with BKK for stop-over?
I see the route with seperate search, but not in multi-search.

TIA.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by akachyan
Hi,
I have a newbie question.
Is it possible to book an one-way ticket from ORD(or BOS) to SEL(ICN or GMP) with BKK for stop-over?
I see the route with seperate search, but not in multi-search.

TIA.
For JAL you can't have BKK as stopover. You can stop TYO or any gateway US cities
Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
For JAL you can't have BKK as stopover. You can stop TYO or any gateway US cities
Thank you for the info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.