Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2021, 6:03 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG (OWS)
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
As of today, 1F award at T-360 (not bookable by AS until it comes into the AS booking window around T-330), The rest become available around T-12 days at which point JAL can make the remaining unsold inventory available for awards. In between there are no new partner awards released. I found one anomaly day 1/28 where it looked like maybe one extra award seat might have been released but my guess is that it was not and the reason it is available is that the other taken F seat was a paid ticket and 1F award is separate from the 1F paid seat.
I booked (and flew!) two award tickets in JAL F on 11/28 this year. Booked them on the AS website on 8/8 for the 11/28 JL 5 (JFK→HND). That flight actually got cancelled on 9/22 but I was able to get rebooked on JL 8005 (JFK→NRT). My wife and I ad the entire F cabin to ourselves!

I've literally never seen two F JL awards available that far in advance any other time but it definitely happened this once.

The timing ended being good because on 12/01 the country locked down due to omicron in a way that would have kept me out.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 6:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by furnace
I booked (and flew!) two award tickets in JAL F on 11/28 this year. Booked them on the AS website on 8/8 for the 11/28 JL 5 (JFK→HND). That flight actually got cancelled on 9/22 but I was able to get rebooked on JL 8005 (JFK→NRT). My wife and I ad the entire F cabin to ourselves!

I've literally never seen two F JL awards available that far in advance any other time but it definitely happened this once.

The timing ended being good because on 12/01 the country locked down due to omicron in a way that would have kept me out.
Before the pandemic HND - SFO regularly had 2 seats available far in advance. I was able to get a 3rd about a month before the dept
furnace likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:55 pm

Just another data point confirming that while the website couldn't price a multi-cabin award (BKK-NRT-LAX), I was able to do it over the phone. First agent claimed no F seats available for NRT-LAX, so I HUCA a few hours later. The second agent said it was a married segment problem but when I pushed she did a multi-city search and saw the F space. About a 10 minute hold to get her supervisor, and then it was done. 3 seats in F in early Jan is normally unheard of, but it's not a normal year.
be_rettSEA and ItsAnAdam like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:39 am

Thanks for all the good advice in this thread.

Managed to book TYO-JFK (-PDX-SEA-YVR) in F for next Nov.

In searching, for a couple of weeks I tracked flights in both directions for most of next fall, and noticed that flights came and went, usually on a daily basis.

So if you're looking to book but can't find flights, keep searching.

cheers

kl
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 4:30 pm

Are phantom availability issues pervasive with JL? I'm seeing some flights but when completing the booking it errors out and says unable to confirm the partner flights and to try again. I'm changing my flight versus a new booking if that makes a difference.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Are you looking at the end of the schedule (~330 days out) or somewhere in between? There's always some funkiness with booking at the end of schedule, but I don't know if the phantom availability issue has surfaced again for other time periods
Old Jan 6, 2022, 6:43 pm

I’ve been trying to book JFK-NRT (F) and connecting to NRT-BKK (business) in one award ticket but have not been successful. The website would only allow me to book:

1) the two segments SEPARATELY in the cabin classes I want (first and business)

2) JFK-NRT in F and NRT-BKK in economy under one booking

3) JFK-NRT-BKK all in business under one booking

Since I confirmed that award seats are available on the two flights, I called Alaska, but the agents were not able to book my desired itinerary for me. They were only able to offer the same 3 options that I could have booked myself on the website.

I read on here that I could just book JFK-NRT in F on the website and call the Partner Desk to add the NRT-BKK segment afterwards, so that’s what I did. Again, the agent told me that they were not able to add NRT-BKK Business to my existing JFK-NRT First. The agent said if NRT-BKK Business is added, the my booking in F gets downgraded to Business and there’s nothing she can do about It. Any thoughts advise on this would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by doradee
I’ve been trying to book JFK-NRT (F) and connecting to NRT-BKK (business) in one award ticket but have not been successful. The website would only allow me to book:

1) the two segments SEPARATELY in the cabin classes I want (first and business)

2) JFK-NRT in F and NRT-BKK in economy under one booking

3) JFK-NRT-BKK all in business under one booking

Since I confirmed that award seats are available on the two flights, I called Alaska, but the agents were not able to book my desired itinerary for me. They were only able to offer the same 3 options that I could have booked myself on the website.

I read on here that I could just book JFK-NRT in F on the website and call the Partner Desk to add the NRT-BKK segment afterwards, so that’s what I did. Again, the agent told me that they were not able to add NRT-BKK Business to my existing JFK-NRT First. The agent said if NRT-BKK Business is added, the my booking in F gets downgraded to Business and there’s nothing she can do about It. Any thoughts advise on this would be much appreciated. Thank you.
HUCA. Call the partner desk line during normal business hours. In the past they were able to handle it. There is a vast difference in quality of AS frontline agents being able to handle partner changes like this, hence the advice to HUCA and talk to the partner/International desk during business hours. Results still may vary but my guess is that it is still possible if you get the right agent.

They way I would suggest handling it is to, without mentioning your existing reservation, ask the agent to search for NRT-BKK in Business (it should show on the website) and once they confirm it is available then tell them you want to add this to your existing JFK-NRT booking. Since they have now confirmed the space is available if they have trouble adding it ask them to request help from a supervisor.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
HUCA. Call the partner desk line during normal business hours. In the past they were able to handle it. There is a vast difference in quality of AS frontline agents being able to handle partner changes like this, hence the advice to HUCA and talk to the partner/International desk during business hours. Results still may vary but my guess is that it is still possible if you get the right agent.

They way I would suggest handling it is to, without mentioning your existing reservation, ask the agent to search for NRT-BKK in Business (it should show on the website) and once they confirm it is available then tell them you want to add this to your existing JFK-NRT booking. Since they have now confirmed the space is available if they have trouble adding it ask them to request help from a supervisor.
I tried this today, and it finally worked out. It didn’t get escalated to a supervisor though. Luckily the agent who helped me was capable and willing. Thanks for the suggestion!
skimthetrees and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:02 pm

Is the AS website still having issues showing/booking JAL First Award tickets? The JAL first awards are available to be put on hold on AA.com, but when trying to search AS for the same exact flights, they only have business. Do I have to end up calling the AS partner desk to book the JAL first award? Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 24, 2022, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by jglenn16
Is the AS website still having issues showing/booking JAL First Award tickets? The JAL first awards are available to be put on hold on AA.com, but when trying to search AS for the same exact flights, they only have business. Do I have to end up calling the AS partner desk to book the JAL first award? Thanks in advance!
I encountered the same thing, but I think maybe the AS F allocation on JL is different. The F seats do seem to open up around 2-3 weeks prior to departure.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by AADFW
I encountered the same thing, but I think maybe the AS F allocation on JL is different. The F seats do seem to open up around 2-3 weeks prior to departure.
Hmmm, looks like you're right. Some first awards are bookable on AS.com, closer to departure date all the way until May 2022. That is weird that the first awards are allocated differently from the ones +4 months out.

Should I still try to call AS partner desk to see if they're able to find/book the space if it's showing up on AA.com and able to be held on their site? The F award that show up as available on AS.com/AA.com is in fare code A. The one doesn't show up on AS.com, but on AA.com is fare code A as well.

Last edited by jglenn16; Jan 24, 2022 at 9:25 pm Reason: more context
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by jglenn16
Hmmm, looks like you're right. Some first awards are bookable on AS.com, closer to departure date all the way until May 2022. That is weird that the first awards are allocated differently from the ones +4 months out.

Should I still try to call AS partner desk to see if they're able to find/book the space if it's showing up on AA.com and able to be held on their site? The F award that show up as available on AS.com/AA.com is in fare code A. The one doesn't show up on AS.com, but on AA.com is fare code A as well.
Are you looking to TYO non-stop or beyond? You might be running into the bug mixing F with other classes of service described earlier in the thread. I have no trouble seeing non-stop F using AS search, even far out.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 1:02 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Tried to book LAX-HND-DEL with a two day stopover but agent said he could only book as two awards if I wanted the stopover (would be fine if it was just as a layover)?

So I went ahead and just booked LAXHND solo online. If I try again tomorrow should I be able to tag on HNDDEL? All in same class (J).
Old Jan 25, 2022, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Tried to book LAX-HND-DEL with a two day stopover but agent said he could only book as two awards if I wanted the stopover (would be fine if it was just as a layover)?

So I went ahead and just booked LAXHND solo online. If I try again tomorrow should I be able to tag on HNDDEL? All in same class (J).
J? Why didn't you just book multi-city? You can do it yourself on the website? An agent should be able to handle it with a stopover no problem. It might get tricky if you were not doing a stopover and there was no married segment availability but that isn't how you describe your situation so it should be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.