Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:29 am

Did booking JAL award F come back now that AS officially joined OneWorld ?
Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Did booking JAL award F come back now that AS officially joined OneWorld ?
It doesn't appear to be. Can't find any space on AA or QF
Old Apr 13, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Ceasars Diamond
I just searched tons of dates and didn't see F come up at all. From SFO, SEA, LAX... nothing.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 12:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by JimSF
I just searched tons of dates and didn't see F come up at all. From SFO, SEA, LAX... nothing.
I believe they only fly F to SFO, LAX, ORD, and JFK. But yes appears to be none and this isnít a AS issue JAL appears to not be releasing awards. If F on JAL is a goner very glad I was able to experience it before they cut it
Old Apr 13, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
It doesn't appear to be. Can't find any space on AA or QF
I see a handful of F on AA (haven't checked QF but I expect the same). I am not surprised AS still hasn't fixed their JL F award "bug".
Old Apr 14, 2021, 6:04 am

Programs: AS G100K, UA Silver
I booked two F seats on NRT-JFK for June

Back story -

Had CGK-NRT-BOS booked in Biz
Needed to change to CGK-NRT-JFK, but looking for a new reservation only showed a mixed itin with Biz/Coach
Used the online tool, asked to change the two segments instead:
CGK-NRT - same date
NRT-JFK - next day

Came back with a mixed itin, with NRT-JFK in FIRST (A) and to my delight, it actually confirmed and was able to select seats on JAL.

So, it IS possible!
decerbod likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I booked two F seats on NRT-JFK for June

Back story -

Had CGK-NRT-BOS booked in Biz
Needed to change to CGK-NRT-JFK, but looking for a new reservation only showed a mixed itin with Biz/Coach
Used the online tool, asked to change the two segments instead:
CGK-NRT - same date
NRT-JFK - next day

Came back with a mixed itin, with NRT-JFK in FIRST (A) and to my delight, it actually confirmed and was able to select seats on JAL.

So, it IS possible!
so only website canít book F. Agents can book F?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
so only website canít book F. Agents can book F?
I was able to do it via the website, but only via the "change flights" tool.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I believe they only fly F to SFO, LAX, ORD, and JFK. But yes appears to be none and this isnít a AS issue JAL appears to not be releasing awards. If F on JAL is a goner very glad I was able to experience it before they cut it
Not true, it's still bookable with other partners like AA and CX (can confirm from personal experience booking and ticketing via CX within the last few weeks).

It's a known issue on AS's end to do with fare codes. People at AS and in this thread have been saying that they weren't fixing it because their IT department was totally swamped with preparations for the OW integration on March 31st but so far the only change I've seen is a OW logo on their website.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by etgohomeok
It's a known issue on AS's end to do with fare codes. People at AS and in this thread have been saying that they weren't fixing it because their IT department was totally swamped with preparations for the OW integration on March 31st but so far the only change I've seen is a OW logo on their website.
Public facing IT is just a fraction of the total infrastructure. There's far more inside the firewall that surely took most of their time. The integration with OW was significant, just like in most instances of new alliance membership. Operations, Finance, and Safety are just some of the elements that we seldom see in the outside world. AS had to demonstrate they met the OW standards, and would be able to share data across the group, where legally permissible and contractually required. Award inventory bug fixes, and alike, weren't necessary for transition. JL F award inventory, for flights that most AS members cannot take at this time, surely received close to the lowest priority.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 5:12 pm

I had some free time today and tried to duplicate pushmyredbutton 's success with some one ways. Did not work but planning on trying multi-city when I can. Curious for other datapoints.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by decerbod
I had some free time today and tried to duplicate pushmyredbutton 's success with some one ways. Did not work but planning on trying multi-city when I can. Curious for other datapoints.
Were you confirming availability before you tried it and how were you checking?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Were you confirming availability before you tried it and how were you checking?
Yes confirmed availability in First. I made JFK -HND dummy J bookings over different dates with AS. Booked to change over to other long haul one ways spread across the calendar that had either 1 or 2 award seats with confirmed space in First. I book my First T360 with AsiaMiles, so I donít need to use AS for JL but Iím curious for future bookings.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:50 pm

Yes confirmed availability in First. I made JFK -HND dummy J bookings over different dates with AS. Booked to change over to other long haul one ways spread across the calendar that had either 1 or 2 award seats with confirmed space in First. I book my First T360 with AsiaMiles, so I donít need to use AS for JL but Iím curious for future bookings.
How did you confirm space in First before attempting to change?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 8:28 am

Got it to work again today.
JFK-NRT-CGK in business for a random date. Booked it.
Used the online tool to change to a new date where business wasn't available, and the site returned First (A) + 10,000 miles (x2 pax)

After a rather long processing step, the reservation finally confirmed in First.
Likely due to a fare mapping issue, AS shows the JL portion in "Coach", but it's in First on the JAL website, and the pax are in 2A and 2K

AS site view after the change

JAL side

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.