Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:11 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Morkai
This individual appears to have booked a JAL F award recently on AS: https://www.reddit.com/r/awardtravel...rjf/?context=3

Any ideas?
F is bookable til end of March 2021.

there are plenty of F awards on JL in December 2020
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
This individual appears to have booked a JAL F award recently on AS: https://www.reddit.com/r/awardtravel...rjf/?context=3

Any ideas?
I just looked at both SFO and LAX for this Sunday (12/13), both are open in all cabins.

Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:28 am

Is Japan open with a negative PCR?
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I just looked at both SFO and LAX for this Sunday (12/13), both are open in all cabins.

This is odd to me because the availability I see on AA for F for TYO-ORD or TYO-JFK does not show on the AS site for dates next OCT/SEP. I wonder if for whatever reason AS shows availability only closer to departure?
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Is Japan open with a negative PCR?
Kind of? Certain business travelers can enter from the U.S., negative PCR and 14 day quarantine are required.

https://jp.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...9-information/
Old Dec 9, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: UA, AS
This is odd to me because the availability I see on AA for F for TYO-ORD or TYO-JFK does not show on the AS site for dates next OCT/SEP. I wonder if for whatever reason AS shows availability only closer to departure?
This has been covered in different threads here on FT. It is a result of JAL changing the fare class for F awards from Z to (a subset of) A starting for departures from April 1st, 2021. Some programs have updated their systems to handle this change (like AA, QF, and CX), other programs, like AS and BA) have not updated their systems and cannot book JAL F awards beyond 3/31/20201. It is not that AS is intentionally limiting JAL F awards after April 1st, it is that AS IT is incompetent or understaffed and cannot handle the change. AS IT has a history of incompetence so I would lean toward that explanation.

At some point this will be resolved. My rough guess is after AS joins OneWorld on April 1st, 2021. They will need a complete revamp of their IT to handle the new partners so maybe they are investing all their resources in that instead of fixing current issues that do not directly affect their revenue?
minz56 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 12:20 pm

Is this a married segment issue? Trying to book LAX-HND arriving 5.30 pm 2/6 then HND-SGN departing 1.30 am 2/8, so about 8 hour layover. Could not see this as one itinerary (LAX-SGN) but when I use multi city search both flights shows up. However at check out I'm seeing this message "We're sorry, we aren't able to confirm space on these partner flights. Please try again and choose different flights, dates or cities." Not sure if this is because of the long layover or married segment.

If it is married segment can phone agents overcome this?
Old Dec 10, 2020, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Is this a married segment issue? Trying to book LAX-HND arriving 5.30 pm 2/6 then HND-SGN departing 1.30 am 2/8, so about 8 hour layover. Could not see this as one itinerary (LAX-SGN) but when I use multi city search both flights shows up. However at check out I'm seeing this message "We're sorry, we aren't able to confirm space on these partner flights. Please try again and choose different flights, dates or cities." Not sure if this is because of the long layover or married segment.

If it is married segment can phone agents overcome this?
Your dates are showing more than a 24 hour connection (which is not a connection but a stopover). Arrive 2/6, depart 2/8. I assume you got your flight info wrong and meant to say you depart LAX on 2/6 and depart HND 2/8 in which case, yes, this is a married segment issue. Not sure how to get around this one. Your best try would be to book HND-SGN on 2/9, a day later so that it is not married, but you would have to be able to enter Japan for a day.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Your dates are showing more than a 24 hour connection (which is not a connection but a stopover). Arrive 2/6, depart 2/8. I assume you got your flight info wrong and meant to say you depart LAX on 2/6 and depart HND 2/8 in which case, yes, this is a married segment issue. Not sure how to get around this one. Your best try would be to book HND-SGN on 2/9, a day later so that it is not married, but you would have to be able to enter Japan for a day.
You're right it should be arriving afternoon 2/7 and leaving 2/8, 8 hour layover. Unfortunately I cant make this a stopover. Gonna try to call in and see if I'm lucky.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
You're right it should be arriving afternoon 2/7 and leaving 2/8, 8 hour layover. Unfortunately I cant make this a stopover. Gonna try to call in and see if I'm lucky.
Good luck! Let us know how it plays out.

I think your best shot is to book with a stopover then call and ask them to change the date on one segment. There must, of course, be availability for the individual segment you are trying to change to and I would not mention your original booking when you call in to change it. I would call in and ask them to check (without mentioning the existing res) for availability of HND-SGN on the new date and once they confirm the availability tell them you want to switch the date on your existing res to the availability they just confirmed. Now they are in a position where they confirmed it so they will be more likely to escalate to a supervisor to make it happen.

That said, there is a strong possibility the HND-SGN flight will be cancelled as Vietnam is basically closed and probably will remain so past February.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Good luck! Let us know how it plays out.

I think your best shot is to book with a stopover then call and ask them to change the date on one segment. There must, of course, be availability for the individual segment you are trying to change to and I would not mention your original booking when you call in to change it. I would call in and ask them to check (without mentioning the existing res) for availability of HND-SGN on the new date and once they confirm the availability tell them you want to switch the date on your existing res to the availability they just confirmed. Now they are in a position where they confirmed it so they will be more likely to escalate to a supervisor to make it happen.

That said, there is a strong possibility the HND-SGN flight will be cancelled as Vietnam is basically closed and probably will remain so past February.
Great idea. I did just that and the tickets confirmed for now. Added another domestic leg in front. So right now I have ATL-SEA-LAX-HND arriving 2/7 then HND-SGN departing 2/9. Will try to call in and change HND-SGN to 2/8.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Wondering if anyone has had success booking JL F past April 1st through AS? I've called a few times and none of the agents I've spoken to were able to see seats on days that I confirmed minutes before were available on several other OW partner websites. I did have one very friendly agent check through some memos to confirm that they know about the fare code issue but she didn't have any information about when/if they're fixing it.

Would calling the partner desk directly potentially work, and if so, does anyone know their phone number?
decerbod likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by etgohomeok
Wondering if anyone has had success booking JL F past April 1st through AS? I've called a few times and none of the agents I've spoken to were able to see seats on days that I confirmed minutes before were available on several other OW partner websites. I did have one very friendly agent check through some memos to confirm that they know about the fare code issue but she didn't have any information about when/if they're fixing it.

Would calling the partner desk directly potentially work, and if so, does anyone know their phone number?
No, even in normal availability, agents can't just magically open award space on partners, please look upthread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32874067-post171.html
Old Dec 27, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by etgohomeok
"Calling the partner desk directly" won't work because there's no way to call the partner desk directly.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by safari ari
No, even in normal availability, agents can't just magically open award space on partners, please look upthread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32874067-post171.html
My understanding is that this isn't a matter of "magically opening award space on partners" since the award space is already open and can be confirmed on several other partner airlines. Rather, this is an issue of JL changing the fare code designation for F award space past April 1st from Z to A and AS not having updated their IT infrastructure yet to accommodate the change. Other airlines that had the same issue with JL F award space have since updated their systems and are showing availability in JL F again (including CX quite recently), but AS is not. As such, since the issue is on AS's end, it's entirely reasonable to imagine that someone at AS might have the ability to override the fare code used in the search engine for award space such that they can see the available seats.

In fact I can actually prove that there's still an issue with fare codes in AS's system because by some stroke of luck I managed to find an open seat on their system a while ago and booked it and it shows up as "Coach" when I view it in AS's system despite clearly being a first class booking that cost 70K miles:

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
"Calling the partner desk directly" won't work because there's no way to call the partner desk directly.
Are you sure? I could swear that someone gave me a number to call several months ago when I had an issue with a JL booking through AS and it went directly through to someone who had a Japanese accent who was able to assist with the issues I had at the time, but unfortunately I didn't save the number... I thought it was someone at AS who specifically handled JL partner reservations but maybe it was a JL rep who I was talking to?
decerbod likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.