Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Old Aug 5, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
HND is allowable overnight but you can't go landside, if not allowed to enter the country. There's an airside hotel as well.
That is interesting to know. Looking closer, I do see that the same calendar day transit requirement is for NRT only.

Admission and Transit Restrictions:

Passengers transiting through Tokyo (NRT) must transit on the same calendar day.

Of course YVR-TYO arrives in NRT.

James
Old Aug 5, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
That is interesting to know. Looking closer, I do see that the same calendar day transit requirement is for NRT only.

Admission and Transit Restrictions:

Passengers transiting through Tokyo (NRT) must transit on the same calendar day.

Of course YVR-TYO arrives in NRT.

James
the reason is that NRT is not open 24-hour. NRT is closed for a few hours every day.

HND is open 24-hour.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by rustykettel
HND is allowable overnight but you can't go landside, if not allowed to enter the country. There's an airside hotel as well.
FWIW the airside portion of the hotel is currently not operating. You'd be stuck schlepping in the terminal if staying overnight.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by SugoiHikouki
FWIW the airside portion of the hotel is currently not operating. You'd be stuck schlepping in the terminal if staying overnight.
Thanks! I assumed it had reopened last month.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 1:11 am

How do I book a flight from ORD to HND and then to SIN?

ORD to HND is available
NRT to SIN is available
But i cant get ORD to SIN using multi city.

Do I have to call customer service?

Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2020, 2:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HawaiiO

ORD to HND is available
NRT to SIN is available

Thanks!
Be careful with your dates. You usually arrive in Asia +2 days so make sure your onward flight is dated correctly. Also JL awards to SE Asia are 5K higher for J/F than to North Asia. If you are trying to build in a stopover, there may be married segment logic on the through fare that breaks.

James
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:52 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by HawaiiO

ORD to HND is available
NRT to SIN is available

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Be careful with your dates. You usually arrive in Asia +2 days so make sure your onward flight is dated correctly. Also JL awards to SE Asia are 5K higher for J/F than to North Asia. If you are trying to build in a stopover, there may be married segment logic on the through fare that breaks.

James
Minimum Connect Time on JL HND to NRT is 3.30 so you will not be able to book a connection with less time than this on the same day. For example, I searched flights next June:

ORD-HND arrives at 3:35 pm
NRT-SIN departs at 5:55 pm

This is a connection time of 2:20 which violates the MCT of 3 hours and 30 minutes so you will not be able to book this either online or by calling in if you are attempting to arrive and depart the same day since 2 hours and 20 minutes violates the HND-NRT MCT of 3 hours and 30 minutes. If you book the NRT-SIN flight the following day (more than the 3:30 MCT) it is bookable online via the multi-city tool and you get a free stopover in Tokyo!
HawaiiO and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I booked Jun/Jul SEA-NRT. Good availability outbound but return routes through SAN with a LOT off layover time. 75K might get me on earlier time. I checked the day return should have been available but nada.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Any updates on the situation with F award space after March 2021? I was originally supposed to fly JL F on AS points this summer (canceled for obvious reasons) and I'm trying to rebook for a later date as far out as possible when I'll be likely to actually take the flight, but I'd like to book it before AS joins OW in case there are unfavorable changes.

I've read that the seats seem to be bookable with AA points by searching for space through QF and then calling into AA to book the ticket, however I just tried this strategy and the AS agent wasn't able to see availability over the phone so it seems like that's a no-go.

Wondering if anyone has been able to confirm whether or not the lack of JL F space on AS is intentional, or if it's a computer glitch that they're sorting out?
Old Sep 22, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by etgohomeok
Any updates on the situation with F award space after March 2021? I was originally supposed to fly JL F on AS points this summer (canceled for obvious reasons) and I'm trying to rebook for a later date as far out as possible when I'll be likely to actually take the flight, but I'd like to book it before AS joins OW in case there are unfavorable changes.

I've read that the seats seem to be bookable with AA points by searching for space through QF and then calling into AA to book the ticket, however I just tried this strategy and the AS agent wasn't able to see availability over the phone so it seems like that's a no-go.

Wondering if anyone has been able to confirm whether or not the lack of JL F space on AS is intentional, or if it's a computer glitch that they're sorting out?
The problem arose for most partners when JL changed the booking code for F awards from Z to A effective 1 April 2021. I suspect that AS haven't caught up with this change yet, but that is just speculation. AA had problems for a while but appear to now book successfully when award space is actually available - the problem there is that they seem to show a lot of phantom space. The following post on the JL forum may help in identifying when F space is actually available:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32678074-post1540.html

I would use the suggestions in this post to identify when award space is showing available on the JL site and then call AS to see what they can find. It would also be worth asking which fare bucket they are looking for. It wouldn't surprise me that they are still looking for Z class for travel after 1 April 2021.

Last edited by minz56; Sep 22, 2020 at 11:42 am
Old Sep 22, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by minz56
The problem arose for most partners when JL changed the booking code for F awards from Z to A effective 1 April 2021. I suspect that AS haven't caught up with this change yet, but that is just speculation. AA had problems for a while but appear to now book successfully when award space is actually available - the problem there is that they seem to show a lot of phantom space. The following post on the JL forum may help in identifying when F space is actually available:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32678074-post1540.html

I would use the suggestions in this post to identify when award space is showing available on the JL site and then call AS to see what they can find. It would also be worth asking which fare bucket they are looking for. It wouldn't surprise me that they are still looking for Z class for travel after 1 April 2021.
Thanks, I'd love to hear if anyone is able to successfully do this, and if so, who they had to talk to/what they had to say. The AS agent I spoke to searched up award flights from HND-ORD on a day when I can see F space using both JL and QF's search engines and didn't see any award space (in any cabin) on that date.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, AK MVP
I could not book with AS miles

Called into AS, they just don't see availability.
Booked on AA online a few mins later for 10K more miles. Oh well!
Old Nov 28, 2020, 9:56 am

Really hoping this is sorted out fairly quickly. Very surprised that it's been several months with no JAL F availability on AS and nothing has been corrected.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Morkai
Really hoping this is sorted out fairly quickly. Very surprised that it's been several months with no JAL F availability on AS and nothing has been corrected.
I wouldn't rate your chances too high. They must be in the process of developing new tools for booking OW awards when AS joins next year. Hopefully JL F awards will book correctly with the new tool.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 7:32 am

This individual appears to have booked a JAL F award recently on AS: https://www.reddit.com/r/awardtravel...rjf/?context=3

Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.