Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Jordan D
As far as I know ORD, BOS & ZRH aren't MF routes, so I won't have the pleasure of seeing any of these recruits in the near future.
You are in luck - ORD is going to MF very soon.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Interested to see my own face on board one of the aircraft in last night's show!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
but arriving at your office 3 hours before a meeting an odd time may be ok but doing this on a regular basis will seriously put at risk the health of your mind and body
Maybe I should add that rather than watch last nights episode, I still had the regulation 7 hours sleep.

I am also working for a pretty good employer who encourages people to choose their working hours to fit around their preference and workload. I will be finishing at 2:30 today before catching up on last nights episode.

If something is important to someone, they always find a way of doing it.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC foot soldier
My comments about last nights episode -

1. The part where the training course focused on how to engage with CW passengers was a little unnerving. The course leaders (who were also a little scary!) were painting a picture of this 'special' group of people who were able to travel in CW. People are able to travel in CW and F because a) work pays. b)Avios. c) they work the numbers and good sale prices or ex-EU d) have enough disposable income that this class is a norm. e)see a good flight class as a part of annual vacation and save accordingly.

Myself and the other half are able to travel in CW and F because we combine b & e. I suspect a lot of 'normal' folk will have been put off by what I saw as almost a class divide by BA. Far too much talk about tickets costing thousands, where there was nothing about how the 'normal' public could travel in a good class if they were prepared to work the numbers!

2. I felt sorry for Jodie but life is tough. She knew what the rules were and what was expected. I am sure there will be lots of other airlines who will consider her.

3. I really do not see BA positively promoting the brand through this programme.

4. I did enjoy programme 2 more than 1 and I am looking forward to 3!!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by TheAberdonian
My comments about last nights episode -

1. The part where the training course focused on how to engage with CW passengers was a little unnerving. The course leaders (who were also a little scary!) were painting a picture of this 'special' group of people who were able to travel in CW. People are able to travel in CW and F because a) work pays. b)Avios. c) they work the numbers and good sale prices or ex-EU d) have enough disposable income that this class is a norm. e)see a good flight class as a part of annual vacation and save accordingly.

Myself and the other half are able to travel in CW and F because we combine b & e. I suspect a lot of 'normal' folk will have been put off by what I saw as almost a class divide by BA. Far too much talk about tickets costing thousands, where there was nothing about how the 'normal' public could travel in a good class if they were prepared to work the numbers!
Couldn't agree more!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG,Hilton HHonors, QFF
Just want to throw a comment out here.

Lots of comments here saying that the PR people in BA have let themselves down.

I would actually suggest that BA doesn't/didn't have too much say in what gets shown/not shown? I'm hoping that the BBC would make a program untainted by outside influences (an idealist, perhaps!) - and we're seeing the results of that.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
Originally Posted by lemira
Fair comment, but the overuse of the word 'like' drives me insane.

I'm like totally like over it.

Whatevah.
Agreed! I like nearly had to like turn the programme off, owing to the aweful like use of the word...
How is it [the use of 'like'] managing to popularise itself in our language's culture?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:16 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Maybe I should add that rather than watch last nights episode, I still had the regulation 7 hours sleep.

I am also working for a pretty good employer who encourages people to choose their working hours to fit around their preference and workload. I will be finishing at 2:30 today before catching up on last nights episode.

If something is important to someone, they always find a way of doing it.
I am freelance so choose my own hours

you are lucky to be employed by someone flexible

but come on get real and have a bit of thought for those who don't
example---someone works and gets paid to work from 9am -5pm and has a meeting in the office each morning at 9.30am do you really expect them to get to the office at 6.30 am every morning just to ensure they make the meeting
by the end of the month they are not going to be a very productive employee by the end of the month. are they ?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
The M25 is something that you really can't quantify in terms of journey time.

I have gone to and from T3 at 5am on a Saturday morning - and it took me well over an hour from joining the M25 at J5 to parking up..... The return took 40 mins, . main reason for the length of journey was the seemingly endless 50mph limit between J5 and J7. In fairness - that's about the average time it takes round the southern side for me. I have gone from the M4/M25 junction to home ( about 18 miles from J5) in the same 40 mins, but my record for that journey was 5 HOURS! I turned onto the M25 just before 5 pm, and got home at 10pm due to an overturned lorry and a crash on the 25 and another accident on the A21.

Would I allow 5 hrs to get to Heathrow on a day to day basis - not on your nelly, but I would allow a minimum of 90 minutes..... Likewise, on the train I always allow one train in hand - so if anything happens to my usual one, the next one will still get me there in time!

The trainees were told at the beginning of the course that punctuality was non negotiable, and if other trainees were late that day, I'm sure they got snapshotted too - we were just shown one girl being pulled up for it. If the trainees can't pay attention to the details and the rules while they are in training, it's probably fair to say they wouldn't be able to do it in a real situation, one reason why in that type of job they are hit hard with it from the get go.

Jodie? - well she was a termination waiting to happen, with 3 snapshots already she KNEW she was on her last chance, and we heard them say that she was told several times about her make up and didn't act on the warnings. As someone else said, she was just plain unsuitable for the job - she was gauche, a bit "up cultured" and seemingly totally lacking in confidence, compared to the slick, and confident Alice - I know who I would rather have serving me - and who I'd prefer to see on board my plane in an emergency! Hopefully, having come that far, Jodie will be allowed to try again, when hopefully a bit of life experience under her belt will help her along the way.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:45 am

Well this has put me off BA in New York, run by a boy with no experience, surely they could have trained him in Heathrow first! I used to work at Heathrow during crisis situations and the managers need to know how an airport works and how to trouble shoot before it happens... definitely flying on a USA based carrier into NY now.

It is apparent it is whether your face fits and they did look to find fault with Jodie, I am sure she will find another airline that is more fun to work for. They do use cabin crew ( hardly qualified) during the interview process, many years ago I applied and got to the 3rd interview out of 4 but it was apparent the cabin crew who were selecting and assessing us with no training picked people they liked and if they face fitted. They don't like assertive people who are a threat to their jobs but people they can mould and do as they are told.

Jodie will hopefully find a job on Virgin and Alice will get bored of being treated as a minion after 18 months and they will try to offer her something in head office training to keep her...
The snapshot for being late because of an accident which other members of staff were caught up in was unfair, what if she had an accident herself trying to get to work. No job is worth it especially as public transport was not an option.

The class barrier is all too evident, so much focus on the small percentage of F and CW passengers who probably don't watch the show indicating they give everyone else a sub standard service.

What BA need to realize its not just about standards but understanding people want to be treated as customers regardless of what they have paid.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Better episode.

The management came across as very likeable to me. Down to earth and professional at the same time.
Nice seeing bits where I've been recently and I spent the length of the show commenting on how that would never happen, as if, and other such things

They're trying to paint a very elitist picture of premium travel what with the comments and price quotes.
3k return on Ba001? 1300 or less with some of the ex-EU fares.
10k o/w from JFK? Less than 200 if Tesco are involved.....(cost me 193 to fly CX F from JFK-HKG and that was going for 10,300+)

Agree with it being unfair getting a snapshot due to an accident on the M25. Are they expecting them to live at the airport or drive along the hard shoulder and through police barricades at speed?
I've had one occasion where I set out 4hrs early for a 45 min trip and made it with minutes to spare due to transportion problems.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
If the likes of Jodie can make it that far in the process, what does that say about the rest of the applicant pool?!

Hopefully Wyman and Benny Wong will be rewarded with promotions for their sterling efforts in Chengdu.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
On last week's episode:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-ra...filipa-jodelka

The only fun to be had in this programme is in watching the cabin crew cadets. A row of coiffured buns hover like halos behind gleaming faces buffed to a mirror shine. Some of the buns resemble neat funfair doughnuts, some the back-end view of a large dog on heat. Some look like the flotation rings given to particularly stupid kids learning to swim. All are glorious. Twenty-year-old Jodi Paris, who has the air and expression of a startled fawn, heard the call to become a flight attendant on a beach in Ibiza. The chances of Jodi keeping a cool head in a rapidly decompressing aeroplane are basically nil, but boy do I root for her as she blinks under XXL spider lashes and enthuses about the flights she might take if she passes the strict training course. "I've got Nairobi and I'll get to like, play with the animals. I dunno, it might be dangerous," she says, envisioning packs of prowling giraffes. "I might just have to stay in the hotel drinking pia coladas." Any faith that she'll fulfil her dreams drops only a little when she learns that speaking gibberish in an 'Allo 'Allo accent isn't BA's way of communicating with French passengers.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TheoAlvin
Well this has put me off BA in New York, run by a boy with no experience, surely they could have trained him in Heathrow first! I used to work at Heathrow during crisis situations and the managers need to know how an airport works and how to trouble shoot before it happens... definitely flying on a USA based carrier into NY now.
That's not exactly what they did is it. He was sent over for a year to work alongside the station manager to learn the job. He's not exactly being left to run the show on his own. What is the difference between learning the job at JFK or NYC?

Anyway, welcome to Flyertalk and good luck on those USA based carriers.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by TheoAlvin
Well this has put me off BA in New York, run by a boy with no experience,
BA New York is not being run by an inexperienced boy

he is there to gain experience under the wing of a very experienced manager that's how it works

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.