Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Can't believe people getting so up tight about the Crew Training Style. If you don't aim high from the start things will slip even further. We laugh about Premium language but how we hate the VS 'mate' approach!
Just a shame the CSDs don't continue the snapshot approach in the air or indeed don't get snapshotted themselves! Lame crew seems to be a common theme in negative reports on here . Would be interesting if they filmed a crew brief and debrief to see what level
of detail is included,
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I guess they tend to be very strict with new recruits, to ensure they understand the high impact of being not punctual can have. If they would not be that pedantic, then once the crew are flying, they try to get away with lateness by bringing up all sorts of excuses ( which I think they'll do anyway). If you have unpunctual crew, then your operation will slip. Standbys cover not only late crew, but also sickness and aircraft changes, and they can run out of standby crew easily if there is no focus on punctuality.

In regards to an Indian customer who was send a letter explaining the delay was caused by late crew. Could that have been in India? Heard traffic is pretty bad in DEL.

For Jodi, she was told several times to reapply her lipstick. So she's had her chance. If she can't follow what she's being told, then she should not be on an aircraft. Sorry.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by MrsBiggles
I guess they tend to be very strict with new recruits, to ensure they understand the high impact of being not punctual can have. If they would not be that pedantic, then once the crew are flying, they try to get away with lateness by bringing up all sorts of excuses ( which I think they'll do anyway). If you have unpunctual crew, then your operation will slip. Standbys cover not only late crew, but also sickness and aircraft changes, and they can run out of standby crew easily if there is no focus on punctuality.

In regards to an Indian customer who was send a letter explaining the delay was caused by late crew. Could that have been in India? Heard traffic is pretty bad in DEL.

For Jodi, she was told several times to reapply her lipstick. So she's had her chance. If she can't follow what she's being told, then she should not be on an aircraft. Sorry.
I agree, the bootcamp we see is more of an apprentice (Alan Sugar type) like setup than your first few days on the job.

If you are late, you are late and there was probably a lot of context left out of that conversation such as the other recruits all turning up on time despite the accident on the M25. Having lived in and around the Heathrow area (Langley) for over 20 years, the impact of any disruption on the M25 during rush hour has a knock on effect on many of the local roads and other routes so no doubt other recruits would also have been affected.

I don't like lipstick, so to sack someone for not wearing especially as the person doing the sacking wasn't wearing any either is somewhat harsh. Again though, if you are asked to do something by your boss and don't do it, there may be consequences.

I do hope the recruits who have come that far get the opportunity to reapply in the future though and not banned from applying again.
I do wonder how many of the trainers there fly regularly too
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I live in West Drayton sharing a house with BA crew

The trainer Si was identified as Gatwick based crew, they might have brought him in especially for the program. BA uses a mixture of trainers, some train as profession, but there are many cabin crew who are line trainers and do customer service training and also medical training.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Cabin Crew Training

Whilst i think most people with an iota of common sense can be trained in the issues of in-flight safety (which as we are told, is the cabin crew main role on an aircraft), I am not sure that in the very short training time available during basic training new recruits will be brought up to speed in the skills and knowledge BA expect for CW service.

So maybe they should sort the wheat from the chaff earlier in the course and start off with cabin service training? The trainees will clearly either have what is needed (in BA's eyes) or not. Then deal with the safety training later when trainees like Jodi have been "terminated" because they do not have a "Premium" language vocabulary or can not discuss the merits of a New World Sauvignon, rather than wasting their time and building their hopes up before what must be a devastating blow at the final hurdle.

PS Although in my experience the knowledge and skills of crew in CW is not any different to WT+ or WT: they show you me to my seat and serve me food and drinks. I have never had an in-depth chat on the merits of the wine offered- but next time I think I shall try!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
I often fly VS and have never been called 'mate' by a member of their staff in any of the 3 cabins. Their approach is (in my experience) very professional but also informal/non-stiff upper lip.

I think last nights was better than the previous edition of the programme. The crew training part continued to be a bit of a toe curler, with the whole 'premium language'. Plus letting Alice off for 'full fat coke' versus giving warnings to Jodie and the other girl could open up accusations of unfairness. The warning for the M25 fire was a joke, although TV may have edited it out of context.

I thought that the station managers in Chengdu and JFK were a good watch and interesting to see.

The young chap they parachuted in to JFK as well as preferential treatment of Alice did paint a bit of an image of 'if you're white, middle class and well spoken, BA is the place for you'.

Judging by social media, the series appears to have generated more negative sentiment towards BA than positive.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by passy777
OK - speculation about the M25 - but bearing in mind that it is in such close proximity to the training centre, I suspect that many used the motorway that morning and managed to get in on time.

Except the person giving the snapshot said they were aware of the lorry fire as many others had been late because of it too.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: BA GfL, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I am now writing in for compensation for my last JFK flight when the Captain and Co-Pilot missed the crew shuttle and turned up at JFK an hour late (resulting in flight being an hour late)

I gave up complaining to BA years ago (unless serious) or trying to extract xxxx miles in Ex-gratia service recovery but if that's the way they dish things out then I will have some back.

Finally, the cultural tone is just laughable and is so like the British Mgt style of the 70's. Not quite rotten to the core but certainly diseased

Last edited by moral_low_ground; Jun 10, 2014 at 1:04 am
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:16 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Sad to see Jodi go - but never thought she was the "right stuff" for the professional BA image. Never good when someone loses their job so is still not good.

Others have commented on it being ridiculous for getting the snapshots for being late (for an M25 RTA) and incorrect lipstick. My theory FWIW is BA had decided early on Jodi wasn't for them and therefore looked at any and all reasons they could to issue enough snapshots to terminate. This would explain of course why others escaped for seemingly comparable minor violations.

That might be considered an unfair and discriminatory way to dismiss someone. But in my experience, if you know someone is just not the right person then an employer will look for any and every reason to dismiss.

That's life, sometimes it is tough...
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: Meh
I found last nights edition interesting, as I travel to China a lot. Seting up a new station in China must be very challenging, and I hope WW sticks to his 'up to 6 more destinations'.

My other observation is flight crew. My view is that a % of them just do not give a sh!t anymore, and could not care less about service. I have had some recent shocking experiences on BA that drove me to CX for my last 4 trips to Asia. These crew need to go through re-training also.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:32 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Cabin Crew without lipstick is easier on the eye than a Trainer without a waist or a jawline.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
WW at the end... "I'd be disappointed if we didn't have 4,5 or even 6 new Chinese destinations within 10 years"
I'm not sure WW will want to be sending any more half empty 787 or 777 aircraft to China, if the loads for Chengdu are indeed as low as they are claimed to be.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by MrsBiggles
I live in West Drayton sharing a house with BA crew

The trainer Si was identified as Gatwick based crew, they might have brought him in especially for the program. BA uses a mixture of trainers, some train as profession, but there are many cabin crew who are line trainers and do customer service training and also medical training.
The trainer you mention used to be LGW based, but moved to MF when that started up. He's (afaik) a CSM and trainer so does fly as well.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Just watching on demand (have read about Jodi on this thread) and the simply stunning direction of this, trainer "some of you will not pass this course", camera pans to Jodi. Well it doesn't take an Einstein to work out what happens next.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Jimmie76..... My missus says exactly the same... Full fat coke!
Loads of people say it like that and i see nothing wrong with it. But if you are offering someone one saying full fat it could be received as a insult etc and the Person may feel guilty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.