Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by G-BUSI
Could not believe a snapshot was issued for being late when they knew that the M25 was closed due to a lorry fire. The poor girl could have been stuck where she was for hours.
Do they want the trainees to live in a tent out the front of Waterside to ensure they arrive on time no matter what!! Grossly unfair.
This was shocking to watch. I switched off in disgust.

What did BA expect her to do? The implication is that BA condones speeding to make up time if you're delayed. What other corners does this airline cut?

I am seriously worried tonight about BA's attitude to safety.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:58 pm

What a great opportunity wasted,( just like the snack box), very much anticipated but delivered too frozen and sweet to digest.
Makes me wonder what input the BBC producers had in this. It appears the whole project was handed over to BA's deluded PR dept. to run amok with trivial tattle.
Also as BA have been given three hours free publicity (and not all of it positive) and saved a fortune in advertising, any chance they could pass those savings on to the traveller in some way?

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Alice looks positively chavvy in comparison to the cabin crew shown on the clip from the 1980s, where they were training Concorde cabin crew. The Princess Di impression "when one is faced with blah blah blah one is blah blah blah" seemed rather out of place today.

Couldn't see her being too happy were she to be asked to provide World Traveller cabin service!

Giving cabin crew trainees a warning for being late due to a RTA blocking the motorway was outrageous IMO and portrayed the company in very poor light. Of course we get a given a story after multiple cutting room amendments, so can not infer this is the whole story.

Last edited by MaximusDecimusMeridius; Jun 9, 2014 at 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cumbrian

What did BA expect her to do? The implication is that BA condones speeding to make up time if you're delayed. What other corners does this airline cut?

And this contrasts with the letter BA sent to that Indian blogger where they used as an excuse that crew members were delayed due to a traffic accident! Were they disciplined ??

And as I said earlier no concern with her welfare not even a 'are you OK?' (though of course the BBC might have edited that out but somehow I get the feeling that none of the trainers actually cared about her.)
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cumbrian

Welcome to FT and the BA Board, Cumbrian!

I totally get your point here - and that of others - but wonder if there is another side. We don't really know the full details of what happened. Maybe she left home too late? Maybe it wasn't the first time? There may well have been more to it that we just don't know. However, much as it certainly appeared harsh based on what we saw, I can understand why BA might want to have close to zero tolerance policy on lateness (and other problems) during the training course. It sets a clear expectation from the start. I'm not entirely sure that it compromised safety or cut any corners either. But I can see where your concern comes from. ^
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by aristoph
Do BA really think they offer anything near the ideal service they claim to hold these trainees to? The "disconnect" is quite scary.
Totally agree with this. I don't have a problem with BA service and would define it as average vs other airlines on a typical journey, but I'm amazed that they put the staff through what is portrayed in this show and that it's apparently so "off market"
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by chistery
I did wonder what WW did whilst flying though. Does he mingle round the cabins and talk to pax or help out with announcements or anything?
They sometimes let him try... He must use a premium language.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Well, we've learned that BA has very high standards for uniforms.

...The bits that we can see...

Do adult brothers share underwear? It seems if one is a BA employee, they do.

And no snapshot received!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver
On my cabin crew training course we had a 20 minute session on uniform and grooming I think! I was never told off about lipstick! On board nobody ever asked me to apply more lippy! I do wonder if MF have different rules to the older crew? Are they grounded from flying if they have a spot because that isn't premium? Being sacked for not applying lipstick seems ludicrous.

I do recall at friend who worked briefly for easyJet being written up for not re-applying lipstick during the turnaround. We agreed that was silly as that was when easyJet had the old ugly uniform, it would have taken more than make-up to fix that!

Paying people a low salary and expecting to attract the posh sort seems silly too. Saying that I don't care what the crew sound like. Be friendly, be polite, do your job. I don't need to be fawned over and I don't need 'premium' language spouted at me and I really don't care if you don't have a perfect make-up application or not. Look well groomed and smart of course but I think the orange perma tan heavy make-up look looks worse!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Fruitcake
Welcome to FT and the BA Board, Cumbrian!

I totally get your point here - and that of others - but wonder if there is another side. We don't really know the full details of what happened. Maybe she left home too late? Maybe it wasn't the first time? There may well have been more to it that we just don't know. However, much as it certainly appeared harsh based on what we saw, I can understand why BA might want to have close to zero tolerance policy on lateness (and other problems) during the training course. It sets a clear expectation from the start. I'm not entirely sure that it compromised safety or cut any corners either. But I can see where your concern comes from. ^
Thanks Fruitcake!

Shame to start off on a negative. I have seen in other businesses where staff are bullied by management and subsequently they daren't challenge their managers in the future.

That's my concern in a nutshell. Cabin crew have to be able to challenge their managers when appropriate. They are the eyes and ears of the aircraft.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Must say I really enjoyed the part when they told us the cost of BA 001 starts from 3K when I think what I am paying for my trip in August.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Too easy to Monday Morning Quarterback the personnel decisions, so I'll leave that alone. But I thought this was a good demonstration of the strength of the outstations. I thought the Chengdu guy was very capable. NY obviously.

Laugh out Loud / Workers Comp claim moment for falling off my chair was the wine demonstration and the snippet along the lines of "premium wines are the opportunity for CW to show how distinguished...blah blah" In the context of the Pol Roger Winston Churchill/Mouton Rothschild knocking about on the Concorde clip - er yes. Modern day CW? Yur 'avin a lauf, Mate. (as Jodie might say).

Last edited by Purim; Jun 9, 2014 at 4:19 pm Reason: typos
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:26 pm

WW at the end... "I'd be disappointed if we didn't have 4,5 or even 6 new Chinese destinations within 10 years"
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by G-BUSI
Could not believe a snapshot was issued for being late when they knew that the M25 was closed due to a lorry fire. The poor girl could have been stuck where she was for hours.
Do they want the trainees to live in a tent out the front of Waterside to ensure they arrive on time no matter what!! Grossly unfair.
Some people might suggest it is unfair when all of the other delegates managed to get in on time (very likely travelling on a similar route) and one was allowed to arrive late without repercussions.

Maybe the others had the common sense to factor in the strong possibility that they could be delayed on the M25 during the early morning rush hour and timed their journey accordingly.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Speculation that anybody else from the course was using the M25.
How long do you factor in for a delay? If your journey time is for example 30 mins and you leave home 20 mins before that ? An hour earlier?
Or do you stay in a bunk house outside the crew training block during training?
I think this was more to do with
"We don't care why you were late, we are in charge, do as your told........or else"
I am very glad I don't work in an environment where the staff are treated like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.