FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1504375-very-british-airline-ba-documentary-airs-bbc2-mon-2-june.html)

AW73 Sep 19, 2013 4:22 am

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

BA set to star in major BBC documentary

Contracts have been agreed for the making of a TV documentary series about British Airways, which is due to be screened by the BBC next year.

The three-part series will be made for the BBC by Lion TV, which produced the ‘Engineering Giants’ programme about our long-haul fleet maintenance centre at Cardiff last year.

The planned documentary will consist of three one-hour programmes. The topics to be covered are likely to include the new aircraft, training for new recruits, setting up the Chengdu route, the operation in New York, and what is involved in managing aircraft, crew, airports and customers to fulfil BA's daily flight programme.

Paul Marston, director of communications, said: “This project gives us huge potential to show to a peak-time audience the professionalism, dedication and customer care that are at the heart of what we do every day.

“A big television venture can never be risk-free, and we will be dependent on very many colleagues across the business to ensure it goes well. The filming timescale is tight, so we hope everyone who becomes involved will give the project their full support. This is the first major documentary about British Airways for a quarter of a century, so we want to make sure we make the most of the opportunity.”

South London Bon Viveur Sep 19, 2013 4:35 am

Sounds interesting. Shame it's only three programmes in the series. They should also dedicate a programme to the goings on in the kitchen of the T5 Galleries Lounge and baggage hall :)

BahrainLad Sep 19, 2013 4:38 am

Originally Posted by AW73 (Post 21469712)
BA set to star in major BBC documentary

Contracts have been agreed for the making of a TV documentary series about British Airways, which is due to be screened by the BBC next year.

The three-part series will be made for the BBC by Lion TV, which produced the ‘Engineering Giants’ programme about our long-haul fleet maintenance centre at Cardiff last year.

The planned documentary will consist of three one-hour programmes. The topics to be covered are likely to include the new aircraft, training for new recruits, setting up the Chengdu route, the operation in New York, and what is involved in managing aircraft, crew, airports and customers to fulfil BA's daily flight programme.

Paul Marston, director of communications, said: “This project gives us huge potential to show to a peak-time audience the professionalism, dedication and customer care that are at the heart of what we do every day.

“A big television venture can never be risk-free, and we will be dependent on very many colleagues across the business to ensure it goes well. The filming timescale is tight, so we hope everyone who becomes involved will give the project their full support. This is the first major documentary about British Airways for a quarter of a century, so we want to make sure we make the most of the opportunity.”

Excellent. Hopefully it will be as good as the seminal "Airline" BBC four-parter from 1990:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ug3tiLeffo

lhrsinsyd Sep 19, 2013 5:25 am

Would love to see 'Enhancement Team' in Waterside too.

themapelligroup Sep 19, 2013 6:04 am

Excellent news! I watched yesterday nat geo's documentary on Dubai airport and thought I'd like to see something like that about BA.
Last year though they made a documentary about the retrofitting and maintenance of a 747.

HMPS Sep 19, 2013 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur (Post 21469738)
Sounds interesting. Shame it's only three programmes in the series. They should also dedicate a programme to the goings on in the kitchen of the T5 Galleries Lounge and baggage hall :)

Originally Posted by lhrsinsyd (Post 21469864)
Would love to see 'Enhancement Team' in Waterside too.

Based on threads and posts, hopefully they will contact both "for & Against" members. Keep it balanced.

williemaykit Sep 19, 2013 11:15 am

<rant>

Let's hope it's not narrated by the guy who did World's Busiest Airport. He must have had a button with the phrase "World's Busiest Airport" recorded cause he must have said it 600 times in one episode.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/worlds...des/airport-47

</rant>

bryand83 Sep 19, 2013 12:15 pm

In the states there was a similar situation for worlds most dangerous airports. San Diego certainly surprised me.

flyingcrazy Sep 19, 2013 2:01 pm

Brilliant ^

I used to love watching BBC Airport and Airline when I had the time. I have always wanted an British Airways version of 'Airline'.

jcm9000 Sep 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by williemaykit (Post 21471393)
<rant>

Let's hope it's not narrated by the guy who did World's Busiest Airport. He must have had a button with the phrase "World's Busiest Airport" recorded cause he must have said it 600 times in one episode.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/worlds...des/airport-47

</rant>

Heh i watched that with my wife recently and that is the only thing she remembers about it!! Same with my mo-in-law!

flyingcrazy Sep 19, 2013 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by jcm9000 (Post 21472469)
Heh i watched that with my wife recently and that is the only thing she remembers about it!! Same with my mo-in-law!

They really need to review this.

By stating HKG is the world busiest airport, they are lying.

BBC Airport and Heathrow Live were honest by stating LHR was the 'world's busiest international airport' which is true by measuring pax flying on international flights. Otherwise ATL winds hands down by being busiest airport in terms if pax and movements.

jcm9000 Sep 19, 2013 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy (Post 21472519)
They really need to review this.

By stating HKG is the world busiest airport, they are lying.

BBC Airport and Heathrow Live were honest by stating LHR was the 'world's busiest international airport' which is true by measuring pax flying on international flights. Otherwise ATL winds hands down by being busiest airport in terms if pax and movements.

I think during the program they did clarify exactly how they figured it was the worlds busiest (only watched it a couple of weeks ago), but dang it was annoying! Then again, i suppose it is really reality TV, being the death of good TV the world over!

williemaykit Sep 19, 2013 4:57 pm

OT - The World's Busiest Airport were basing it on passenger and freight movements

flyingcrazy Sep 20, 2013 4:20 am

Originally Posted by jcm9000 (Post 21472557)
I think during the program they did clarify exactly how they figured it was the worlds busiest (only watched it a couple of weeks ago), but dang it was annoying! Then again, i suppose it is really reality TV, being the death of good TV the world over!

I am watching it now, and it is very very annoying.

flyingcrazy Sep 20, 2013 4:21 am

Originally Posted by williemaykit (Post 21473082)
OT - The World's Busiest Airport were basing it on passenger and freight movements

HKG is the world's busiest airport is terms of freight movements but not passenger movements. Pax movements would be ATL.

However by constantly stating HKG is the 'worlds busiest airport' they are misleading the audience IMO.