Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
BA New York is not being run by an inexperienced boy

he is there to gain experience under the wing of a very experienced manager that's how it works
Have you ever worked in an airport? It would be sensible to train him in London first then send him over. First the skills then learning the cultural differences
I have and most people need to know how an airport runs and who does what, it was apparent he didn't know who did what or have anything constructive to say in the meeting.

I had to laugh when he told someone to mention duty free...
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
Originally Posted by TheoAlvin
Well this has put me off BA in New York, run by a boy with no experience, surely they could have trained him in Heathrow first! I used to work at Heathrow during crisis situations and the managers need to know how an airport works and how to trouble shoot before it happens... definitely flying on a USA based carrier into NY now.

It is apparent it is whether your face fits and they did look to find fault with Jodie, I am sure she will find another airline that is more fun to work for. They do use cabin crew ( hardly qualified) during the interview process, many years ago I applied and got to the 3rd interview out of 4 but it was apparent the cabin crew who were selecting and assessing us with no training picked people they liked and if they face fitted. They don't like assertive people who are a threat to their jobs but people they can mould and do as they are told.

Jodie will hopefully find a job on Virgin and Alice will get bored of being treated as a minion after 18 months and they will try to offer her something in head office training to keep her...
The snapshot for being late because of an accident which other members of staff were caught up in was unfair, what if she had an accident herself trying to get to work. No job is worth it especially as public transport was not an option.

The class barrier is all too evident, so much focus on the small percentage of F and CW passengers who probably don't watch the show indicating they give everyone else a sub standard service.

What BA need to realize its not just about standards but understanding people want to be treated as customers regardless of what they have paid.
There are lots of inaccuracies in your post.

The selectors at BA have extensive training in selection skills and in anti-discrimination legislation. Some of them are crew (currently Mixed Fleet CSM) but also management and external recruitment consultants are used, usually one cabin crew member and one from either management or a recruitment consultant in the main interview section.
They use a specific criteria to mark candidates on and someone just liking you will not get you a job in BA as it depends on what you say and how you act in the scenarios and the group excesses. Your ability to work in a team, empathise with customers and your whole attitude to customer service is all taken into account using actual examples from talking to you and watching you.

People who fail the interview often make up stuff to justify why they did not get in which is understandable and part of human nature. Of all those interviewed only a small number get accepted each day.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
There are lots of inaccuracies in your post.

The selectors at BA have extensive training in selection skills and in anti-discrimination legislation. Some of them are crew (currently Mixed Fleet CSM) but also management and external recruitment consultants are used, usually one cabin crew member and one from either management or a recruitment consultant in the main interview section.
They use a specific criteria to mark candidates on and someone just liking you will not get you a job in BA as it depends on what you say and how you act in the scenarios and the group excesses. Your ability to work in a team, empathise with customers and your whole attitude to customer service is all taken into account using actual examples from talking to you and watching you.

People who fail the interview often make up stuff to justify why they did not get in which is understandable and part of human nature. Of all those interviewed only a small number get accepted each day.
Your post is very predictable and your opinion. It is apparent others have this opinion and not only me. I have many friends who work for BA and those who have and left who tell me their experiences. That is your opinion, but also having had worked in recruitment I will hold up my hand that appearances make a difference and also whether I liked them and anyone who denies this is lying IMHO.

Personally I did the interviews out of curiosity because my friends were doing it ( I was very young and it was last century), but also many of my friends who work as cabin crew get disillusioned after a few years.

I think the point is that the job is no longer as prestigious as they think it is.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
Your post is very predictable and your opinion. It is apparent others have this opinion and not only me. I have many friends who work for BA and those who have and left who tell me their experiences. That is your opinion, but also having had worked in recruitment I will hold up my hand that appearances make a difference and also whether I liked them and anyone who denies this is lying IMHO.

Personally I did the interviews out of curiosity because my friends were doing it ( I was very young and it was last century), but also many of my friends who work as cabin crew get disillusioned after a few years.

I think the point is that the job is no longer as prestigious as they think it is.
I will defer to your obvious extensive knowledge about aviation, BA recruitment and Airport Management that you have gleaned from your friends.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Lolbert
Interested to see my own face on board one of the aircraft in last night's show!
Wow - which one? Do you remember them filming?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yet BA can afford to be choosy due to the number of applicants they get applying for the role despite the financial rewards not being as good as they once were.
Why Jodi was given a place on the course has left me somewhat baffled though. I was giving her the benefit of doubt after the first episode but her performance last night showed her attitude was not right...she was a bit scary to be honest.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Welcome to FT Cumbrian

Originally Posted by Cumbrian
I switched off in disgust.
A very British response indeed. ^
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:36 am
uk1
Suspended

They use a specific criteria to mark candidates on and someone just liking you will not get you a job in BA as it depends on what you say and how you act in the scenarios and the group excesses.
I am really pleased that you are marked on how you perform in the group excesses! Too little attention is given to this important part off-duty CC's responsibilities.

I'm good at this. How do I join?

Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:42 am

So you've passed and failed people on if you like them in an interview rather than their suitability to do the job?

To me that's a very unprofessional, and a very untrue statement.

I work with people that I may not particularly like but I won't deny they are very good at their job.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
I will defer to your obvious extensive knowledge about aviation, BA recruitment and Airport Management that you have gleaned from your friends.
ha ha ha ^

My tea is currently residing on and in my keyboard.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:49 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by worjackie14
So you've passed and failed people on if you like them in an interview rather than their suitability to do the job?

To me that's a very unprofessional, and a very untrue statement.

I work with people that I may not particularly like but I won't deny they are very good at their job.
An important tool of any manager recruiting people is listening to instinct and intuition as well as well-reasoned logic. Both are as important as each other.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Well this has put me off BA in New York, run by a boy with no experience, surely they could have trained him in Heathrow first! I used to work at Heathrow during crisis situations and the managers need to know how an airport works and how to trouble shoot before it happens... definitely flying on a USA based carrier into NY now.
I wonder if you have actually experienced the BA operation at JFK? I and many other frequent users think it's one of the best on the network. Compact terminal, great staff, good premium setup with dedicated checkin and security, willingness to bend the rules for mutual benefit (e.g. moving passengers to earlier flights if operations later in the day are going tango-uniform) and so on.

Apart from the slightly grim F lounge and crap wi-fi, it's excellent.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Cumbrian
I switched off in disgust.
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
A very British response indeed. ^
I'm never watching the BBC ever again!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:05 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Paralytic
I'm never watching the BBC ever again!
On my TV, ITV is the next channel up and I'm giving them a miss as well. Far too close for comfort.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Wow - which one? Do you remember them filming?
Yes, I was interviewed for the programme too but that hasn't been shown/used yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.