Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
A clip from the third and final episode is now online:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p020myyv
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Why was the British Airways logo pixelated on the back of the Chengdu staff? In only some scenes?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Don't the Chinese have that pernicious habit?
slightly OT, i have been able to successfully approximate a margarita and a cosmo in Club and first LHR lounges; they all have fresh limes, cointreau, tequila, vodka and cranberry juice. Only for academic research purposes of course
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skipness1E
Why was the British Airways logo pixelated on the back of the Chengdu staff? In only some scenes?
I wondered if it was to do with advertising on the BBC and product placement. I don't know the rules or regulations but maybe the logo is only allowed to be shown for a certain number of minutes during the show. If its shown more then they would fall foul of product placement/BBC Trust non advertising rules. I noticed it in the first episode as well.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
I wondered if it was to do with advertising on the BBC and product placement. I don't know the rules or regulations but maybe the logo is only allowed to be shown for a certain number of minutes during the show. If its shown more then they would fall foul of product placement/BBC Trust non advertising rules. I noticed it in the first episode as well.
Correct. Despite the programme being about BA the BBC cannot show too much prominence to the company name and logo hence how the commentator says 'the airline' a lot rather than 'BA' or 'British Airways' and variations there of.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Yes BA own and manage T7, in fact that's the only terminal in the world where they do both.
Unfortunately BA don't own the Terminal - it was certainly built for BOAC back in the early 1970s but I think the lease runs out next year.

There were some rumours flying about that a move to T8 with AA was being mooted - with all the predictable chat about lounges and whether BA would have its own or whether we would all be slumming it in the AA facilities.

What a shame that would be - and despite all the flimflam about premium service, we all know BA likes to save a few dollars here and there. So a potential enhancement of epic proportions on the horizon.

TBH not sure what the latest is on that score, but no BA don't actually own the terminal AFAIK.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC, HHonors, East Coast Mainline, Sheraton
I think JFK T7 used to be jointly owned/leased by UA/BA then at some point BA took full control with UA remaining in the terminal. I did hear that because of the retail outlets and more importantly the third party ground handling operation T7 runs at a standalone profit for BA.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
Unfortunately BA don't own the Terminal - it was certainly built for BOAC back in the early 1970s but I think the lease runs out next year.

There were some rumours flying about that a move to T8 with AA was being mooted - with all the predictable chat about lounges and whether BA would have its own or whether we would all be slumming it in the AA facilities
Having experienced both T7 and T8 recently I must say I preferred the Flagship lounge in T8 to the Club and First lounge in T7! The former was much brighter and the wifi was far faster
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:05 pm

300 segments?

I just finished watching the two episodes on iPlayer and read a few comments here. With regards to the two F passengers in the first episode, wasn't anyone else surprised when it was mentioned that the guy does 300 segments per year? I've seen people on FT boast 1 million miles in a year, but never 300 segments. A bit of an exaggeration there?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:19 pm

Last edited by adrianjc32; Apr 2, 2017 at 7:17 am
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Of all those interviewed only a small number get accepted each day.
This is poppycock. From the numbers given in the program it doesn't sound very selective at all. Everybody loves to tout how they're super selective and only hire the top 1% or top 0.1% or whatever.

What they're not understanding is this, what do the other 99% go on to do? They take more interviews. The 1% they take stop interviewing but the other 99% keep interviewing and interviewing with more and more employers. In other words the people showing up at your door are far from an unbiased sample.

It doesn't take a large group of people going around being rejected everywhere to make everyone appear super selective. So you can be hiring only the top 1% of the applicants you see but that could translate into accepting anyone in the top 60% of potential employees or worse.

Joel explained it better than I did long ago: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2005/01/27.html

Last edited by zkzkz; Jun 10, 2014 at 5:59 pm
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zkzkz
This is poppycock.
But a damn sight easier to believe than your explanation.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by Cumbrian
This was shocking to watch. I switched off in disgust.

What did BA expect her to do? The implication is that BA condones speeding to make up time if you're delayed. What other corners does this airline cut?

I am seriously worried tonight about BA's attitude to safety.
This is a very good point.

I used to be involved in a Championship football club. One of our rules used to be "if you are going to be late (for training/match) then let us know. Do not speed or put your safety or anyone else's safety in danger. Being safe is more important than being late". If there was a problem was a particular player then it got sorted out on the sidelines - as it were. To sack someone for an incident on the motorway where they could have driven at 150mph and made the cut-off is negligent of the employer
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by zkzkz
This is poppycock. From the numbers given in the program it doesn't sound very selective at all. Everybody loves to tout how they're super selective and only hire the top 1% or top 0.1% or whatever.
But they didn't say they only hire the top 1% or .1%

If I recall the numbers they said something like they get 10,000 applications a year of which they interviewed a lesser number and of that offered places to something like 100 of which we saw a cohort of ~10 in one training programme.

However super selective they are they can only select from those that apply.

They could very well reject excellent applications simply based on a reading of the application forms.

It was clear from the programme that they still make mistakes in who they select for the courses.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by koroleon
I just finished watching the two episodes on iPlayer and read a few comments here. With regards to the two F passengers in the first episode, wasn't anyone else surprised when it was mentioned that the guy does 300 segments per year? I've seen people on FT boast 1 million miles in a year, but never 300 segments. A bit of an exaggeration there?
Yes, I was very surprised at that. I expect he must be a huge source of revenue for BA, hence a spot in their infomercial.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.