Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by passy777
Some people might suggest it is unfair when all of the other delegates managed to get in on time (very likely travelling on a similar route) and one was allowed to arrive late without repercussions.

Maybe the others had the common sense to factor in the strong possibility that they could be delayed on the M25 during the early morning rush hour and timed their journey accordingly.
But how much time extra should crew allow? Some road accidents take hours to clear and crew cannot simply arrive hours early before every flight when they have a long day ahead of them.

I was late a couple of times when I was crew. One was my car breaking down and another was when I was getting the train and there were two hour delays on the line once my journey had started. Both times I had allowed plenty of time. I rang in, came into work and was placed on standby. There are normally plenty of crew on standby.

There really was no compassion shown. I am very very glad I no longer work for BA and from what I have heard from friends who are still there I am even more relieved.

Interesting on how they kept going on about the premium experience when frequently entire planes appear to be held together by duct tape and the food offerings are so poor? I would like to see BA fix those issues rather than fuss if one crew member is a little late on one occasion due to a road accident.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by passy777
Some people might suggest it is unfair when all of the other delegates managed to get in on time (very likely travelling on a similar route) and one was allowed to arrive late without repercussions.

Maybe the others had the common sense to factor in the strong possibility that they could be delayed on the M25 during the early morning rush hour and timed their journey accordingly.
You have to look at from the perspective of the airline. If the Crew arrived late for whatever reason and delayed the aircraft what is the financial implication ?

At this stage of their career they have to install the values which are going to be important moving forward. If someone thinks that they can be late once then they may think that this type of pattern can continue.

I agree that it was a factor which could not be controlled but the early days of a career the milestones have to be set.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Speculation that anybody else from the course was using the M25.
How long do you factor in for a delay? If your journey time is for example 30 mins and you leave home 20 mins before that ? An hour earlier?
Or do you stay in a bunk house outside the crew training block during training?
I think this was more to do with
"We don't care why you were late, we are in charge, do as your told........or else"
I am very glad I don't work in an environment where the staff are treated like this.
OK - speculation about the M25 - but bearing in mind that it is in such close proximity to the training centre, I suspect that many used the motorway that morning and managed to get in on time.

Maybe BA look at these sessions in the same way as a job interview - irrespective of the cause of being delayed, it just looks bad when you arrive late when all other candidates have managed to keep to schedule.

Whether we agree with them or not - the strict requirements for meticulous timekeeping are there at the start of play and candidates are made fully aware of the consequenses if they arrive late.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
why was it OK for Alice to say 'full fat coke' and not get a snapshot??

It was hardly 'premium' language was it?

Just makes BA look even biased to a certain type of staff.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
yes and it the hypocrisy. .Posh Alice got away with using 'full fat coke' which to me is worse than not having any lippy on or arriving late because of a traffic accident (no concern over the welfare of the 'delegate' just a 'your late and we don't care even though we know why')

I think I;d have liked to have been served on a flight by Jodi - she was enthusiastic and would have been great with the passengers - unlike the young chap they sent to JFK who at times wasn;t using that oh so special 'premium' language and at times spoke worse English than Jodi.
Erm on my next F trip which is coming up soon I will be asking for a "full fat Coke" and the one after that as well. I don't give a flying (pun not intended) fudge if it's not premium language, it's always been my way of describing it and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Jimmie76..... My missus says exactly the same... Full fat coke!

Premium afternoon tea anyone? Dried up sandwich and dinky scone.......
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Just finished watching it on BBC Scotland and whilst I thought some bits were good some aspects should have been off limits the programme, crew training being one of them.
Jimmie76..... My missus says exactly the same... Full fat coke!
Clearly someone with taste. ^

Premium afternoon tea anyone? Dried up sandwich and dinky scone.......
Try ordering a VLML in F, you will get the Club one, once served in the cellophane wrapping and Club World written on the cardboard. Next to the finger sandwiches you can see the difference very clearly
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Anyone wandering why the BA logo was randomly blurred out in various scenes? There is one scene where the logo is blurred on one guy's high-vis but not the others!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Schwann
Anyone wandering why the BA logo was randomly blurred out in various scenes? There is one scene where the logo is blurred on one guy's high-vis but not the others!
I'm watching Watermen and they've done exactly the same thing
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Erm on my next F trip which is coming up soon I will be asking for a "full fat Coke" and the one after that as well. I don't give a flying (pun not intended) fudge if it's not premium language, it's always been my way of describing it and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.
Jimmie YOU can call it what you like but BA obviously don't want their cabin crew to call it that.

They were the ones who said Alice shouldn't have used it when they were discussing her assessment of the exercise so they obviously have a thing about it.

I don't care what they call it what annoyed me (and others) was that it is clearly against the training centre rules to call it 'full fat' yet Alice wasn't disciplined for it whereas they certainly would have if an other 'delegate' had.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's part is the rules not to give 'undue prominence' to the name of a company featured in a TV show. Yes it's about BA but there are limits on how often they can show the logo and name the company.

Ditto on 'The Watermen' Programme Jimmie mentioned
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I loved the clock with CTU under it.

Could of really had jacks back or something

cs
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Once again BA have done a top job of embarrassing themselves "proper style" with what has been shown in their training department. Utterly pretentious load of tosh. I hope they're watching and take note.. but then again maybe not.

It was interesting however to see the manager in China/HK and also the older chap at JFK.. that made for some more interesting viewing. They both seemed very competent.

Last edited by Schwann; Jun 9, 2014 at 7:36 pm
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I thought this episode was better than the first. The Chengdu and JFK content was interesting.
Jodi didn't improve enough so had to go. I was waiting for her to turn around at the end and give a two finger salute to the camera.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, former DL Gold
It was interesting however to see the manager in China/HK and also the older chap at JFK.. that made for some more interesting viewing. They both seemed very competent.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I thought this episode was better than the first. The Chengdu and JFK content was interesting.
Absolutely agree! The clips with the CTU and JFK station managers were great! Must have been a stressful time for the Wyman guy - holding down the fort at HKG while starting up CTU. Thought he might jump when they filmed him going up to the roof of HKG hah.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
I'm not a big fan of BA at all (quite the opposite) but their HK staff are very helpful

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.