Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite, Avis President's Club
Totally agree with you Sixth Freedom....

I would rather employ someone who has flown as MF for three years rather than a grad in a fairly useless degree who is wet behind the ears....

On another note... Just had the misfortune of enduring an irksome scratch on the wardrobe in 2A on the way to HKG on XLEE yesterday. Ruined the whole flight for me! At least there was no duck tape holding the cabin together!!!
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jonnywishbone
On another note... Just had the misfortune of enduring an irksome scratch on the wardrobe in 2A on the way to HKG on XLEE yesterday. Ruined the whole flight for me! At least there was no duck tape holding the cabin together!!!
As long as you reported it, I'm sure it would have been fixed by now.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: F
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
If I had a daughter I would encourage her to spend a few years as cabin crew rather than or before going to university. I hope I would be happy to 'top-up' the salary as required and in the manner of doting Dads worldwide.

I think that time spent as cabin crew is still an excellent investment for a young lady whatever her background for the following reasons:

i) see the world, including "difficult" countries and exposure to "strange" cultures
ii) university of life - after a few years those girls are really strong mentally
iii) learn how to deal with difficult people, both passengers and managers
iv) opportunity to marry an airline executive or captain.

If my daughter then wanted to be a lawyer, doctor or some such then she could apply to university and be in a strong position for jobs afterwards due to her life skills gained as crew. If she wanted to be an airline executive then opportunities would be open to her at the airline.
And what would you encourage your son to do?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:03 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by redshift27
sorry can't resist:

be merry, go forth and co-pilot (okay, that last one may be wrong!)

I'll get my coat...
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:22 am

I also found the whole scene about the woman who is so obsessed with a tiny scratch laughable. The show is just one big ad for BA.

Perhaps she is so busy on her hands and knees that she does not look up to spot issues with the ceiling in the cabin... This was above my F seat on a flight to SEA a couple of weeks ago. Masking tape which I imagine would have held a spacer and sponge hanging down... Poor old girl would have a meltdown if she saw this, or perhaps one is less concerned when not followed by a BBC camera crew

Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by redshift27
If he was good with his hands, something like a welding apprenticeship.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by ba bob
I also found the whole scene about the woman who is so obsessed with a tiny scratch laughable. The show is just one big ad for BA.
Not sure why this is so surprising to everyone. She was talking about doing the acceptance check before delivery. No doubt they want a perfect looking and functioning aircraft before paying out and then checking that all the snags were sorted before the press are let on the first flight. Presumably, later when they have have to pay to repair damage and possibly take it out of service, she gets less picky.

Originally Posted by kanderson1965

Originally Posted by ACARS View Post
Nope. The series was named "Airline - Inside British Airways" it was broadcast in 1990.

Episode 1

What an excellent show. It shows the way that documentaries have developed over the years from being fairly narrowly focussed but with depth, to the modern trend of being more broadly focussed but rather shallow so as not to alienate the perceived audience. Oh how clever we must have been in those days to be able to assimilate all the information presented.
Really enjoyed that. Amazing how much TV making has changed. So nice not keep being told what we have just seen and what's coming up. I wonder how much cheaper to make now with so much less content?

Last edited by BalbC; Jun 6, 2014 at 7:37 am
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BalbC
Not sure why this is so surprising to everyone. She was talking about doing the acceptance check before delivery. No doubt they want a perfect looking and functioning aircraft before paying out and then checking that all the snags were sorted before the press are let on the first flight. Presumably, later when they have have to pay to repair damage and take possibly take it out of service, she gets less picky.
That's what I said.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
I think we should all start reporting every scratch on every BA aircraft we fly, referencing the BA show as part of that. Would be quite funny to see the responses
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:30 am

My PA is 23, uses the word "like" too much and I often have to correct her spelling, but she is quick as a hiccup, learns extremely quickly, and remembers absolutely everything. In fact, like most women she is an expert at putting me in my place when needed!
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
If he was good with his hands, something like a welding apprenticeship.
Are you joking, or suggesting that cabin crew is 'women's work'?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:43 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
Ok mush, you know me better than I do myself....that's amazing init! Catch you later, just arrived at Portsmuff and Sarfsea station so gotta go.
Originally Posted by callum9999
For someone who despises that way of speaking so much you deem anyone who speaks that way "unworthy" of representing Britain, you've spent an awfully long time typing like it!

I don't know if your "comedy" is trying to distract me from your horribly judgemental views, but if so it's not working!
Although I note you are using about 2-3 times the words I do in responding each time. Sorry, who did you say it was spending an "awfully long time typing"?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I think we should all start reporting every scratch on every BA aircraft we fly, referencing the BA show as part of that. Would be quite funny to see the responses
Should we start a scratch thread?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by BalbC
Not sure why this is so surprising to everyone. She was talking about doing the acceptance check before delivery. No doubt they want a perfect looking and functioning aircraft before paying out and then checking that all the snags were sorted before the press are let on the first flight. Presumably, later when they have have to pay to repair damage and possibly take it out of service, she gets less picky.
?
If I remember it correctly she was doing some of these checks immediately before the inaugural flight but AFTER the BA staff training exercises so a bit late to be identifying faults like scratches etc as they could have been caused by BA staff rather than a defect on the delivered plane.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:54 am
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Grande Annee
What you have is an east London accent, not an Essex one. I was born in Chelmsford, and I do not have an accent like you or your daughters. My parents were both born in Chelmsford and have lived there all there lives and they have what I would call a proper Essex accent which is quite similar to a Suffolk accent. Nothing like what you call an "Essex accent".
I didn't realise you could tell exactly what our accents sound like from reading what I type, how clever!

We live about as close to Chelmsford as we do City Airport so we probably have an interesting combination of both accents.

I'm really not bothered by regional accents that CC have, it's their ability to do their job to a high standard that's important.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.