Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:15 am

I wonder how much is invested by BA for each new recruit? When they get their "four strikes", why isn't there some sort of remedial help? If that much money was invested in them...just sounds like a waste.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by CraigWatson
^^ This ^^

I'd actually quite enjoy watching an entire series on the infrastructure side of BA - trying to keep the 20-year-old 747s in reasonable condition is bound to take up at least 2 or 3 episodes!
This may be of interest (unless you've already seen it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_yHtfGH0nI&feature=kp
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:32 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by BOH
Don't think Jodie is made of the right stuff for BA,

She says "like" far too much and "fink" rather than "think"
I agree, she doesn't seem a good fit for BA, her main reason for applying came about when she was on the beach in Ibiza and thought it would be fun to travel! much more suited to Easyjet, but I am sure we will see her on Celebrity Big Brother soon.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:04 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by fdemoulin
I agree, she doesn't seem a good fit for BA, her main reason for applying came about when she was on the beach in Ibiza and thought it would be fun to travel! much more suited to Easyjet, but I am sure we will see her on Celebrity Big Brother soon.
Yes, but bizarrely BA felt she was suitable to be portrayed as a typical face of "Britishness" - after all this sentiment is what is in the program title

I despair at some of the way of speaking that passes as completely normal nowadays. This does include my own daughter who is 17 who also uses the word "like" in totally the wrong way at times. Thankfully she can say "think" etc correctly and doesn't drop the "t" at the end of a word but this "like" word inserted into every sentence is real irritating.

I heard this on the train the other week from a stunning teenage girl on the phone to someone.

"Well I was like walking towards her right and she was like just ignoring me so I fort, well stuff her, she can just fink what she likes. Der yer know wot I mean like, I fink she can just stuff right off, silly caa. I bet she is like now shi-ing herself don't cha fink "

Classic case of lovely girl till she opened her mouth Sadly it is heard so much on TV nowadays (and in the last 20 years) it passes for normal now. I listened to the ex-soccer player Ian Wright on some footy phone in the other day and that guy does not know the letter "t" exists in a word......he is colloquially known as "Wrigh-eee" - emphasis on the missing "t".

Rant over - but I really don't think BA should be portrayed as Eastenders in the sky.

And if you don't like what I have said like, I also fink you can all just stuff off like

Last edited by BOH; Jun 5, 2014 at 7:10 am
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by BOH
Yes, but bizarrely BA felt she was suitable to be portrayed as a typical face of "Britishness" - after all this sentiment is what is in the program title

I despair at some of the way of speaking that passes as completely normal nowadays. This does include my own daughter who is 17 who also uses the word "like" in totally the wrong way at times. Thankfully she can say "think" etc correctly and doesn't drop the "t" at the end of a word but this "like" word inserted into every sentence is real irritating.

I heard this on the train the other week from a stunning teenage girl on the phone to someone.

"Well I was like walking towards her right and she was like just ignoring me so I fort, well stuff her, she can just fink what she likes. Der yer know wot I mean like, I fink she can just stuff right off, silly caa. I bet she is like now shi-ing herself don't cha fink "

Classic case of lovely girl till she opened her mouth Sadly it is heard so much on TV nowadays (and in the last 20 years) it passes for normal now. I listened to the ex-soccer player Ian Wright on some footy phone in the other day and that guy does not know the letter "t" exists in a word......he is colloquially known as "Wrigh-eee" - emphasis on the missing "t".

Rant over - but I really don't think BA should be portrayed as Eastenders in the sky.

And if you don't like what I have said like, I also fink you can all just stuff off like
^
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BOH

Jesus wept
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by happymom2008
I wonder how much is invested by BA for each new recruit? When they get their "four strikes", why isn't there some sort of remedial help? If that much money was invested in them...just sounds like a waste.
completely agree
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:35 am

And yet there has to be a cut off at some point whereby a candidate or recruit etc does actually fail. At what point do you stop throwing training at someone that is not making the grade? The same applies to pilots and engineers, sometimes there comes a point at which the training organisation, be it BA or any other has to say, I'm sorry but you are not cut out for this job.

It is always going to be a tragedy for the individual involved but not everyone has what it takes to be a (insert any job) and they fall by the wayside.

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
Originally Posted by dc2447
Jesus wept
Like, you mean, like he was, like, upset like?

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by CraigWatson
trying to keep the 20-year-old 747s in reasonable condition is bound to take up at least 2 or 3 episodes!
I presume you mean keeping the aircraft flying safely. A show about keeping the interiors clean would take a few minutes.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by BOH

Her speech is nowhere near as bad as you are implying it is...

I also think your first line is incredibly offensive. Do strong regional accents also disqualify you from being allowed to be "a typical face of Britishness" (whatever that's supposed to mean...)?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'll bet you 10,000 Avios Jodi doesn't make it past round two.
All the signs are that she'll fail however that's the way these docusoaps are made to keep the viewers in suspense so they'll keep coming back.

I expect her to make it through although she needs to relax and smile a bit more.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by BOH

I like what you have said 100% ^
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: All the best ones.
The point of the four snapshots is for all the trainees to put their best efforts into the training in order to keep standards high. The British are famous for judging and stereotyping a person harshly for poor elocution, and forming a negative opinion about that persons character or lifestyle. While someone with a perfect speaking manner is often deemed to be snooty, aloof, and trying to make themselves superior. Think of Hyacinth Bucket from "Keeping Up Appearances." When you fly BA you will hear all forms of regional accents and elocution imperfections. My favorite accents are the old time BA 747 pilots called "Nigel's", who tend to speak 1950's forms of English which can be reassuring that they have had a lot of education and experience. It's human nature, we just can't help judging people by the way they speak based on our preconceptions. Even our pets are judging us based on what they hear us say.

I was just sorry to see that the scratches inspection lady is not allowed near the ratty old 747s. I think the 747s must have their own inspector; someone like Worzel Gummidge subcontracted from Steptoe and Son. Hopefully he will appear in the next episode.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
A wonder if those on hear complaining about the way Jodie speaks have ever considered what others think of them when they speak. All our accents are regional to someone from a different part of the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.