Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Originally Posted by tishooo
We got a chuckle out of the galley chat regarding the 'Pinot Grizz' on the wine list.

Did anyone else notice the poster that was fuzzed out near the beginning - it seemed they showed the same poster a little later, and all it comprised was BA's logo and 'Welcome' - weird that it was obscured.
Yep. She also murdered another cepage but I can't remember exactly...! Made me laugh.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by FIRSTclstraveller
Well I did think when I posted that comment to make an addendum regarding White Merlot. As you may know (assuming you are a wine buff) that White Merlot is a nickname for a rose style wine made from Merlot grapes. Either way, it would have a rose colour so no embarrassment required.
not always

see here
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:45 pm

Finally, watched the first episode on YouTube. Impressed with the training.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by NoTiersForMe
TunnelBear. Lovely little programme with a nice name too.
As I posted earlier, it was on YouTube.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Chandler Bing
I must say my jaw dropped when I saw the amount of slap on her, makes some of the girls on a Saturday night in Liverpool look positively plain!

Did anyone else see the (it was on National Geographic I think last year) series about Dubai Airport? They had a feature about Emirates' CC training, and they were taught exactly how to apply make up, all had the same pearl earrings and the same standard of slap on their faces. They all looked so elegant, quite how you'd expect when you picture the times when flying still had glamour.
Way too much blue eyeshadow.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
When they came out with 'snapshots' I had visions of them using a time machine to roll people back to their prior state to undo the damage of failing

A few seconds later I figured out ... they were talking about and have subsequently added the word, and many other phrases from the show, to my buzzword bingo list.

The overnight engineering was far more interesting. Less makeup, less training, less irrelevant food talk, and much much more engineering would be a perfect episode 2!

Oh, and 10,000 free Avios for anyone who watches all the episodes
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
As well as the cringeworthiness of "contracting with each other" (does that mean the crew all go on a team diet?), it was with much frustration that their chef only got to try the ovens in F on the A380 for real when he was on the plane on its first revenue flight to LAX.

This is one of the two fundamental problems with the catering in BA F. As well as the chef not having the same equipment on the ground to test his creations with, I also noticed that the diner on his own testing the food on the ground was, just like the Gatwick telly program a couple of years back, someone who wouldn't know a croquette potato from a confit duck.

And by the way, coincidentally I had confit duck a couple of weeks ago LHR-DFW in F and somewhat unsurprisingly, it was a sorry tale of overdone grey chewy carpet. May be that croquette potato would have been nicer.

(On the plus side I had a yummy braised beef with a spicy sauce JNB-LHR last week in F, but sadly not enough sauce).
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Howard Long
As well as the cringeworthiness of "contracting with each other" (does that mean the crew all go on a team diet?), it was with much frustration that their chef only got to try the ovens in F on the A380 for real when he was on the plane on its first revenue flight to LAX.
Didn't he try it on the ground test "flight"? He wasn't on the revenue flight.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Airline was an ITV show (set at Britannia and then Easy Jet) from 1998

Do you mean 'Airport' set at LHR but that was predominantly a BBC1 show (though the first series was on BBC2) which started in 1996
Nope. The series was named "Airline - Inside British Airways" it was broadcast in 1990.

Episode 1
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by ACARS
Nope. The series was named "Airline - Inside British Airways" it was broadcast in 1990.

Episode 1
Fascinating to compare; completely different era. Great emphasis on flying and the challenges involved. Great to see Concorde in the take off line up. Style of Documentary a very traditional narration; think this could work on Today's BA showing warts n all lol
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by joejet
not always
Fine, I stand corrected (albeit unlikely that this would be served in First) the general point seems to have been lost about the lack of knowledge/training regarding wines as also witnessed by LadyB after being served Champagne when asking for Chablis.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:14 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Let's contract with each other

Can we please all contract with each that there will be no further one-upmanship on the colour of Merlot in this thread?

Thank you and have a greaaaaat flight guys!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by MaximusDecimusMeridius
Can we please all contract with each that there will be no further one-upmanship on the colour of Merlot in this thread?

Thank you and have a greaaaaat flight guys!
I agree!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'll bet you 10,000 Avios Jodi doesn't make it past round two.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by joejet
not always

see here
To be clear, the red colour of red wine comes from the skin, not the pulp. The pulp of red grapes used in winemaking are rarely a red colour at all - more green. Therefore, it is quite normal to be able to have white wine made from red grapes. With all the talk of Champagne, on FT, we should know that it is predominately Pinot Meunier, Pinot Noir (both red) and of course Chardonnay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.