Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Peter M
The point of the four snapshots is for all the trainees to put their best efforts into the training in order to keep standards high. The British are famous for judging and stereotyping a person harshly for poor elocution, and forming a negative opinion about that persons character or lifestyle. While someone with a perfect speaking manner is often deemed to be snooty, aloof, and trying to make themselves superior. Think of Hyacinth Bucket from "Keeping Up Appearances." When you fly BA you will hear all forms of regional accents and elocution imperfections. My favorite accents are the old time BA 747 pilots called "Nigel's", who tend to speak 1950's forms of English which can be reassuring that they have had a lot of education and experience. It's human nature, we just can't help judging people by the way they speak based on our preconceptions.
I agree with much of what you say, but I'd argue that its not human nature, but upbringing. People inherit prejudices from the environment around them.

I do my utmost to not make assumptions about people based on how they speak; the message they are conveying is the important thing.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by xenole
The chef was on board during the fake flight to HKG that never left the ground.
He talked about the crew getting a better understanding of how things worked and the timings.
What about the Heston experiment where they put the head chef and HB into a simulated cabin and the head chef "discovered" that the sense of taste was different at 30,000ft. Are BA not testing meals like this to check suitability?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Social Class

Originally Posted by Paralytic
A wonder if those on hear complaining about the way Jodie speaks have ever considered what others think of them when they speak. All our accents are regional to someone from a different part of the UK.
Not just regional but also social class also has a big play. I have always wondered from the way some people comment on forums like this if the minimum social class of cabin crew to work in BA needs to be middle class and above.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
A wonder if those on hear complaining about the way Jodie speaks have ever considered what others think of them when they speak. All our accents are regional to someone from a different part of the UK.
Fair comment, but the overuse of the word 'like' drives me insane.

I'm like totally like over it.

Whatevah.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:36 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by callum9999
Her speech is nowhere near as bad as you are implying it is...
Suggest you listen to her again. I immediately picked up on the huge and incorrect overuse of the word "like" multiple times in a sentence on more than one occasion. And she certainly used words such as "fink", "fort" etc rather than the correct "think" and "thought". Is just lazy and sloppy IMHO. Thankfully I didn't hear any "whateva", or "init" or "mush" from the girl ^

Originally Posted by callum9999
I also think your first line is incredibly offensive. Do strong regional accents also disqualify you from being allowed to be "a typical face of Britishness" (whatever that's supposed to mean...)?
Well you have like, well to-ally, to-ally misunderstood me my friend init. Regional accents are of course ok.....I would have zero problem with the young Jodie's sarf-ov-the-river type accent - provided she didn't use the word "like" every 3-4 words and "fink" and "fort" etc.

So are you like, awight wivvat bruv?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:58 am

I'll just lay down my copy of the Morning Star...

As a small town girl myself, I applaud Jodi's desire to get on and see the world. More power to her elbow. I very much hope she succeeds.

I humbly suggest to those denigrating her that you reap what you sow. Things took a turn for the unpleasant in this parish during the strikes. Many here took the line that BA needed to cut costs and slash what it pays for labour.

Jodi is what the prospect of an MF contract attracts.

I suspect the intersection of the Venn diagram between those who lauded WW for "taking on the unions" and those whining about Jodi's social poise whilst raising their hands in dismay at the prospect of her one day pouring their Montrachet in F and, horror of horrors, pronouncing the terminal consonant is not insignificant.

If you want savoir-faire from your recruits, you're gonna have to pay them more than 19k a year.

You can't have it both ways.

Last edited by knifeandfork; Jun 5, 2014 at 10:40 am
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Gold

what is people's problem with jodie? give the girl a break! so what she does not speak the queen's English! I couldn't care less! if she did get a job with BA and she served me on board a flight as long as she was polite and carried out her duties that's all that matters! I cannot see what difference it makes if someone is very well spoken or is not! if she looked after me with food and drink on board and I was happy the way she speaks is irrelevant!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by knifeandfork
As a small town girl myself, I applaud Jodi's desire to get on and see the world. More power to her elbow. I very much hope she succeeds.

I humbly suggest to those denigrating her that you reap what you so. Things took a turn for the unpleasant in this parish during the strikes. Many here took the line that BA needed to cut costs and slash what it pays for labour.

I suspect the intersection of the Venn diagram between those who lauded WW for "taking on the unions" and those whining about Jodi's social poise whilst raising their hands in dismay at the prospect of her one day pouring their Montrachet in F and, horror of horrors, pronouncing the terminal consonant is not insignificant.

If you want savoir-faire from your recruits, you're gonna have to pay them more than 19k a year.

Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:09 am

Furthermore: Jodi or this?

I've wheeled this out before. I can't apologise for doing so again:

Kiss Me Goodnight Sgt. Major
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:09 am

I humbly suggest to those denigrating her that you reap what you so. Things took a turn for the unpleasant in this parish during the strikes. Many here took the line that BA needed to cut costs and slash what it pays for labour.

Well said. I agree. Just wait until the episode on Pilot recruitment/training airs.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:47 am

This webpage states 12k basic

http://www.britishairways.com/career...abincrew.shtml

So whilst it may well get to 19k basic, the basic salary won't do anyfink to attract the hoity toity types (BA = U2 = LS = FR etc)
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:57 am
BOH

Originally Posted by Padmeister
what is people's problem with jodie? give the girl a break! so what she does not speak the queen's English! I couldn't care less! if she did get a job with BA and she served me on board a flight as long as she was polite and carried out her duties that's all that matters! I cannot see what difference it makes if someone is very well spoken or is not! if she looked after me with food and drink on board and I was happy the way she speaks is irrelevant!
That's exactly what I mean about over the years it has become completely acceptable for people to use very poor and sloppy English. And I mean basic things such as not using "th", completely dropping "t" and "tt" out of words and generally using dreadful yoof speak.......particularly every 4th or 5th word in a sentence being, "like" to describe a situation or conversation someone has had.

I am certainly not asking for someone on BA to be very well spoken (I have bolded your mention of this) - certainly not the old BBC newsreader style plummy English of the 1950s.

I simply think in a prime customer facing role in a blue-chip company such as BA, their staff should be able to converse in basic English, not the lazy, sloppy version that has become so completely acceptable for some in the last 20 years.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Padmeister
what is people's problem with jodie? give the girl a break! so what she does not speak the queen's English! if she looked after me with food and drink on board and I was happy the way she speaks is irrelevant!
"She ain' done nai'nk" as they say around here (northern Kent being the home of Estuary English, although Jodie doesn't have as strong an accent as many have around here). Presumably BA don't have a problem with her accent, unless there's some training later on in the programme to address accents.

While I admit it'd be a bit jarring perhaps to hear cabin crew using terms like "wa' er" - I'm not sure how to represent the glottal stop - I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes more common over time. It certainly wouldn't bother me, although as I work in a school where the youngsters overwhelmingly have an Estuary accent I'm used to hearing it!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by BOH
I simply think in a prime customer facing role in a blue-chip company such as BA, their staff should be able to converse in basic English, not the lazy, sloppy version that has become so completely acceptable for some in the last 20 years.
Fine.

Then BA has to pay for that. And the UK education system has to provide that.

Again: you can't have it both ways. You can't have a body of cabin crew who know their white Burgundy from their Armagnac and pay them 12k p.a. plus benefits.

Truly, you get what you pay for.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 11:13 am
BOH

Fine.

Then BA has to pay for that. And the UK education system has to provide that.

Again: you can't have it both ways. You can't have a body of cabin crew who know their white Burgundy from their Armagnac and pay them 12k p.a. plus benefits.

Truly, you get what you pay for.
They do manage it because I didn't hear anything quite so grating from the other recruits on the course. Only one recruit stood out negatively......as soon as the sentence with the multiple "like" word was uttered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.