Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by indianwells
My PA is 23, uses the word "like" too much and I often have to correct her spelling, but she is quick as a hiccup, learns extremely quickly, and remembers absolutely everything. In fact, like most women she is an expert at putting me in my place when needed!
Does she also post on flyertalk for you?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by SukiB
Should we start a scratch thread?
A snapshot thread too.

I couldn't give a stuff if a cabin crew member had ladders in her (or his) tights, I'm far more concerned with

Captains leaving the engine bonnet open
Captains driving in to buildings
Cabin crew laughing while serving blind people
being addressed as "you guys"
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Must cabin crew's long hair be put in a bun?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Speedbird876
Probably a decent alternative to the steak.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:13 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Probably a decent alternative to the steak.

Thanks for that, my tea has just ended up going somewhere it wasn't intended to go.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Are you ... suggesting that cabin crew is 'women's work'?
Short answer: no, with clarifications

Long answer: I do think that the average young lady would be more likely to find a spell as cabin crew a relatively better option for post-school experience than the average young gentleman.

My reasoning is that a cabin crew job involves a huge amount of multitasking and tremendous interpersonal skills, which ladies tend to be better at than gentlemen (who in their turn might prefer a more linear option).

My experience is that in terms of service satisfaction in a transport environment (which includes trains as well as planes) good lady > good gentleman > bad gentleman > bad lady.

I note that I have experienced great service from gentlemen cabin crew. But the best of the gentlemen have not been as good as the best of the ladies. I acknowledge that a sample of one is not necessarily significant.

Accordingly in the interests of encouraging people to join a field that they can excel in I would be more likely to recommend cabin crew to a lady than a gentleman. This does not mean that I would never recommend that a gentleman train to serve in the cabin or always recommend that a lady enter the corps of crew.

I realise that this type of view is at variance with what many people consider socially acceptable. And to those people I apologise for any offence caused. I also admit that as a man I am probably more likely to be swayed by a smiling lady than a smiling gentleman and my view may be prejudiced as a result. But this does not change the fact that I hold these views and have based them on experience.

Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by V10

Thanks for that, my tea has just ended up going somewhere it wasn't intended to go.
If the staff serving the purportedly "First Class" coaches on my East Coast service could be bothered to serve me more than one drink the last 90 minutes, I probably would also have done the same.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
If the staff serving the purportedly "First Class" coaches on my East Coast service could be bothered to serve me more than one drink the last 90 minutes, I probably would also have done the same.
Think yourself lucky, my last debacle with TPE resulted with no, as advertised, at seat catering in First due to my booked seat being in the wrong part of the train. Not bad for a 200 ticket eh?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Short answer: no, with clarifications

Long answer: I do think that the average young lady would be more likely to find a spell as cabin crew a relatively better option for post-school experience than the average young gentleman.

My reasoning is that a cabin crew job involves a huge amount of multitasking and tremendous interpersonal skills, which ladies tend to be better at than gentlemen (who in their turn might prefer a more linear option).

My experience is that in terms of service satisfaction in a transport environment (which includes trains as well as planes) good lady > good gentleman > bad gentleman > bad lady.

I note that I have experienced great service from gentlemen cabin crew. But the best of the gentlemen have not been as good as the best of the ladies. I acknowledge that a sample of one is not necessarily significant.

Accordingly in the interests of encouraging people to join a field that they can excel in I would be more likely to recommend cabin crew to a lady than a gentleman. This does not mean that I would never recommend that a gentleman train to serve in the cabin or always recommend that a lady enter the corps of crew.

I realise that this type of view is at variance with what many people consider socially acceptable. And to those people I apologise for any offence caused. I also admit that as a man I am probably more likely to be swayed by a smiling lady than a smiling gentleman and my view may be prejudiced as a result. But this does not change the fact that I hold these views and have based them on experience.

I wonder what your views are on ladies who fail to clean behind the fridge? This thread is one of the most depressing I've ever read on this forum
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
Originally Posted by Speedbird876
No, but it has to be tied back and must not hang below the bottom edge of your shirt collar.
Because young girls often have long hair, it means there are lots of buns on M/F because it is the easiest style to adopt when you have long hair.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
Although I note you are using about 2-3 times the words I do in responding each time. Sorry, who did you say it was spending an "awfully long time typing"?
As I didn't say I loathe typing on here, I hardly see how that is relevant. My comment was not about how much you were physically typing, it was about how long you were typing in your horribly exaggerated "chavvy yoof" accent - something you claim to despise.

This thread certainly has bought out a few discriminatory opinions from people who previously seemed to be completely normal, tolerant people!
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
OK. I am now ready for Episode 2 to begin. Since the taste we have been given is of the JFK CCR, we can look forward to a week of analysis of the Umericans talking with British accents....
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:01 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by callum9999
As I didn't say I loathe typing on here, I hardly see how that is relevant. My comment was not about how much you were physically typing, it was about how long you were typing in your horribly exaggerated "chavvy yoof" accent - something you claim to despise.

This thread certainly has bought out a few discriminatory opinions from people who previously seemed to be completely normal, tolerant people!
It has, you should be ashamed of yourself
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
I agree with most of the points already made here.

As mentioned, so many BA staff looked terrible in make-up. Perhaps if BA want a 'lipstick-and-blusher-at-a-minimum rule' then they should hold a few sessions on proper application, just like they do with uniforms? it'd reduce the clown-face incidences

If I was in charge of deportment in BA, I'd ban fake eylelashes. Aside from the OTT look, aren't they a food hygiene risk?

Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink
Yep. She also murdered another cepage but I can't remember exactly...! Made me laugh.
shab-lay, wasnt' it?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
If I remember it correctly she was doing some of these checks immediately before the inaugural flight but AFTER the BA staff training exercises so a bit late to be identifying faults like scratches etc as they could have been caused by BA staff rather than a defect on the delivered plane.
No, you are remembering incorrectly. She said that the scratch was originally found during her 2-day pre-delivery checks. She was just showing the cameras that it wasn't there. It isn't easy to tell from the edit exactly when the filmed piece fits in. It could be she was on the staff flight and wanted to make sure that the repairs were done, or more likely it wasn't really her doing a real check and the segment was filmed as a piece of TV with her describing the interior and the sort of checks that she had previously done, in order to demonstrate the narrative that BA strive for perfection on their first class interiors, whatever the reality of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.