Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by LadyB
I would imagine that I have a regional accent, certainly my daughters do, in fact they have an Essex accent, although they weren't born in Essex, it's pretty much where they've all grown up. That said, they don't use all those awful 'Esex-isms' so prevalent now but they do occasionally drop their 'aitches'..
What is an Essex accent? May I ask where your daughters have grown up? I guess the part of Essex that is closer to east London?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
The chef

Originally Posted by aks120

In fact it was the chef in the programme that I disliked the most! He came across as arrogant and self opinionated - I would love to have seen his face when the feedback about the food started to come in from the First pax! It may be worth him reading the reviews on the food and being a little less worried about sauces and a bit more worried about taste!

aks120
The "chef" is Mark Tazzioli (I don't believe he has any previous experience as a chef at Michelin or 5 star hotel level) and he is making the same mistakes that Heston Blumenthal corrected him on years ago the Channel 4 documentary - "Heston's Mission Impossible - British Airways". He was shown how he could still use the old ovens and not have to invest in new ones and also test food in the air and not on the ground.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by icegirl
The "chef" is Mark Tazzioli (I don't believe he has any previous experience as a chef at Michelin or 5 star hotel level) and he is making the same mistakes that Heston Blumenthal corrected him on years ago the Channel 4 documentary - "Heston's Mission Impossible - British Airways". He was shown how he could still use the old ovens and not have to invest in new ones and also test food in the air and not on the ground.
Is he even a chef? In the couple of articles I've read he is described as 'menu design manager' and no mention of any sort of chefy experience or qualifications.

http://highlife.ba.com/News-And-Blog...n-Manager.html

http://www.catererandhotelkeeper.co....k-tazzioli.htm
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
Not at all. I have already said I have no problem with the accent of the girl (or any accent for that matter). But I do think it lazy and sloppy for anyone (regardless of background or accent) to drop into this awful chavvy yoof speak that is so prevalent nowadays.

So to be clear, if it was someone with a frightfully posh accent who also used the word "like" inappropriately, used an "f" rather than a "th" etc, I would think the same. Nothing to do with class, snobbery or anything pretentious....regardless of background it just grates I'm afraid.
How she speaks IS her accent... Pronunciation is a pretty important aspect of accent - most UK regions use the same words, it's how we say them that seperates the accents. Not that her way of speaking is "chavvy yoof speak".

You aren't being clear at all - you randomly switch between talking about her specifically and "yoof" in general with no distinction over who or what you're whinging about. If you think her manner of speech does come under "chavvy yoof" then I reiterate my previous thoughts on your manner. Though I'm not convinced you even remember how she speaks as every description you've given of it so far has been wildly inaccurate.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ACARS
Nope. The series was named "Airline - Inside British Airways" it was broadcast in 1990.

Episode 1
What an excellent show. It shows the way that documentaries have developed over the years from being fairly narrowly focussed but with depth, to the modern trend of being more broadly focussed but rather shallow so as not to alienate the perceived audience. Oh how clever we must have been in those days to be able to assimilate all the information presented.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:13 am
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Grande Annee
What is an Essex accent? May I ask where your daughters have grown up? I guess the part of Essex that is closer to east London?
Correct, we live reasonably close to East London, City Airport is approximately half an hours drive away. For myself, I was born in Cambridgeshire but have lived where we live for 21 years so I know my accent has altered over the years to that of a more Essex one.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:04 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by callum9999
How she speaks IS her accent... Pronunciation is a pretty important aspect of accent - most UK regions use the same words, it's how we say them that seperates the accents. Not that her way of speaking is "chavvy yoof speak".

You aren't being clear at all - you randomly switch between talking about her specifically and "yoof" in general with no distinction over who or what you're whinging about. If you think her manner of speech does come under "chavvy yoof" then I reiterate my previous thoughts on your manner. Though I'm not convinced you even remember how she speaks as every description you've given of it so far has been wildly inaccurate.
Ok mush, you know me better than I do myself....that's amazing init! Catch you later, just arrived at Portsmuff and Sarfsea station so gotta go.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Using the word 'like' in every sentence has come from certain members of our American cousins. It is no reflection on education or class. You can go to the pubs of SW London and hear ex public school boys/girls doing exactly the same, and many will have high powered jobs in banking/advertising etc.

If it upsets you, I suggest you lobby the US reality shows that made this lazy speech mainstream.
My mother always used to say that if you used 'like' too much it was a sign of growing up in Bracknell.

(I went to school in Crowthorne so what do I know...?)
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Originally Posted by LadyB
Correct, we live reasonably close to East London, City Airport is approximately half an hours drive away. For myself, I was born in Cambridgeshire but have lived where we live for 21 years so I know my accent has altered over the years to that of a more Essex one.
What you have is an east London accent, not an Essex one. I was born in Chelmsford, and I do not have an accent like you or your daughters. My parents were both born in Chelmsford and have lived there all there lives and they have what I would call a proper Essex accent which is quite similar to a Suffolk accent. Nothing like what you call an "Essex accent".
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knifeandfork
The three that were highlighted through the edit were Jodi, the "ebullient" Patrick who got sh!tcanned and the girl we saw being very impressive with her fire dill in the lavs. We have no idea about the rest

My money is on the "narrative" that Jodi is a girl from the wrong side of the tracks, someone who skirts extremely funking close to a failing number of "snapshots" and yet triumphs in the end.
Yes, that is how I read it too. I must say that I am rather surprised by some of the comments in this thread. We must have had, what, some 20 odd years or so of "reality TV" and people still take it at face value as if it were a faithful and undistorted portrayal of "reality"?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Ok mush, you know me better than I do myself....that's amazing init! Catch you later, just arrived at Portsmuff and Sarfsea station so gotta go.
For someone who despises that way of speaking so much you deem anyone who speaks that way "unworthy" of representing Britain, you've spent an awfully long time typing like it!

I don't know if your "comedy" is trying to distract me from your horribly judgemental views, but if so it's not working!
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Is he even a chef? In the couple of articles I've read he is described as 'menu design manager' and no mention of any sort of chefy experience or qualifications.
At QR the menu development team has the following members:

1x Menu Development Manager
3x Menu Development Chef.

The Menu Development Manager is most certainly a chef and all the Menu Development Chef's call him 'Chef'.

I am sure that it is the same at BA.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: TK Gold, FB Silver, A3 Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by BOH
If I remotely knew what you might be suggesting I'd try and answer
'Try to answer', I think you'll find.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lfc84
So whilst it may well get to 19k basic, the basic salary won't do anyfink to attract the hoity toity types (BA = U2 = LS = FR etc)
If I had a daughter I would encourage her to spend a few years as cabin crew rather than or before going to university. I hope I would be happy to 'top-up' the salary as required and in the manner of doting Dads worldwide.

I think that time spent as cabin crew is still an excellent investment for a young lady whatever her background for the following reasons:

i) see the world, including "difficult" countries and exposure to "strange" cultures
ii) university of life - after a few years those girls are really strong mentally
iii) learn how to deal with difficult people, both passengers and managers
iv) opportunity to marry an airline executive or captain.

If my daughter then wanted to be a lawyer, doctor or some such then she could apply to university and be in a strong position for jobs afterwards due to her life skills gained as crew. If she wanted to be an airline executive then opportunities would be open to her at the airline.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mfhstid
'Try to answer', I think you'll find.
I like, like

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.