Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by c1223
Oh how we laughed when she complained about an invisible scratch on seat 4K on the A380...!
That sentence was just ridiculous....really...they should look at the status of some 747 and 767...also the 320s look very nasty...
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:10 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Thought they were being rather, er, economical with the truth when the narration mentioned that a "technical problem" caused the Olso Airbus engine fire .....
They also said it was an Airbus A320, when it was (iirc) a 319.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by andset1191
They also said it was an Airbus A320, when it was (iirc) a 319.
Indeed, but Airbus class the 320, 318,319, and 321 as the 320 series - presumably the nomenclature is the same with BA?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:58 am

Every time I heard "snapshots" I thought of Progressive Insurance and Flo (the spokesperson and annoying hawker). Is snapshot a better word for demerit?

I did like the engineering parts.

I wonder if they will do a show on annoying pax or DYKWIA?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:03 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by deeruck
Didn't he try it on the ground test "flight"? He wasn't on the revenue flight.
There was a clip of him early on in the episode on board the A380 during a meal service commenting on how the ovens on board were not what he expected.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:22 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Originally Posted by happymom2008
I wonder if they will do a show on annoying pax or DYKWIA?
God I hope not... That old ITV show "Airline" was basically 30 minutes of complaining and crying pax, who had missed their flight for assorted reasons. Dull, frustrating television.

Passengers are the least interesting thing about an airport documentary!

Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Howard Long
There was a clip of him early on in the episode on board the A380 during a meal service commenting on how the ovens on board were not what he expected.
Could be more down to available space than anything else?
Easier in a large kitchen where you can experiment than in a cramped space with other people working.

Originally Posted by McCoy
God I hope not... That old ITV show "Airline" was basically 30 minutes of complaining and crying pax, who had missed their flight for assorted reasons. Dull, frustrating television.

I love that show and all similar airline and customs shows. Wish they would make more as I've seen them all countless times (along with the US version featuring Southwest and the Aussie one, Air Ways, with Tiger Air)

Airline used to show Easyjet in a positive light where they would go out of their way to help people but after some takeovers / rebranding etc., they became "tough s**t!" to just about everyone.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:59 am

I could be remembering it wrong as I don't recall him actually using those words, but I thought that was during the test flight as well - where the passengers were all BA staff and it never left the ground.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:19 am

The chef was on board during the fake flight to HKG that never left the ground.
He talked about the crew getting a better understanding of how things worked and the timings.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:35 am

As well as the cringeworthiness of "contracting with each other" (does that mean the crew all go on a team diet?), it was with much frustration that their chef only got to try the ovens in F on the A380 for real when he was on the plane on its first revenue flight to LAX.

This is one of the two fundamental problems with the catering in BA F. As well as the chef not having the same equipment on the ground to test his creations with, I also noticed that the diner on his own testing the food on the ground was, just like the Gatwick telly program a couple of years back, someone who wouldn't know a croquette potato from a confit duck.

And by the way, coincidentally I had confit duck a couple of weeks ago LHR-DFW in F and somewhat unsurprisingly, it was a sorry tale of overdone grey chewy carpet. May be that croquette potato would have been nicer.

(On the plus side I had a yummy braised beef with a spicy sauce JNB-LHR last week in F, but sadly not enough sauce).
The 'lets contract with each other CSM' im sure he used to work for Britannia years ago, minus the goaty ??? But really mindless management speak where everyone is rolling there eyes inside there head, think WHAT?? Just cant help thinking a lot of the trainers, CSM etc. were very patronising.

I couldn't help thinking also that you can get treated better getting paid more else where....
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Speedbirdjclass
I couldn't help thinking also that you can get treated better getting paid more else where....
Yeah, but as they said (i.e. Jess), and has been said here, the image people get is that it's a glamorous career where you spend a few hours flying somewhere exotic, laze around on a beach for a few days and then fly back again.
No shortage of people wanting that over the drudgery that could something like 9-5 behind the tills at Tesco.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by McCoy

I'd like to see some bit of humor in the show. I also would love to see more infrastructure. I know two totally different things, unless the mechanics/engineers have a sense of humor!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by xenole
Yeah, but as they said (i.e. Jess), and has been said here, the image people get is that it's a glamorous career where you spend a few hours flying somewhere exotic, laze around on a beach for a few days and then fly back again.
No shortage of people wanting that over the drudgery that could something like 9-5 behind the tills at Tesco.
Very true - but with so many people wanting the job I think that says something about there recruitment processes - you should be able to recruitment good people that know how to and will behave properly - not recruit bad people due to bad processes and beat with a stick......

Also doesn't matter what anybody says unless your other half has money or you are joining later in life having made plenty unfortunately it will attract people with lesser skills, young in experienced people. People who earn a lot or are highly skilled will go elsewhere. A colleague of mine has just left my company, taken a 40k pay cut and gone to MF. She can do it due t her other half.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by happymom2008
I also would love to see more infrastructure.
^^ This ^^

I'd actually quite enjoy watching an entire series on the infrastructure side of BA - trying to keep the 20-year-old 747s in reasonable condition is bound to take up at least 2 or 3 episodes!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by CraigWatson
^^ This ^^

I'd actually quite enjoy watching an entire series on the infrastructure side of BA - trying to keep the 20-year-old 747s in reasonable condition is bound to take up at least 2 or 3 episodes!
Not for me. Really not interested in techies playing with engines. Zzzzz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.